Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 11:55 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I was in Beaver, Utah last year staying overnight. It's a small town with a KOA campground.

At the local grocery I saw a woman in a dress that covered everything from her neck to her feet. I learned later this is a prairie dress and it's the standard uniform of Mormon Fundamentalist women. As I was leaving two more women in prairie dresses came in. The first one nodded to them. But none spoke. They gave me the creeps.

Later I found articles online from the local paper about FLDS buying lots of land and moving into Beaver.
Attack of the zombie wives!

Unfortunately, not funny...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 11:57 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Not Orthodox Jews, but Hasidic Jews. Here's a quick guide to the difference:

"Hasidic Vs Orthodox. What’s the difference? Let me get right down to it: Hasidic Jews are a sect/movement within Orthodox Judaism. All Hasidic Jews are Orthodox, but not all Orthodox Jews are Hasidic. There are various sects within Orthodox Judaism and the Hasidic movement is only one of them."

The Hasidic Jews aren't polygamous, but they are very strict with their members, especially the women. Many of the Hasidic Jews are often on welfare because the men don't have marketable skills and the women have a large number of children.

As a matter of fact, except for the polygamy and possibly underage marriages, they're very similar to FLDS (many special needs children because of inbreeding, lack of schooling, keeping the women under strict control, and both groups being busted for food stamp fraud) and should also be a target of concern. This article gives some of the reasons why.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/insular-h...ressures-build

Is that the Jewish sect, that requires women to hide their hair, so the women buy special wigs to cover their hair with? My hairdresser told me about that.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:14 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,452,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Is that the Jewish sect, that requires women to hide their hair, so the women buy special wigs to cover their hair with? My hairdresser told me about that.
A number of different things are getting conflated in this thread, even just within the discussion or mention of Jewish women wearing wigs, which is not restricted just to the extreme sects such as the Ultra-Orthodox.

Rather than discuss it here, maybe a visit to City-Data's Judaism forum would provide better information.

//www.city-data.com/forum/judaism/

Old 02-20-2019, 08:38 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
A number of different things are getting conflated in this thread, even just within the discussion or mention of Jewish women wearing wigs, which is not restricted just to the extreme sects such as the Ultra-Orthodox.

Rather than discuss it here, maybe a visit to City-Data's Judaism forum would provide better information.

//www.city-data.com/forum/judaism/
Even there the correct terminology is not agreed upon. Some are offended by the term 'Ultra-Orthodox'. 'Hasidic' doesn't cover all the sects that do similar or the same things.

Old 02-20-2019, 11:52 PM

10,342 posts, read 5,864,111 times
Because some people don’t know what they’re talking about, but that never prevents them from contributing

Old 02-23-2019, 02:04 PM

91 posts, read 31,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
They purchased land to probably try and build another compound like they had in Texas. Hope it gets stopped!!
Seth Jeffs, brother of polygamist cult leader, purchases land for compound on Minnesota's North Shore | City Pages
I'm trying to understand your reasoning here. His brother was convicted of a crime, so therefore he shouldn't be permitted to buy land?

Old 02-24-2019, 07:26 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,371,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Isn't that kinda what government's for? Setting national standards in certain arenas, and enforcing them? Desegregation, child labor laws, etc.?

Who were the "certain segments"?
The group that sits at the end of the bar who mutters it after their 5th drink and never votes.

Old 02-24-2019, 03:20 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,188,904 times
U
Quote:
Originally Posted by rftw View Post
I'm trying to understand your reasoning here. His brother was convicted of a crime, so therefore he shouldn't be permitted to buy land?
More likely wanting to build another compound like the one in Texas, I think one in South Dakota too to continue there religious sect (cult). Why would we want that?
If he wants to hide out all by himself fine but don't want a him to be able to expand the sect in Minnesota. Why, do you support this way of life?
Texas compound:https://www.gosanangelo.com/story/ne...ado/454282002/

South Dakota:https://www.rollingstone.com/culture...mpound-788509/

Last edited by Izzie1213; 02-24-2019 at 03:41 PM..

Old 02-24-2019, 03:47 PM

91 posts, read 31,653 times
Quote:
More likely wanting to build another compound like the one in Texas, I think one in South Dakota too to continue there religious sect (cult). Why would we want that?
If he wants to hide out all by himself fine but don't want a him to be able to expand the sect in Minnesota. Why, do you support this way of life?
That he wants to build another "compound" is pure speculation. You have no idea what his intentions are, yet you think it's OK to step in and prevent him from buying land? We don't have to want it, because it doesn't concern us. It's frankly not our business.

I support people being allowed to live within a community that is outside the mainstream, certainly.

Old 02-24-2019, 04:56 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,483,680 times
Quote:
U

Texas compound:https://www.gosanangelo.com/story/ne...ado/454282002/

South Dakota:https://www.rollingstone.com/culture...mpound-788509/
It's not a matter of wanting it. You've heard of the Fourteenth Amendment? Equal Protection of the Law, and all that? Sorry, "his brother committed a repugnant crime!" isn't cause for denying a land purchase.

And this: your insinuation that anyone who supports equal protection actually supported every application of it is pathetic. How about free speech? Do you support that, or only when you approve of the speech? Basic rights protect everyone, no matter how much you or I might dislike them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events