Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 11:06 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritualBaseball View Post
Well
There was a poster. I can't believe anyone was ever taken advantage of
Right? Like a place that knowingly cheats employees of their wages is going to make sure that poster is upfront and glaringly visible for the employees.
Pfffft where I work there is about a nine foot stretch of wall absolutely covered in permits, required posters from OSHA the DOL, the state governing boards, company policies, emergency preparedness and response, contact info for work/life balance problems, the current charity goal we're supporting, the company picnic, and whatever else. I think our version of that poster hangs right next to our seed and live plants permits, a really prime spot. I'm sure everyone we've ever hired has spent twenty minutes of their own time reading that wall of paper too.

I think it's pretty despicable that instead of placing the blame on businesses that cheat their employees you're trying to deflect the blame back onto the inexperienced or less educated people working for them.

The argument is whether what is supposed to happen actually happens. The answer is no, it doesn't always happen, in spite of laws and posters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2019, 01:02 PM

17,184 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Right? Like a place that knowingly cheats employees of their wages is going to make sure that poster is upfront and glaringly visible for the employees.
Pfffft where I work there is about a nine foot stretch of wall absolutely covered in permits, required posters from OSHA the DOL, the state governing boards, company policies, emergency preparedness and response, contact info for work/life balance problems, the current charity goal we're supporting, the company picnic, and whatever else. I think our version of that poster hangs right next to our seed and live plants permits, a really prime spot. I'm sure everyone we've ever hired has spent twenty minutes of their own time reading that wall of paper too.

I think it's pretty despicable that instead of placing the blame on businesses that cheat their employees you're trying to deflect the blame back onto the inexperienced or less educated people working for them.

The argument is whether what is supposed to happen actually happens. The answer is no, it doesn't always happen, in spite of laws and posters.
That's too bad for you and for the people who get cheated. The smarter individuals (and yes, this has everything to do with intelligence. I was also a 16-18 year old worker, not too long ago, and was well aware of employment laws) will quickly learn and move on.

By the way, I once reported an employer of mine for not paying OT wages. It did not take long to receive a stipend. I quit the job. Received a check in the mail within a month. An investigation was launched against the company, and they were forced to pay out millions of dollars to underpaid employees, including me. (If you'd like, I'll post actual links to online documents about this company.) In short, I received money for my unpaid OT AND a check from the ensuing lawsuit. The lawsuit took a while, but the OT check did not. Gee, I wonder how I was able to do this with relatively no effort, while these poor, naive kids are getting shanked by their employers. I have no pity for them.

Every 18 year old knows about minimum wage and OT pay. At least, I would HOPE they do. When you realize you're not making what you're supposed to, it falls on you to act upon it.

If you know of employers who illegally pay their employees low wages, why aren't you reporting them? The world would be a much better place without them, don't you think? I don't know of any such companies, but apparently you do. All it takes is a simple phone call or e-mail. If you're not doing anything about it, perhaps the "despicable" one is the very person looking right back at you in the mirror.

Old 03-12-2019, 01:09 PM

293 posts, read 121,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
yes, this has everything to do with intelligence
Citation requested

Old 03-12-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Citation requested
Do you need one? If someone decides to ignore laws directly involving their pay, and decide to stay employed by someone blatantly cheating them out of money, they are pretty stupid.

Old 03-12-2019, 01:18 PM

Back on topic: Uber and Uber Eats (and the like) workers are 1099 employees. This is very different from employers cheating them out of money. Their wages depend solely on miles driven and tips. So if they deliver **** poor service, their income suffers.

Old 03-12-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Do you need one?
Yes.

Old 03-12-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Yes.
Stupid people blame others for their own mistakes

It’s very noticeable, unprofessional, and something a smart person would never do. If you consistently try to foist your mistakes off on others, you demonstrate to everyone that you can’t be the sharpest tool in the shed.

Stupid people don’t like taking responsibility for their mistakes. They prefer to wallow in self-pity or just go straight to playing the blame game.

Travis Bradberry, author of the bestseller "Emotional Intelligence 2.0.", knows how telling this behavior really is.

"It's never a good idea to cast blame. Be accountable. If you had any role — no matter how small — in whatever went wrong, own it," Bradbury advises in a guest contribution for "Inc.". "The moment you start pointing fingers is the moment people start seeing you as someone who lacks accountability for his or her actions."

Smart people also know that every mistake is a chance to learn to do better next time. A neurological study conducted by Jason S. Moser of Michigan State University has shown that the brains of smart people actually react differently to mistakes.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0930153048.htm

Not educating oneself about labor laws: Mistake. (Blame the employer)

Maxing out credit cards at an early age and falling into massive debt: mistake. (Blame the education system.)

Etc.

Old 03-12-2019, 01:33 PM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
How about instead of calling them stupid people we go with uneducated, inexperienced, maybe English as a second language. It's not like everyone working at a restaurant is working their way through lawschool. So what? Those people need jobs too. That doesn't make them to blame for what their employers do illegally. Their employers know better, even if the employee doesn't. You seem to think it's ok for an employer to take advantage of an employee if they can get away with it.

Old 03-12-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
How about instead of calling them stupid people we go with uneducated, inexperienced, maybe English as a second language. It's not like everyone working at a restaurant is working their way through lawschool. So what? Those people need jobs too. That doesn't make them to blame for what their employers do illegally. Their employers know better, even if the employee doesn't. You seem to think it's ok for an employer to take advantage of an employee if they can get away with it.
Where are you getting this? I said I reported an employer whom I knew to be violating labor laws, and that if you know of any, you should too.

Old 03-12-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Stupid people blame others for their own mistakes

It’s very noticeable, unprofessional, and something a smart person would never do. If you consistently try to foist your mistakes off on others, you demonstrate to everyone that you can’t be the sharpest tool in the shed.

Stupid people don’t like taking responsibility for their mistakes. They prefer to wallow in self-pity or just go straight to playing the blame game.

Travis Bradberry, author of the bestseller "Emotional Intelligence 2.0.", knows how telling this behavior really is.

"It's never a good idea to cast blame. Be accountable. If you had any role — no matter how small — in whatever went wrong, own it," Bradbury advises in a guest contribution for "Inc.". "The moment you start pointing fingers is the moment people start seeing you as someone who lacks accountability for his or her actions."
Who's ths Bradberry guy?
And why do you believe him?
Where did you quote this material from?

Quote:
Smart people also know that every mistake is a chance to learn to do better next time. A neurological study conducted by Jason S. Moser of Michigan State University has shown that the brains of smart people actually react differently to mistakes.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0930153048.htm
How does this support your argument?

This talks about how people learn from their mistakes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events