Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 10:39 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,355,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I don't think they can see the tip until after the order is delivered...

Then how would they know the tip was only 89 cents?

It is possible they're just being idiots regardless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 10:49 AM

17,155 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Then how would they know the tip was only 89 cents?

It is possible they're just being idiots regardless.
I have no idea.

I just know that I normally tip them after my order is delivered -- there is that option in the app (why the **** would I tip for service BEFORE getting the service? Defeats the purpose of a tip)

I doubt that the drivers are there thinking I'm a no-tipper.

Old 03-05-2019, 10:56 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,287,862 times
Quote:
I have no idea.

I just know that I normally tip them after my order is delivered -- there is that option in the app (why the **** would I tip for service BEFORE getting the service? Defeats the purpose of a tip)

I've ordered delivery pizza a couple of times lately. The option to tip during checkout is there. They give you several percentage options. Kind of like service people believe they deserve an excellent tip no matter how sub-par the service, I can see the attitude morphing in to tip them now at the beginning before you receive the pizza.

Old 03-05-2019, 11:22 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
First of all, I have never in my life ordered food or groceries delivered to my house so this story does not and will not apply to me. I don't patronize the type of businesses under discussion in this thread.

However, it is my opinion that the business model for all businesses should be that the business owner pay the employee for all work and not the customer. If a customer chooses to tip someone, that's fine, but no customer should be chastised for "screwing out" the employee. It is the business owner who is doing that.
If you disagree with the concept of tipping the proper response is to not patronize a business that uses it. If you know that a business relies on tipping as a part of the employee's wage and you refuse to tip "on principle" you are "screwing out" the employee, a choice you consciously make.

Old 03-05-2019, 11:31 AM

5,818 posts, read 2,668,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
If you disagree with the concept of tipping the proper response is to not patronize a business that uses it. If you know that a business relies on tipping as a part of the employee's wage and you refuse to tip "on principle" you are "screwing out" the employee, a choice you consciously make.

I say this as someone who spent many years in the service industry living off tips....

It's complete and utter BS to be guilted into tipping a barista or sandwich maker 20% with those stupid apps with tip adders when you check out.

I'm not giving some guy $2 extra on an overpriced meal to begin with for making a sandwich which is what he's being paid to do in the first place.

Going out to eat or ordering to go, delivery, etc. that's all different.

The baristas and sandwich makers are making an hourly- servers don't see paychecks bc they make $2 an hour.

If they want to make a living off tips they should find a real server job--because you can make pretty good money serving if you find the right setup.

Old 03-05-2019, 11:41 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I wonder the rules. Yes, there are places that do "tartar" dishes... In theory, they've gone through some kind of training to be able to safely serve that food.

Most places now have to have people go through food handling/preparation courses to prevent another jack in the box type situation where hundreds of people are sickened by e-coli.

And.. I would assume that the beef used in 'tartar' dishes might be differently handled in some way? Anyone know the answer to that? I'd assume a restaurant couldn't just go down to the local Aldi and pick up steak from the butcher? Or could they?

So, honestly here.. I don't know if it was a "Will not" or "Can not".. It really could go either way.

I do know that if I wasn't trained to provide raw food, I wouldn't provide it. If they take it home and cook it and don't get it up to proper temps.. Liability-wise, if I were a restaurant owner.. It would become a 'will not' if it wasn't a 'can not' due to regulations already.

Yes, I think it was ridiculous of that person to expect a restaurant to take the place of a supermarket. If you want to buy raw food to cook yourself at home, then you need to go to the supermarket.

I am betting they are not allowed to sell food that way. And yes, restaurants that serve raw food whether steak or sushi have procedures they have to follow. Joe's corner deli can't just decide to start serving sushi without meeting state standards for handling and preparing sushi. And just because they sell sushi, does not mean they can sell you a whole raw tuna.

There was a time in NJ about 20 years or so ago, where it was actually illegal for restaurants to serve eggs sunnyside up or overeasy. It was a silly overreaction to salmonella and it lasted maybe a year. It was ridiculous, but that's how onerus the rules regulating restaurants are.

Old 03-05-2019, 11:41 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
I say this as someone who spent many years in the service industry living off tips....

It's complete and utter BS to be guilted into tipping a barista or sandwich maker 20% with those stupid apps with tip adders when you check out.

I'm not giving some guy $2 extra on an overpriced meal to begin with for making a sandwich which is what he's being paid to do in the first place.

The baristas and sandwich makers are making an hourly- servers don't see paychecks bc they make $2 an hour.

If they want to make a living off tips they should find a real server job--because you can make pretty good money serving if you find the right setup.
Quote:
If you know that a business relies on tipping as a part of the employee's wage
I'm not talking about tipping hourly employees making minimum wage +

Old 03-05-2019, 11:45 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post

I feel that way too. Down the shore here, all the boardwalk stores have tip jars out. All you're doing is handing me a soft pretzel that was in a case right next to you, I don't see the reason to tip. I will admit though, sometimes when I get ice cream, I drop something in the tip jar right away before they make my Blizzard or cone, because I suspect they make it better for people who tip.

Old 03-09-2019, 08:44 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,355,014 times
Quote:
I have no idea.

I have added the tip ahead of time if I didn't have cash at home. But I also hardly order through those apps.

Old 03-09-2019, 12:02 PM

24,619 posts, read 9,449,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Apparently the consumer had already eaten it when the news came out he had done this?
Welp, you just have to hope you weren’t that unlucky customer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events