Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 08:49 AM

10,730 posts, read 5,661,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
They don't agree to work for less than minimum wage. They have the expectation that they will make enough in tips, or if they don't make enough in tips to meet minimum wage their employer will make up the difference.
If they don’t get enough in tips to make at least minimum wage, their employer doesn’t make up the difference, and they do nothing about it, the have in fact agreed to work for less than minimum wage.

Quote:
Many of them them find out after the fact that their employers don't or won't make up the difference.
Employers MUST make up the difference.

Quote:
People who don't tip, or cheap out on tipping, because they don't agree with the practice should stick with businesses that don't rely on supplementing wages with tips. If someone doesn't agree with the practice then they shouldn't support businesses that utilize it by patronizing them. Going to a restaurant where the servers rely on tips to make their wages and then refusing to tip 'on principle' is disingenuous.
There is nothing disengenuous about it.

The only meaningful expectation is between the server and their employer, and in situations where the server is paid an hourly rate below minimum wage, that expectation (supported by the law) is that the server will be paid at least minimum wage. That’s it. If the server is able to earn more than minimum wage, based on the level of service that they provide for customers, good for them. But to believe that servers are entitled to a tip is ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 09:23 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,186,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
Disgusting. He also looks like a very unhappy under achiever.
Haven't seen a mug shot yet that anyone would want to send to their Mommy.

Old 03-11-2019, 09:58 AM

239 posts, read 155,846 times
The phrase "huevos rancheros" keeps coming to mind when I think of this, lol.

Old 03-11-2019, 10:04 AM

17,155 posts, read 15,366,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappleApple View Post
The phrase "huevos rancheros" keeps coming to mind when I think of this, lol.
HAHAHA!!! I don't think I'll ever be able to look at huevos rancheros the same way again.

Old 03-11-2019, 10:40 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Illegal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post

Employers MUST make up the difference.

There is nothing disengenuous about it.

The only meaningful expectation is between the server and their employer, and in situations where the server is paid an hourly rate below minimum wage, that expectation (supported by the law) is that the server will be paid at least minimum wage. That’s it. If the server is able to earn more than minimum wage, based on the level of service that they provide for customers, good for them. But to believe that servers are entitled to a tip is ridiculous.
Supposed to to pay the difference. It is disingenuous for people to insist that employers don't ever break the law on this. I provided two links for national and regional chains that have done it within the last few years, one was settled quite recently. Insist all you want that they must, the reality is many of them don't. I find it ridiculous that people who proudly proclaim they don't believe in tipping still go to businesses where it's expected and then stiff the servers.

Old 03-11-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Supposed to to pay the difference. It is disingenuous for people to insist that employers don't ever break the law on this. I provided two links for national and regional chains that have done it within the last few years, one was settled quite recently. Insist all you want that they must, the reality is many of them don't. I find it ridiculous that people who proudly proclaim they don't believe in tipping still go to businesses where it's expected and then stiff the servers.
If an employee is choosing to work at an establishment that cheats them out of their pay, this employee is foolishly agreeing to work for petty wages. There are federal laws in place that require employers to pay a fair wage. If they don't, they are to be reported. Every establishment has posters with labor laws describing exactly this, as well as a phone number to call and report the employer in the event of a violation. Monetary rewards are given for such reports.

Old 03-11-2019, 10:36 PM

10,730 posts, read 5,661,282 times
Quote:
Supposed to to pay the difference. It is disingenuous for people to insist that employers don't ever break the law on this. I provided two links for national and regional chains that have done it within the last few years, one was settled quite recently. Insist all you want that they must, the reality is many of them don't.
Quit acting like employers are simply able to get away with it and there’s nothing the poor employee can do. A report the the Department of Labor will absolutely resolve that situation, like right now. In fact, your links clearly demonstrate that the employees are getting satisfaction for being cheated. The only way that won’t happen is if the employee chooses to remain silent.

Quote:
I find it ridiculous that people who proudly proclaim they don't believe in tipping still go to businesses where it's expected and then stiff the servers.
While some employers may stiff servers by not paying them at least minimum wage, no restaurant customer is stiffing a server by not tipping. There is no obligation, nor reasonable expectation of a tip.

Old 03-11-2019, 10:46 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Quit acting like employers are simply able to get away with it and there’s nothing the poor employee can do. A report the the Department of Labor will absolutely resolve that situation, like right now. In fact, your links clearly demonstrate that the employees are getting satisfaction for being cheated. The only way that won’t happen is if the employee chooses to remain silent.
Like right now? Sure, sure, if believing that makes you feel better. Fact of the matter is that for someone I know involved in one of those cases 'right now' meant a wait of over a year to get the back wages owed them. In a lot of instances employers do get away with it because, as I keep pointing out, many younger workers are too naive to know what to do and others are too afraid to rock the boat, it's simpler just to leave for another job. But you guys keep right on with your arguments that not tipping is the right thing to do, and that it makes sense to support a business model you don't believe in.

Old 03-12-2019, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Like right now? Sure, sure, if believing that makes you feel better. Fact of the matter is that for someone I know involved in one of those cases 'right now' meant a wait of over a year to get the back wages owed them. In a lot of instances employers do get away with it because, as I keep pointing out, many younger workers are too naive to know what to do and others are too afraid to rock the boat, it's simpler just to leave for another job. But you guys keep right on with your arguments that not tipping is the right thing to do, and that it makes sense to support a business model you don't believe in.
Every place of employment is required by law to have this giant poster clearly stating labor laws. You know this, right? You know, this thing:

You were once 18. Could you not read these signs?

NO ONE is saying "not tipping is the right thing to do." The argument here is that tipped employees are paid at least minimum wage, regardless of whether or not you tip them.

No wonder society is so soft. Making excuses for people staying in poor, illegal working environments due to "being young and naive."

Old 03-12-2019, 08:07 AM

293 posts, read 121,043 times
Well
There was a poster. I can't believe anyone was ever taken advantage of
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events