Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2019, 11:32 AM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 5 days ago)

16,099 posts, read 21,227,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
So what are the laws that cover this? If you dispute the ones posted, you need to provide laws to the contrary.
already mentioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
I don't think the law is on his side at all. Receiving and keeping something sent to you by mistake is called conversion, and it's a crime. This guy apparently was given the chance to send it back before the cops were called, he deserves what he gets for being greedy and unethical.

conversion
n. a civil wrong (tort) in which one converts another's property to his/her own use, which is a fancy way of saying "steals." Conversion includes treating another's goods as one's own, holding onto such property which accidentally comes into the convertor's (taker's) hands, or purposely giving the impression the assets belong to him/her. This gives the true owner the right to sue for his/her own property or the value and loss of use of it, as well as going to law enforcement authorities since conversion usually includes the crime of theft. https://dictionary.law.com/Default.aspx?selected=346
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 11:35 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,327,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
already mentioned

conversion
n. a civil wrong (tort) in which one converts another's property to his/her own use, which is a fancy way of saying "steals." Conversion includes treating another's goods as one's own, holding onto such property which accidentally comes into the convertor's (taker's) hands, or purposely giving the impression the assets belong to him/her. This gives the true owner the right to sue for his/her own property or the value and loss of use of it, as well as going to law enforcement authorities since conversion usually includes the crime of theft. https://dictionary.law.com/Default.aspx?selected=346
"Civil". The place that dropped it off would first have to prove there was a wrong. Yes, they could as that notes, sue.

Old 06-13-2019, 11:53 AM

10,793 posts, read 5,733,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
No there is no “except in the case of mistaken delivery” in any of the laws. Those words are not there anywhere. Please stop posting misinformation. I have quoted the laws in their entirety, multiple times, along with the links for everyone to see for themself, if you don't believe I'm quoting them correctly.

I know I'm batting my head against a brick wall, but I will post them again.

General Law - Part I, Title XV, Chapter 93, Section 43

39 U.S. Code § 3009 - Mailing of unordered merchandise _ U.S. Code _ US Law _ LII _ Legal Information Institute
From your quoted Section 43:

Quote:
offered for sale
That is CLEARLY not what happened.

You are clearly able to read. Are you not able to understand simple English?

Old 06-13-2019, 12:46 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,847,469 times
Quote:
Being charged with something does not make it factual. He says he does not remember if he signed or not. He might be lying but prove it.
The shipping company had a signature, genius.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:23 PM

51,036 posts, read 36,749,051 times
Quote:
Being charged with something does not make it factual. He says he does not remember if he signed or not. He might be lying but prove it.
That’s pretty easy to prove. They have the sheet that he signed. It really doesn’t matter anyway because it wasn’t his to keep and they tried repeatedly to get it back from him

Old 06-13-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
The shipping company had a signature, genius.
It proves nothing outside a court of law. Anyone could have signed it until a court says otherwise.

Old 06-13-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
That’s pretty easy to prove. They have the sheet that he signed. It really doesn’t matter anyway because it wasn’t his to keep and they tried repeatedly to get it back from him
Take him to court. It's a civil matter. The police should not be civilian bill collectors.

Old 06-13-2019, 02:07 PM

108 posts, read 56,894 times
They surrounded his house because he kept a TV that was sent to him by mistake?!

Old 06-13-2019, 04:10 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,565,665 times
Quote:
Just to note.......we find people guilty of something well before we know they are. No, he didn't necessarily know it was not his. Maybe he had mentioned needing a new television and his grandmother sent him one. I'm constantly finding boxes on the porch from the M.i.L sending my wife something.

Normally I do not have to sign but on occasion I do. I do not check the label first. I just sign and bring the item inside. Once I figured out it wasn't mine I would have informed whoever sent it that it was on the porch if they wanted it.

If they pick it up, great. If not after a reasonable time, it's mine.
You didn't read the news article. He clearly knew it wasn't his because he told the reporter that he saw the free tv as a "scratch off ticket", something finally free came his way. There is absolutely no question he knew the tv wasn't supposed to be left for him at any second during this story.

Old 06-13-2019, 04:12 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,565,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJudy9872 View Post
They surrounded his house because he kept a TV that was sent to him by mistake?!
Did you not take even a second to read the news article? why would you reply to a thread if you are too lazy to do that?
He was arrested because he blew the shipping company calls off, lied to the cops and blew them off as well. Wtf was so hard about doing the right thing and giving the tv back? this moron had to know that somebody was going to eat this "free" tv, how does his conscience not get to him and just give it back at some point? he's total scum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events