Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2019, 11:30 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,099,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
It’s ridiculous my daughter, in 2019, will have the same fears for her children my grandmother had in 1919.
In 2019, in a first-world country, with unparalleled access to doctors & healthcare facilities, sanitation services, clean drinking water, climate control, antibacterials, antiseptics, antimycotics, antibiotics, antivirals, IV fluids & supplemental oxygenation? Not to mention a national Measles vaccine uptake rate for children of 92%?

Yes; that's beyond ridiculous. That's almost pathological.

Old 04-08-2019, 11:40 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
In 2019, in a first-world country, with unparalleled access to doctors & healthcare facilities, sanitation services, clean drinking water, climate control, antibacterials, antiseptics, antimycotics, antibiotics, antivirals, IV fluids & supplemental oxygenation? Not to mention a national Measles vaccine uptake rate for children of 92%?

Sanitation and clean water have nothing to do with measles prevention, though they are good for other things. None of these meds will cure measles. There is no antiviral for measles disease. The antibiotics might help for secondary infections, but it's sad when measles gets that far. IV fluids and supplemental oxygenation? Yeah, that's what we all want for our kids/grandkids! How about not getting measles from unvaccinated people in the first place? 92% national measles vaccine uptake rate is meaningless. It's like the "average height of all Americans. We know there are pockets where rates are much lower.

Old 04-08-2019, 11:55 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times
While sanitation and clean drinking water don’t make a different when it comes to measles. Nutrition most definitely does play a role in measles deaths and complications.

Old 04-08-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
While sanitation and clean drinking water don’t make a different when it comes to measles. Nutrition most definitely does play a role in measles deaths and complications.
Tell that to Roald Dahl's descendents. His daughter died of measles. He was a very well known author, married to an actress. No nutrition problems WRT not having enough to eat in that family.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/p...-10019824.html

Old 04-08-2019, 12:19 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,803,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post

Being concerned about an infant contracting measles in a place experiencing a measles outbreak is pathological? So glad you pointed that out. I’ll be sure to tell my daughter to not worry since an anti vaxxer on the internet said she shouldn’t.

Last edited by UNC4Me; 04-08-2019 at 12:37 PM..

Old 04-08-2019, 12:21 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,674,898 times
Quote:
Better ban cars so that you don’t get killed in a car crash or as a pedestrian. You don’t drive do you? If so you’re putting others in grave danger. hope you don’t swim either. That’s dangerous.

I’m not saying that people should or should not vaccinate for measles. I am saying that there should always be choice. Pointing out what mass vaccination has done to the protection the most vulnerable via maternal antibodies and antibodies in breastmilk is to point out the reality, not to dissuade or encourage people to get vaccinated. It’s the truth.

Worldwide deaths are quite different from deaths in a first world country. Just another thing you may want to educate yourself about. Kind of weird that you seem to be ignoring all of the information in the article in favor of the author’s opinion.
The benefits of maternal antibodies (from having experienced the disease) is only helpful if the person survives the disease. My mother would have had another brother and sister, but they both died in childhood the same week of diptheria.

Can you even imagine going back to the days where it was common to have multiple children die?!? Really, think about that.

Old 04-08-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
The benefits of maternal antibodies (from having experienced the disease) is only helpful if the person survives the disease. My mother would have had another brother and sister, but they both died in childhood the same week of diptheria.

Can you even imagine going back to the days where it was common to have multiple children die?!? Really, think about that.
Exactly! My great-grands lost three kids, all boys, in three weeks during a diphtheria epidemic in the 1890s. I never got to meet those three Great-Uncles.

Old 04-08-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Tell that to Roald Dahl's descendents. His daughter died of measles. He was a very well known author, married to an actress. No nutrition problems WRT not having enough to eat in that family.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/p...-10019824.html
Thanks for the anecdote. How to you explain the major decline in measles deaths prior to the vaccine?

Old 04-08-2019, 12:37 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,803,058 times
Quote:
Better ban cars so that you don’t get killed in a car crash or as a pedestrian. You don’t drive do you? If so you’re putting others in grave danger. hope you don’t swim either. That’s dangerous.

I’m not saying that people should or should not vaccinate for measles. I am saying that there should always be choice. Pointing out what mass vaccination has done to the protection the most vulnerable via maternal antibodies and antibodies in breastmilk is to point out the reality, not to dissuade or encourage people to get vaccinated. It’s the truth.

Worldwide deaths are quite different from deaths in a first world country. Just another thing you may want to educate yourself about. Kind of weird that you seem to be ignoring all of the information in the article in favor of the author’s opinion.
I drive and ride in a car, but I don’t refuse to wear a seatbelt because they’re not 100% effective from keeping me from dying in a crash. That’s one of your many, many arguments against vaccines. If they’re not 100% effective then Big bad Pharma is selling us a bill of goods. I guess car companies are too. I can only assume you skip the seatbelts and find Big auto to be as shady as Big Pharma.

The info on breastfeeding has been posted for you over and over. It does not provide the level of protection you keep insisting it does. Infants are not adequately protected from measles via breastfeeding or maternally passed antibodies since they wane after birth.

And why are you STILL harping about someone forcing you to get vaccinated?!? No one is suggesting that. I am suggesting you bear whatever consequences that decision brings.

Last edited by UNC4Me; 04-08-2019 at 12:50 PM..

Old 04-08-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Being concerned about an infant contracting measles in a place experiencing a measles outbreak is pathological? So glad you pointed that out. I’ll be sure to tell my daughter to worry since an anti vaxxer on the internet said she shouldn’t.
Which outbreak do you live near?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events