Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2019, 09:06 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times

Advertisements

This is not a political post - just an observation.

Try to overlay a map of the measles outbreak, with sanctuary cities and states. They coincide. Truth is, measles outbreaks are almost never caused by children born and raised here, whether vaccinated or not. Such outbreaks are caused by people (not just children) who are here illegally and residing in so-called sanctuary areas.

Perhaps much of the problem is due to non-citizens who refuse to assimilate to the extent that they avoid compliance with the expected behaviors for citizens.

Old 04-10-2019, 09:07 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Always a little micro-agression. You didn't read it, did you? He's saying that about antivaxers.

What you posted was not just a micro-aggression, it was aggressive and also really offensive and I’d also add, a conspiracy theory about people who don’t vaccinate. It’s sad you buy into that kind of thinking.

Old 04-10-2019, 09:10 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Not a ferbrile seizure. Also that is only for DTap.
I know that. Febrile seizures are benign and have no long term effects. I’m should know since one of my daughters had a couple during her infancy. She’s like her momma in that her body’s natural reaction to illness was a very high fever. I’ve had a 104.6 fever as an adult. My hubs and I can have the same garden variety cold and he’ll have no fever and I’ll have 102. Fortunately she outgrew this issue. Febrile seizures are for sure very scary, but fortunately have no lasting effects.

Old 04-10-2019, 09:12 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Kara told you that it didn’t qualify as a medical exemption so I’d assume that by the most narrow definition, it wouldn’t qualify. Doctor’s won’t have the final say.
For at least the third time, where is this happening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Did you miss Suzy's post on the previous page? Here's the part about seizures:

Febrile seizures are common after vaccination. They may scare the bejeebus out of parents but they are also benign.

"Febrile seizures are a common and typically benign childhood condition, occurring in 2-5% of children at some point during their first five years of life. Febrile seizures have an estimated background incidence of 240–480 per 100,000 person-years in children under five years, although this varies considerably by age, genetics, co-morbidities and environmental risk factors. There are no long-term effects of simple febrile seizures, with the possible exception of an increased risk of recurrence [1-4].

Considering the benign nature of simple febrile seizures, the rarity of vaccine-induced febrile seizures and the relative frequency of fever related to natural infection particularly among young children, the benefits of vaccination greatly outweigh the minimal risk of vaccine complications."
That does not answer UNC4Me's quesiton, at all. It describes febrile seizures, which can happen with any fever from any cause, and says NOTHING about legislation.

Old 04-10-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
I’m sure you’ll be fine with your grandkids not being able to attend college. A college degree has no impact on one’s life.
They could still attend. Not all states (in fact 22 of them) have mandatory vaccines for college. Nor do universities in many countries. The grands will be just fine.

Old 04-10-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
For at least the third time, where is this happening?
I already answered this. Sorry you missed it. COLORADO. Your state. I even posted an excerpt from the Bill. How can you chide me for not knowing what happened in Europe when you’re not even aware of legislation that has been introdcued in the state you live in?

Old 04-10-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
They could still attend. Not all states (in fact 22 of them) have mandatory vaccines for college. Nor do universities in many countries. The grands will be just fine.
That’s kind of he crux of the conversation. Exemptions are being eroded and by the time they are ready for college they may no longer have that option.

Old 04-10-2019, 09:21 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
You don’t know if she would qualify for a medical exemption in any state who decides to go with the narrow interpretation of contraindications via the ACIP guidelines which are being proposed in at least some states. She may not and you’d be fine with her daughter missing out on the opportunity to go to college due to that. This is not always as cut and dry as people think. People are not all perfect clones of one another and some people will react badly to a vaccine, food or other medication yet others will be 100% fine. There are also risks to getting sick. There is truth to both sides. I hate how polarizing this has gotten. Let people decide with their doctors.
The ACIP guidelines cover the known contraindications to vaccines. "I don't want my child to get autism" is not one of them.

Dr. Bob Sears got into hot water for issuing a blanket exemption for a child without getting his records to confirm that he even had an adverse reaction.

He also says things like ADHD justify an exemption. Nope.

Family history of autoimmune disease? Nope.

But this doctor will issue a certificate for a large number of non-qualifying indications - for $180 per child.

Vaccine Exemptions

Services and Prices

Let's take celiac disease from that list. Celiac disease is not a contraindication to vaccination. Neither are other things on the "autoimmune" list.

You have the delusion that the risk of a reaction to the vaccine is greater than the risk of getting the disease. It is not. The only reason the risk of getting the disease is so low is because of vaccination. Dropping vaccination rates will result in more people getting VPDs. Rockland is a good example of that.

Quote:
California is not the only state and it goes much further then just a few unethical doctors. Let’s say your child has a seizure post vaccine. You will not get an exemption for subsequent vaccinations. Let’s say you have a child die from a vaccine reaction. You will not be allowed to opt your future children out. I don’t think people fully grasp the road we’re going down nor do I think people understand how they would feel if their child was the one who had the reaction. These decisions must be allowed to be made with one’s doctor.
Seizures after a vaccination are most often benign febrile seizures. That is why a febrile seizure is not an indication for a medical exemption from all vaccines. If the seizure were to be due to an encephalopathy, it would be - for that vaccine but possibly not all vaccines.

What is the risk of a child dying from a vaccine? Pretty close to zero.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4599698/

The decision is made with one's doctor - until the doctor goes off the rails and issues certificates not based on valid indications. When that happens then the privilege of having your doctor make the decision may be withdrawn by the state.

Old 04-10-2019, 09:32 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
I already answered this. Sorry you missed it. COLORADO. Your state. I even posted an excerpt from the Bill. How can you chide me for not knowing what happened in Europe when you’re not even aware of legislation that has been introdcued in the state you live in?
Oh, good grief! Continue with your insults, MT. You're the one who is wrong. That's not what was introduced here in CO at all.
https://www.chalkbeat.org/posts/co/2...#disqus_thread
"A proposed bill would make it harder for Colorado parents to opt their children out of immunizations for personal or religious reasons by requiring an in-person visit to their local health department to get a signature on the exemption form."
That's IT, MT. No revoking of religious or PB exemptions, no limiting medical exemptions. Get off these conspiracy websites.

Old 04-10-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
That’s kind of he crux of the conversation. Exemptions are being eroded and by the time they are ready for college they may no longer have that option.
If a kid can’t medically qualify for a waiver and parents override the doctors opinion that vaccinations should continue, then whatever downside results is theirs to bear. Whether it’s my grandchild or yours or anyone else’s. Living in a society has benefits and sometimes costs. My family is ok with accepting that in whatever form it takes.

People who aren’t and cheat the system to get their way are the reason for any tightening the rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events