Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 05:49 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I'm pretty sure they would have, and so would the tour company.
Of course, that is assuming the young woman even went to a travel health clinic before her trip. Since there are no mandatory vaccines she would have needed to be admitted to the Philippines, she may not have. She might have just hopped on a plane and gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 06:03 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaLadyB View Post
did no one ask her if she had been out of the country?

Not a single person who knew she HAD and said nothing when she got sick?
Rabies is nearly always fatal by the time a person exhibits symptoms.

Old 05-13-2019, 06:05 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Yes, it’s a series of three immunizations given over a one month interval. It doesn’t eliminate the need for post- bite treatment, but the post-bite treatment is simpler (2 doses of vaccine given 3 days apart instead of immediate injection of rabies immune globulin at the bite site plus a series of four immunizations), and the treatment doesn’t have to be given immediately. So it buys you time to get to a location where you can be properly treated. (In some parts of the world it could take a week or more to get back to a place where rabies vaccine is available.)

You can learn about pre-exposure rabies vaccination here: https://www.cdc.gov/rabies/specific_...cinations.html

We've come a long way. When I was a kid and had to have the rabies vaccination, it was one shot every day, in the stomach, for fourteen days.

Old 05-13-2019, 11:16 AM

1,386 posts, read 999,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
I was bitten by a pit bull last year. No real drama, just some small puncture wounds as I tried to get our vizsla away....
No real drama?? Some small puncture wounds? If that'd happened to me I would have s*** my pants. You must have nerves of steel. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

--

Old 05-13-2019, 02:13 PM

239 posts, read 155,889 times
Such a shame. Killed by her own kindness. She looked like a young Kate Bosworth.

Old 05-15-2019, 12:51 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,198,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Rabies is nearly always fatal by the time a person exhibits symptoms.

NOBODY at the HOSPITAL noticed anything or even ASKED--- have you been out of the country lately....or noticed the bites and asked???

Old 05-15-2019, 03:46 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
NOBODY at the HOSPITAL noticed anything or even ASKED--- have you been out of the country lately....or noticed the bites and asked???
I think they did eventually, but she already had symptoms, hence why she went to the hospital or saw any doctor prior to that. She was already dead, essentially. Once you show even the first symptom, there is no cure. She should have gotten the vaccine ASAP after the bite, while in the Philippines (I'm pretty sure the vaccine is available there??).

Honestly, and this may sound harsh, but what happened is entirely on her. There was nothing the doctors could have done, whether they realized it was rabies right away when she presented with the symptoms or whether it took them days to diagnose. It is so important to research your vacation destination, especially if it's a developing country because there are usually more health risks/sanitation issues in those types of places. She should have known about the high[er than what she's used to, at least] rate of rabies in dogs in the Philippines, she should have went for medical attention right away upon receiving the bites and if that didn't work somehow, straight away when she got home. It seems it took her a few weeks to experience symptoms, so she had some time, but she simply didn't know the risk.

Rabies is mentioned on the CDC website as a risk for the country. I know this is a US site but I'm sure other governments provide similar warning services. https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destina...ne/philippines All one needs to do is check this site for health risks, super easy. This was preventable. I googled "Philippines health risks" and this was among the first results.

As a side note, I really wish developing countries were more on top of these easily preventable but serious diseases. Other countries have managed to nearly or actually eradicate rabies, and at least keep it controlled in most animal populations. Yet some countries cannot get it together enough to raise awareness, vaccinate animals, try to control stray populations. This stuff is preventable. I know developing countries struggle for many reasons but I also know there can be a ton of corruption and misuse of funds.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:52 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
Quote:
I doubt there were any real bites to notice. It was several weeks after she returned from her trip before she developed symptoms and sought out medical care, and the bites would be better described as nips that broke the skin (which is why she thought nothing of them when they happened and just put some antiseptic on them and promptly forgot about them). Who hasn’t been nipped by a puppy on occasion? We’re not talking about Cujo viciously mauling her here.

And if the hospital did ask about foreign travel, they were no doubt thinking primarily about exposure to other tropical diseases that can cause neurological symptoms and which are far more common, such as West Nile or Dengue or Chikungunya. Until the bite history is reported or the patient develops the more classic symptoms of rabies encephalopathy (such as pharyngeal spasms when trying to swallow, or extreme agitation), the foreign travel history doesn’t help much in making the diagnosis.

Diagnosing a rare disease (which mercifully rabies is in the developed world) simply isn’t as easy and straightforward as you seem to think it is. Fortunately, this isn’t a disease where prompt diagnosis makes any difference. Unfortunately, that’s because the disease is essentially 100% fatal once symptoms develop.

JerseyGirl415 is right: this unfortunate young girl is ultimately the victim of her own lack of awareness. If she’d known about the rabies risk in the Philippines and had either left the puppy alone or had quickly sought out post-exposure rabies prophylaxis after the puppy nipped her, she’d be alive today.

Old 05-16-2019, 09:41 AM

108 posts, read 56,577 times
They told us this at the airport in Puerto Rico. They might be cute but they will kill you

Old 05-16-2019, 11:43 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJudy9872 View Post
They told us this at the airport in Puerto Rico. They might be cute but they will kill you
Out of idle curiosity, I looked up what the CDC had to say about rabies in Puerto Rico.

A Puerto Rican man died in 2015 of rabies from an infected mongoose. The U.S. Dept of Agriculture tested mongooses for rabies and found that up to 40% of those tested had rabies. Other exposures have resulted from mongooses biting dogs that bite humans.

But if you really want to be grossed out... (Warning! Sensitive people should skip this!)

In 2017, two people in Florida reported finding a bat in the bag of salad they had eaten the previous day. Both were given post-exposure prophylaxis and they didn't become infected.

Hmm. I don't know about you but I think I would shake everything out of the salad bag into a colander and wash it thoroughly before eating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events