Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 02:15 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,531,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Something has obviously happened. I hope whatever it was that it was a natural event and no foul play was involved. Unfortunately, I think women go missing over there more than we hear about on the mainland. I was reading something a couple of years ago about Big Island ( I know it's not Maui.) There was some commentary about it.
What an ignorant statement. In reality you have no idea if women go missing on Maui (or Hawaii in general) more than "the mainland", which is a huge, diverse land mass. If there were statistics comparing missing women in Hawaii with the rest of the US what you said could very well be true but you have no evidence whatsoever to back up your statement. Just pure ignorance.

Regarding this woman, on the local news they were saying it was common for her to leave her cell phone in her car to "unplug" when she went hiking. I just don't get why people who do this can't take their phone but turn it off or at least on silent. They won't be bothered at all and at least will have a phone in case of emergency. A lifeline can become invaluable during certain situations. Just a few days ago on the news there was a case of hikers stranded who used their cell phone to call for help. Rescuers said they were lucky they had their phones or it could have turned out much worse. Hopefully they find this lady alive but as days go by the chances diminish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 03:47 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,370,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
I just don't get why people who do this can't take their phone but turn it off or at least on silent. They won't be bothered at all and at least will have a phone in case of emergency.
Or at least take a personal locator beacon (PLB). They're not cheap, but they work almost anywhere -- even where cell phones don't.

Old 05-14-2019, 04:54 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 4 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,940,183 times
I understand why people don't take cell phones.

Same reason people camp in primitive areas that are 'off the grid'.

Because it's incredibly freeing.

We've had thousands of years of human existence without cell phones, and I'm not thinking we're significantly safer, with cell phones in our hands 24/7.

Old 05-14-2019, 05:13 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,286,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
What an ignorant statement. In reality you have no idea if women go missing on Maui (or Hawaii in general) more than "the mainland", which is a huge, diverse land mass. If there were statistics comparing missing women in Hawaii with the rest of the US what you said could very well be true but you have no evidence whatsoever to back up your statement. Just pure ignorance.

Regarding this woman, on the local news they were saying it was common for her to leave her cell phone in her car to "unplug" when she went hiking. I just don't get why people who do this can't take their phone but turn it off or at least on silent. They won't be bothered at all and at least will have a phone in case of emergency. A lifeline can become invaluable during certain situations. Just a few days ago on the news there was a case of hikers stranded who used their cell phone to call for help. Rescuers said they were lucky they had their phones or it could have turned out much worse. Hopefully they find this lady alive but as days go by the chances diminish.
You read it differently than what I intended with my comment. I wasn't comparing statistics of missing people on mainland and Hawaii. I was just referencing some commentary from locals I had come across when I was reading about Hawaii.

Old 05-14-2019, 07:56 PM

464 posts, read 1,043,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I understand why people don't take cell phones.

Same reason people camp in primitive areas that are 'off the grid'.

Because it's incredibly freeing.

We've had thousands of years of human existence without cell phones, and I'm not thinking we're significantly safer, with cell phones in our hands 24/7.
Im sorry, but leaving your cell in your car if something goes awry with your plans is not smart. I guess call that the former Boy Scout in me. We are trained to always be prepared.

To each their own but I would rather be able to summon help if needed (or at least let people use my GPS location to help narrow down the search area) if I am going off on my own.

Not trying to bash the victim, but at times think of the searchers and if you could have made it easier on them if the cause was there.

Old 05-14-2019, 08:32 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 4 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmasek73 View Post
Im sorry, but leaving your cell in your car if something goes awry with your plans is not smart. I guess call that the former Boy Scout in me. We are trained to always be prepared.

To each their own but I would rather be able to summon help if needed (or at least let people use my GPS location to help narrow down the search area) if I am going off on my own.

Not trying to bash the victim, but at times think of the searchers and if you could have made it easier on them if the cause was there.
I actually thought I had mentioned Boy Scouts in my post. I guess I didn't.

Have you been to Philmont? There, you're on your own, there, on purpose, or at least that was the way 15 years ago. You're on your own, as a troop. If one scout is about to suffer severe hypothermia, the rest of the scouts rally around and warm that scout.

And they all come out of that experience walking a little taller, a little prouder. Because they did it by themselves.

Sometimes, you have to do it by yourself. You really can't believe how proud you are for doing it by yourself. And not pulling your cell phone out and pleading for help. Or even KNOWING you could pull your cell phone out to plead for help.

Well, basically like the human race lived before 2005.

GOD, we're weak, as a culture. When I compare how weak we are compared to humans generations ago, I just hang my head in shame.

Last edited by ClaraC; 05-14-2019 at 08:42 PM..

Old 05-15-2019, 07:02 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,129,512 times
I was thinking about the murder on the Appalachian Trail that happened a few days ago. I hope this is not another one of those. An accident is very possible though as another poster said. Even the most experienced hikers can slip and fall. Add caves, crevices and the like and its easy for a person to disappear.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:07 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,846,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I was thinking about the murder on the Appalachian Trail that happened a few days ago. I hope this is not another one of those. An accident is very possible though as another poster said. Even the most experienced hikers can slip and fall. Add caves, crevices and the like and its easy for a person to disappear.
This latest murder on the AT is a good example of needing some form of protection. The man killed was a veteran, a young strong guy....he could not deter this man.

Women, what then would YOU do if a man with a weapon appeared on the trail and threatened you?????

Old 05-15-2019, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
This latest murder on the AT is a good example of needing some form of protection. The man killed was a veteran, a young strong guy....he could not deter this man.

Women, what then would YOU do if a man with a weapon appeared on the trail and threatened you?????
The same thing I'd do if a person attacked me while I was walking across a motel parking lot, or filling my car up at a gas station.

I've hiked a portion of the AT, and a portion of the PCT, and my experience is you are much safer in the company of a fellow hiker than you are with strangers in general.

This guy on the AT wasn't a hiker. He could just as well have attacked people in a deserted portion of the mall as on a trail. I guess when you come to portions of trails that have easy pubic access, a heightened sense of awareness is called for.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:28 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,695,048 times
Hope this turns out well but my instincts tell me otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events