Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 03:15 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,663,026 times

Advertisements

No Doctor can fix that amount of stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2019, 08:57 PM

17,634 posts, read 22,630,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Hey fellas... watch this!

It would have at least given them more of a chance, if they had driven a Dragster with nitrous oxide ...

Old 05-27-2019, 04:28 AM

27,146 posts, read 13,438,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
A drawbridge was closed to vehicle traffic so a boat could go under it. Two idiots decided to remove the barrier and back up and jump over it like the Dukes of Hazzard. They didn't make it. One of the articles says the car was a compact. Toxicology reports have not come back yet. These guys were 23 and 32.
I think someone should have explained to them that the Dukes of Hazard was a fictional television series and not a documentary.

Old 05-27-2019, 05:12 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,539,370 times
How did they think they could EVER make this jump? Just plain stupidity or maybe a suicidal pact?

Cheers! see you on the other side of somewhere.

This photo clearly shows the bridge with the ramps up. If you look where the cars are parked waiting, there was no chance of them gaining enough speed to make it even if they backed right off the whole bridge to get a run at it.

https://www.longroom.com/discussion/...ith-car-police

Old 05-27-2019, 05:14 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,533,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
What a weird bridge. Apparently it's actually a floating pontoon bridge, that is connected with two ramps. To open it, they raise the ramps, and then the bridge floats out of the way. Looking at the pictures, it doesn't look like there would have been any other place for the car to go except in the water. No matter how fast they were going, they were not going to make it to the other side. I wonder if the driver was even familiar with the bridge. The ramps are pretty small. Maybe he thought it was just a small opening.

I live near at least a half dozen drawbridges, but they are all pretty high above the water. I have never seen any of them actually open up. But they do have traffic lights and gates, so I guess they are opened once in a while.
Had to look for a picture because I've never seen a bridge like that. Pic of it in the article below for anyone interested.
2 die trying to jump car over raised drawbridge

Old 05-27-2019, 10:34 AM

652 posts, read 340,348 times
Addition by subtraction.

Old 05-27-2019, 11:08 AM

6,452 posts, read 3,971,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
How did they think they could EVER make this jump? Just plain stupidity or maybe a suicidal pact?

Cheers! see you on the other side of somewhere.

This photo clearly shows the bridge with the ramps up. If you look where the cars are parked waiting, there was no chance of them gaining enough speed to make it even if they backed right off the whole bridge to get a run at it.

https://www.longroom.com/discussion/...ith-car-police
The bridge in that article looks nothing like the ones in the other two articles that have pictures... (the one in post 25, and the Daily Mail article in the OP)

Now, if it's really the one we see in aerial view in post 25... there's no way even someone puking drunk would think they could make that jump, which makes me wonder if it really was suicide. How far do you suppose that is??

Old 05-27-2019, 11:33 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,583,782 times
Who would have ever thought, a tv show from the 80s would be this influential, this many decades later?!!

I can almost guarantee alcohol was involved in this some way...but I doubt they will mention that...but if it was prescription drugs these guys were abusing everyone would be calling for the head of the person that sold it to them!

Old 05-27-2019, 03:00 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,059,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Who would have ever thought, a tv show from the 80s would be this influential, this many decades later?!!

I can almost guarantee alcohol was involved in this some way...but I doubt they will mention that...but if it was prescription drugs these guys were abusing everyone would be calling for the head of the person that sold it to them!
I suspect that alcohol or drugs had more to do with it then a TV from the 80s.

Old 05-27-2019, 04:41 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times
Incredibly stupid, no doubt. Even if, through some miracle, you made it, it would destroy the suspension.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events