Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 10:12 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Since they are not capable of self regulating, seems the gov will need to step in.

At that, this has become more of a bragging, bucket list, thing for people, crowding the serious, genuinely interested in climbers.

Agreed.

The govt. needs to set a specific no. of people that can attempt a summit on any given day. It's dangerous enough without overcrowding that leads to too much time in the death zone.

Climbers should also take responsibility and insure they are well trained in the logistics of climbing and don't get overwhelmed with determination under the extreme circumstances of a summit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2019, 11:05 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Agreed.

The govt. needs to set a specific no. of people that can attempt a summit on any given day. It's dangerous enough without overcrowding that leads to too much time in the death zone.

Climbers should also take responsibility and insure they are well trained in the logistics of climbing and don't get overwhelmed with determination under the extreme circumstances of a summit.
I think a few years ago, the Sherpas attempted a strike. I think that’s really going to be the only way. Without the Sherpas, most of these people aren’t capable of making it up on their own since the Sherpas do all the work. It is just too risky for them to keep going up and down with so many people, particularly since the skill level of the people who hire them seems to be going down.

Old 05-27-2019, 11:14 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,211,652 times
Default Gov'nt

Quote:
Since they are not capable of self regulating, seems the gov will need to step in.

At that, this has become more of a bragging, bucket list, thing for people, crowding the serious, genuinely interested in climbers.

To climb the mn'nt the gov'nt requures a permit costing $11,000. It issued 138 of them this year.

Old 05-27-2019, 11:25 AM

7,243 posts, read 7,066,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I would hope that the majority are not doing it for bragging rights.
What other reason? I mean, there's nothing up there. It's not like they are climbing to help some endangered species. The only reason to go is because you can. They don't gain anything from going.

And don't give me any spiritual bs. You don't have to climb the tallest mountain on the planet to gain some spiritual awareness. It's strictly an ego climb.

Frankly I would love to see it banned.

Old 05-27-2019, 11:36 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Am I the first (didn't read the whole thread) or only one who finds this difficult to believe?

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2019...y=90&auto=webp

There's 138 people in this picture alone! We're to believe, in this day of Photoshop tech fakery that this is Everest and that it's final assault looks like the line waiting to get into the Super Bowl?

Sorry, I don't.

Old 05-27-2019, 11:51 AM

102,187 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Am I the first (didn't read the whole thread) or only one who finds this difficult to believe?

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2019...y=90&auto=webp

There's 138 people in this picture alone! We're to believe, in this day of Photoshop tech fakery that this is Everest and that it's final assault looks like the line waiting to get into the Super Bowl?

Sorry, I don't.
I think it's possible for humans to obsess to the point of endangering themselves, and of creating situations that stress credulity. But like you, I've been struggling to get my mind around why these people would volunteer to stand in line for hours at an oxygen-challenged altitude in extreme cold, just to go roughly 1/4 mile farther to reach a summit.

I think part of it has to do with the fact that, they've already invested so much to get so close to the goal, that they can't bring themselves to not go those final yards, even when common sense and safety concerns would suggest it's not that big a deal ti make it to the bitter end. Or the victorious end, however you want to look at it. They've already pushed their bodies that far, which was a considerable challenge taking days or longer, and spent somewhere between $10,000 and $20,000 to get there, I guess they're not leaving without their prize.

Even if it cost one of them his life, and may cost others, theirs, before they get back down.

Old 05-27-2019, 11:53 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,186,339 times
I would take a look at that line and say, "Close enough" and turn the frack around and head to camp for a beer.

I roll that way.

Old 05-27-2019, 11:54 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Am I the first (didn't read the whole thread) or only one who finds this difficult to believe?.
Apparently so. No doubt in my mind that it's legitimate.

If you read the story, local sherpa guides have said that this year's traffic jam was the worst ever, with return climbers waiting hours for it to pass and some dying as a result.

Old 05-27-2019, 11:56 AM

135 posts, read 89,822 times
Quote:

Hasn't it always been a "bragging, bucket list, thing for people"?

Old 05-27-2019, 11:56 AM

7,243 posts, read 7,066,230 times
Quote:

Sorry, I don't.
Nope, I believe it. Did you ever watch the show Everest that was on TLC several years ago? The number of people, including climb guides and other support people was amazing. I remember those who got to the top could only spend about ten minutes up there because they had to get back down, too. So that pic isn't just people going up but also coming down. Considering how many permits they have issued and the window of clear days to ascend, totally believable.

Once in the death zone you get slow and stupid. I remember one episode where there was a long line of people waiting to climb this ladder. There had to be 50 people in line, and it was the middle of the night.

Crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events