Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 04:09 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
One need not be perfect to realize that very simple solutions exist for this "problem."

Lots of people make it their entire lives without ever getting a parking ticket, AND, they also manage to keep their vehicle registrations current. Neither of these are the near impossible tasks that many in this thread try to portray them as.
I guess you are incapable of making a mistake, not knowing about a law that isn't advertised or posted well or where signs are confusing or conflict each other, or are incapable of getting into a situation where you may need to park in a spot for a little longer than you are supposed to, or anything else that can go wrong when you have a lot of parking restrictions (some of which may be completely stupid and just a way to generate revenue) and humans who inevitably make mistakes.

So like I said, people on the internet are perfect, carry on.

I have never had a parking ticket or been pulled over but I don't think I'm too smart or good to ever get either. It also doesn't mean I have never actually violated parking laws or speeding laws, it just means I haven't been caught. I highly doubt your or anyone else's entire driving and parking record has been perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 04:14 PM

10,730 posts, read 5,664,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I guess you are incapable of making a mistake, not knowing about a law that isn't advertised or posted well or where signs are confusing or conflict each other, or are incapable of getting into a situation where you may need to park in a spot for a little longer than you are supposed to, or anything else that can go wrong when you have a lot of parking restrictions (some of which may be completely stupid and just a way to generate revenue) and humans who inevitably make mistakes.

So like I said, people on the internet are perfect, carry on.

I have never had a parking ticket or been pulled over but I don't think I'm too smart or good to ever get either. It also doesn't mean I have never actually violated parking laws or speeding laws, it just means I haven't been caught. I highly doubt your or anyone else's entire driving and parking record has been perfect.
Give that I've never said nor suggested any such thing, it takes a special kind of stupid to come to that completely unsupported conclusion.

Old 06-03-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Give that I've never said nor suggested any such thing, it takes a special kind of stupid to come to that completely unsupported conclusion.
Nice insult, but hardly.

You and many others, when saying things like "it's easy, just don't violate parking laws" come across like you don't understand that no one is perfect and that mistakes happen.

Old 06-03-2019, 05:36 PM

1,524 posts, read 1,183,073 times
Have at it, California. But do yourselves a favor...make sure that the new law applies to all cars, not just those owned by "the poor" (however you're defining that). See, we have this little thing called the U.S. Constitution, and it (specifically, the equal rights clause of the 14th Amendment) says that you can't discriminate in favor of or against a certain subclass of people. Either the law applies to all or to none.

Old 06-03-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
Have at it, California. But do yourselves a favor...make sure that the new law applies to all cars, not just those owned by "the poor" (however you're defining that). See, we have this little thing called the U.S. Constitution, and it (specifically, the equal rights clause of the 14th Amendment) says that you can't discriminate in favor of or against a certain subclass of people. Either the law applies to all or to none.
You might want to read post #154. EPC not as simple as it seems, when applied.

Old 06-03-2019, 05:46 PM

10,730 posts, read 5,664,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Nice insult, but hardly.

You and many others, when saying things like "it's easy, just don't violate parking laws" come across like you don't understand that no one is perfect and that mistakes happen.
In your world, perfection is required in order to park legally and pay your vehicle registration?

My God! How do you manage the truly difficult aspects of life? ROTFL!!

Old 06-03-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
In your world, perfection is required in order to park legally and pay your vehicle registration?

My God! How do you manage the truly difficult aspects of life? ROTFL!!
You're being ridiculous. No, not perfection, that is the point. No one is perfect, and those who have managed to never be caught have never been perfect, either. Everyone is capable of making a mistake that could land them a ticket or worse, and everyone does at some point, whether it's missing a parking sign or speeding. Most people probably strive to do things right, but things happen, for whatever reason. Unlike you, I have empathy for those who have made a mistake or cannot afford to pay fixed ticket rates. It isn't as simple as "follow all parking laws or yeah sorry you might get your car towed and sold off, too bad you're poor."

I mean, can you even acknowledge that some people who park illegally and get into these situations may have made genuine, honest mistakes misunderstanding or missing some of the rules? What then? Still too bad, so sad, we're selling your car poor person, now you're in a worse position? Yeah, that doesn't work for me. Sorry I'm a nicer person than you, I guess? Idk.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:39 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,183,401 times
The poor should use public transportation. No personal vehicles allowed. Problem solved.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:50 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
The poor should use public transportation. No personal vehicles allowed. Problem solved.
Not "allowed" by what authority?

Plenty of those who struggle to make ends meet manage to maintain vehicles. Public transportation isn't available to everyone. It's kind of a Catch-22; "the poor" are being increasingly priced out of the urban areas with the best public transit.

SMH. This thing's so clearly a racket I can't see how anyone can support it.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:55 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
O.M.G. Of course the law applies to all vehicles, what in the world are you thinking? BTW the 8th amendment prohibition of 'excessive fines and bail' is probably more relevant here than the 14th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events