Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2019, 07:17 AM

30,148 posts, read 11,783,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Exactly how hard is it not to get a parking ticket? To keep registration up to date? I would think a poor person would be even more on top of it given they would not want to owe the money.

For someone who used to live both in San Francisco and Los Angeles. Between parking meters, two hour parking and the like its hard not to get a parking ticket or two in the congested part of California. Not saying these people should not get a free ride but these tickets are essentially a tax imposed by the local government and a big revenue producer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2019, 08:51 AM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
For someone who used to live both in San Francisco and Los Angeles. Between parking meters, two hour parking and the like its hard not to get a parking ticket or two in the congested part of California. Not saying these people should not get a free ride but these tickets are essentially a tax imposed by the local government and a big revenue producer.
That ^ is exactly what I was trying to explain when I used the example of my son living in Oakland, parking tickets were a way of life, when non residents park in the resident only zones, residents can't just double park they need to drive around and find a metered or time limited parking space and unless they sit in their car all day they sometimes don't get back to the car before they get a ticket. But they shouldn't lose their car if they can't pay the tickets on time, that's as crazy as saying they should be able to tow your car if you don't pay your garbage bill.

Old 06-02-2019, 09:02 AM

1,850 posts, read 1,138,158 times
One of my son's cars was towed - parked illegally - and...........

Okayyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Old 06-02-2019, 09:05 AM

43,076 posts, read 18,252,401 times
Why not just lower the fines to where everyone can afford them ?
Then no one would feel slighted.

Instead they pass a law to give preferential treatment to a select group of people.

Nothing more than sowing seeds of discord.

Old 06-02-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
I thinks fines proportional to ability to pay would be struck down immediately, as discriminatory and unconstitutional.
And I would suggest the exact opposite. The Eighth Amendment provides: “Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.†SCOTUS confirmed that this applies to states as well as the Federal Government in February 2019 in Timbs V Indiana.

So how about offering some support for your point of view???

Old 06-02-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Why not just lower the fines to where everyone can afford them ?
Then no one would feel slighted.
Instead they pass a law to give preferential treatment to a select group of people.
Nothing more than sowing seeds of discord.
Please explain that to me...

Old 06-02-2019, 09:57 AM

43,076 posts, read 18,252,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Please explain that to me...
The bill is full of "low income" "cars as shelter" and other phrases describing the poor and homeless.
And just for good measure they also threw in "people of color".

Old 06-02-2019, 10:14 AM

1,850 posts, read 1,138,158 times
Car is parked a few minutes too long in a 1 hour parking space? Ticket.
Car is parked in a 1 hour spot all day every day? Tow it.
Car is parked in a dangerous spot where it could cause an accident by blocking someone's view, in a fire lane or blocking a fire hydrant? Tow it.
Car comes up with multiple unpaid parking tickets, and no one has contacted the parking enforcement folks to make a payment arrangement*? Tow it.

Agree on the above

*Someone with a low income should have an option to try to get the ticket cost reduced, get it dismissed, or get on a payment plan if it's an expensive fine but the burden should be on them to make the effort to show they have a hardship and that they intend to be responsible and take care of what they received a penalty for.

Where I live they do. A friend of mine got snagged by a red light camera (thank God they are gone now) Fine + traffic school was $450.00

Old 06-02-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
The bill is full of "low income" "cars as shelter" and other phrases describing the poor and homeless.
And just for good measure they also threw in "people of color".
It doesn't matter what adjectives are used, cars won't be towed for certain reasons no matter how much or how little money the owner of the vehicle has, you implied that somehow the wealthy will be treated unfairly by this bill which makes no sense at all.

Old 06-02-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbkr5 View Post
Car is parked a few minutes too long in a 1 hour parking space? Ticket.
Car is parked in a 1 hour spot all day every day? Tow it.
Car is parked in a dangerous spot where it could cause an accident by blocking someone's view, in a fire lane or blocking a fire hydrant? Tow it.
Car comes up with multiple unpaid parking tickets, and no one has contacted the parking enforcement folks to make a payment arrangement*? Tow it.

Agree on the above

*Someone with a low income should have an option to try to get the ticket cost reduced, get it dismissed, or get on a payment plan if it's an expensive fine but the burden should be on them to make the effort to show they have a hardship and that they intend to be responsible and take care of what they received a penalty for.

Where I live they do. A friend of mine got snagged by a red light camera (thank God they are gone now) Fine + traffic school was $450.00
I am not sure what point you are trying to make. A car can still be towed if parked all day in a 1 hour zone, or in a dangerous spot, or in a fire lane or blocking a fire hydrant. These are the only situations which will no longer lead to a vehicle being towed:

Quote:
The bill would prohibit tows wherein the owner has received five or more outstanding parking tickets, were unregistered for more than six months or if the vehicle had violated the 72-hour parking restriction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events