Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2019, 12:56 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,968,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
If a car owner cannot afford to keep the registration/tags up date, cannot afford to get their vehicle out of hock then they cannot afford to have a car - plain and simple. Occam's razor
That's not what Occam's razor is.

But does it really serve the public to take cars away from the poor and give them to owners of tow yards? That's the real question.

It's a little bit like the old debtor's prisons, really. Who thought THAT was a good idea? If someone's in debt, imprison them until they can pay it back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 01:43 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,821,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Quote:
The bill would prohibit tows wherein the owner has received five or more outstanding parking tickets, were unregistered for more than six months or if the vehicle had violated the 72-hour parking restriction.>>

So, how do you get the unregistered (which are uninsured) vehicles off the road?
That was my question. Are people who are unable to pay the fines and who don't register/insure their cars still allowed to drive and park in spots other than those listed below? What about residential streets?

From a previous post:

Cars will still be allowed to be towed for the following: obstructing traffic, being reported as stolen, blocking a driveway, blocking a fire hydrant, lacking a license plate, parking in a spot where notice was given for cleaning, repair or construction purposes; in spots where all vehicles are prohibited from parking, when a vehicle is parked for more than 24 hours on a portion of the highway located within the boundaries of a common interested development, for parking at a rest area for more than 8 hours, when a mobile billboard advertising is displayed, or operating an autonomous vehicle without a permit. In addition, cities will still be able to tow a vehicle that is considered abandoned, wrecked, dismantled or inoperative

Old 06-03-2019, 01:50 PM

10,743 posts, read 5,672,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That's because those are the groups who are disparately impacted by the current law. If I park my car in front of my own house for more than 72 hours it is a violation and my car can be towed, even if it's legally parked and licensed and there are no unpaid tickets. The only law I broke was by not moving my car in 3 days, could that happen to me? heck yeah... there are plenty of times when I don't drive my car for four or five days, I'm retired and I can walk to stores, or I can use my husband's car. If my car was towed, I would pay around $150 to the Police Dept, show them my license and insurance and get my release. Then I would Uber to the tow yard and pay them the $500-$800 towing and impound fee. I'd be plenty mad at whoever the A** in my neighborhood was who called and had my car towed, but financially it wouldn't have a significant impact.

But for an hourly worker, or a retired or disabled person solely relying on SS or a small pension, not moving their own legally registered car from the front of their home for 3 days could be a deal breaker...they would likely have to borrow the money and figure out some way to get to the places they need to go, like Doctors appts, or taking the kids to and from school until they can get the money together to get the car back. And remember the cost to get that car back goes up by about $60 a day for as long as it takes the vehicle owner get the money together to get it released

So by their very nature these kinds of laws have a disparate impact on the poor, the disabled, the homeless, and yes people of color because a far higher number of them are poor than are white people in California. I'm really sorry if it offends you that they called a spade a spade in the wording of the law but so be it.
Still 100% under their control, and very easily avoidable.

Old 06-03-2019, 02:01 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Still 100% under their control, and very easily avoidable.
sure thing...

Old 06-03-2019, 02:21 PM

43,096 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
sure thing...
Like driving around the block and then look for a new space.
I don't see the hardship in doing that.

Old 06-03-2019, 03:48 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Like driving around the block and then look for a new space.
I don't see the hardship in doing that.
Rather than park in front of my own home, are you serious? I don't have a 2 hour zone or a meter on my street, the only area marked no parking is by the fire hydrant and I certainly don't park there. What exists here as well as most of California is a stupid law that even if you are legally parked with current registration your car can be towed if it isn't moved within 72 hours and they don't even have to post the law.

My question to you is, why do you want to be an apologist for a really stupid law?

Old 06-03-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Rather than park in front of my own home, are you serious? I don't have a 2 hour zone or a meter on the street I live in, what exists here as well as most of California is a stupid law that even if you are legally parked with current registration your car can be towed if it isn't moved within 72 hours.

Why do you want to be an apologist for a really stupid law?

This is also easily solvable. Just move somewhere without these mean parking restrictions.

Again, 100% under your control.

Old 06-03-2019, 03:56 PM

43,096 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
Rather than park in front of my own home, are you serious? I don't have a 2 hour zone or a meter on my street, the only area marked no parking is by the fire hydrant and I certainly don't park there. What exists here as well as most of California is a stupid law that even if you are legally parked with current registration your car can be towed if it isn't moved within 72 hours and they don't even have to post the law.

My question to you is, why do you want to be an apologist for a really stupid law?
Ok then why not get rid of that stupid law ?
Why was that law enacted to begin with ?

Why add layers of more laws on top of a law that shouldn't have been there to begin with ?

Old 06-03-2019, 03:57 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
This is also easily solvable. Just move somewhere without these mean parking restrictions.

Again, 100% under your control.
Wow, some of you guys are really stubborn.

I forgot that everyone on the internet is perfect, my b.

Old 06-03-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Wow, some of you guys are really stubborn.

I forgot that everyone on the internet is perfect, my b.
One need not be perfect to realize that very simple solutions exist for this "problem."

Lots of people make it their entire lives without ever getting a parking ticket, AND, they also manage to keep their vehicle registrations current. Neither of these are the near impossible tasks that many in this thread try to portray them as.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events