Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 08:14 AM

264 posts, read 136,644 times

Advertisements

Americans are just obese sick people with poor health. thats why they are the only ones dying.
If I were DR would ban any american over 230 pounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
To be fair - how many tourists die in Florida every year? Is anyone even tracking that?
the state department said there is no uptick in deaths in DR. and that there is no evidence of poisoning. they only collected samples of 3 of the bodies, all others died of natural causes.

toxicological exams are pending.

Americans love a good conspiracy.

wherever you put 2.5 millions of fat, sick Americans someone will die, I am surprised the number of dead is not in the hundreds.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:55 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
This is one of the shadiest things ever.

There was a large group of Jimmy Buffet fans who got very sick in the DR, and also a high school group also got very ill.
I thought it was tied to the alcohol but if a group of high schoolers got ill, likely they were not drinking (or perhaps since it was not the US maybe they were .. but probably not) … if it's not the alcohol, what is it?

Old 06-20-2019, 10:23 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
People are now coming out of the woodwork with their "I got sick in the DR" stories which could be coincidences or completely unrelated to any suspicion with these deaths. It's known that the drinking water in some of these countries is not safe for tourists whose bodies are used to higher standards for water cleanliness, so drinking the water, using ice cubes, eating fresh produce that's been washed in the water, even brushing your teeth with the tap water or showering means someone will/can ingest the water and experience gastro and other symptoms from whatever is in in that tends to make tourists sick, but not locals whose bodies are accustomed to it. It isn't that difficult to get sick from the water. I know multiple people who got sick after ingesting tap water in Mexico, even when they were trying to be careful, multiple people who have been affected over like two decades, so some more recently and some years ago. It's nothing new.

People go to developing countries, including many Caribbean islands or countries, and expect standards like we have in the US. They expect the water they drink to be safe, they expect the alcohol in the bottle to be what the bottle says it is, and not possibly refilled with something else to save money. But I don't think we can trust some other countries like we can trust our own in these contexts. We don't know what their standards are or what regulatory bodies, if any, oversee things like alcohol sales and use in resorts.

What is suspicious to me about these deaths is that a couple (one in his early 60s, the other 49) died at the same time from seemingly the same cause, and healthy younger people have also dropped dead. A 41 year old woman died, she wasn't "fat." Could she have had some underlying problem, like a heart condition? Sure. But anyone who is claiming their loved one died shortly after drinking from the room's minibar or other alcohol at the resort should have that claim taken seriously, especially when a lot of the dead experienced similar symptoms shortly after allegedly having a drink, whether from the room or elsewhere on the property. They're also dying days apart, in some cases, totally unrelated people dying from similar causes mere days or weeks apart. The same resorts also keep popping up, notably the Bahia Principe and Hard Rock. The couple and 41 year old both had fluid in their lungs and apparently died of heart attacks, after drinking alcohol from the room, at the same resort, and it happened days apart. It's suspicious.

Yes, people die overseas while on vacation, it's relatively normal. But is it normal for many of their families to claim they died soon after drinking alcohol from their room, died of similar or the same cause after having the same symptoms? Is it normal for others to claim (as I've seen around the internet in the wake of these reports) that the alcohol they've had at these places didn't taste or look right? I don't think so. Something is not right. Like others, I suspect either the alcohol or pesticide use.

This is an interesting article about how "bootleg" alcohol is a rather common issue in some places, including DR, and that multiple locals in both Haiti and the DR died from something called "cleren" in 2017. It was traced back to Haiti.

And this article outlines well the deaths and timelines.

Old 06-20-2019, 12:10 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,544,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
People are now coming out of the woodwork with their "I got sick in the DR" stories which could be coincidences or completely unrelated to any suspicion with these deaths. It's known that the drinking water in some of these countries is not safe for tourists whose bodies are used to higher standards for water cleanliness, so drinking the water, using ice cubes, eating fresh produce that's been washed in the water, even brushing your teeth with the tap water or showering means someone will/can ingest the water and experience gastro and other symptoms from whatever is in in that tends to make tourists sick, but not locals whose bodies are accustomed to it. It isn't that difficult to get sick from the water. I know multiple people who got sick after ingesting tap water in Mexico, even when they were trying to be careful, multiple people who have been affected over like two decades, so some more recently and some years ago. It's nothing new.

People go to developing countries, including many Caribbean islands or countries, and expect standards like we have in the US. They expect the water they drink to be safe, they expect the alcohol in the bottle to be what the bottle says it is, and not possibly refilled with something else to save money. But I don't think we can trust some other countries like we can trust our own in these contexts. We don't know what their standards are or what regulatory bodies, if any, oversee things like alcohol sales and use in resorts.

What is suspicious to me about these deaths is that a couple (one in his early 60s, the other 49) died at the same time from seemingly the same cause, and healthy younger people have also dropped dead. A 41 year old woman died, she wasn't "fat." Could she have had some underlying problem, like a heart condition? Sure. But anyone who is claiming their loved one died shortly after drinking from the room's minibar or other alcohol at the resort should have that claim taken seriously, especially when a lot of the dead experienced similar symptoms shortly after allegedly having a drink, whether from the room or elsewhere on the property. They're also dying days apart, in some cases, totally unrelated people dying from similar causes mere days or weeks apart. The same resorts also keep popping up, notably the Bahia Principe and Hard Rock. The couple and 41 year old both had fluid in their lungs and apparently died of heart attacks, after drinking alcohol from the room, at the same resort, and it happened days apart. It's suspicious.

Yes, people die overseas while on vacation, it's relatively normal. But is it normal for many of their families to claim they died soon after drinking alcohol from their room, died of similar or the same cause after having the same symptoms? Is it normal for others to claim (as I've seen around the internet in the wake of these reports) that the alcohol they've had at these places didn't taste or look right? I don't think so. Something is not right. Like others, I suspect either the alcohol or pesticide use.

This is an interesting article about how "bootleg" alcohol is a rather common issue in some places, including DR, and that multiple locals in both Haiti and the DR died from something called "cleren" in 2017. It was traced back to Haiti.

And this article outlines well the deaths and timelines.
Which is unusual because the DR although on the same island as Haiti wants nothing to Haiti, commerce, trade Nada!
In the Words of the rapper T-Pain, "Blame it on the Alcohol"

Old 06-20-2019, 08:49 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,282,192 times
Not a big conspiracy theory from me ...just a small one; a tin-foil bandana, if you will.

Probably a bar worker upset about Trump talk, spiking Gringo drinks with poison.

Any competent police department would start investigating the kitchen and, all the bartenders. ...but DR police ain't gonna do a damn thing except stop people on the side of the roads in the Campos for 500 pesos (like 30 or 40 bux).

----------

Shades of the incident with the movie "The Interview" basically shut down because of potential threats from North Korea. Really, it was, at that time, a recently fired worker with a grudge who made it look that way.

So, yea, like DR, still a conspiracy theory proven to be a fact but, still a much smaller conspircay than originally anticipated.

Old 06-22-2019, 10:55 AM

1,289 posts, read 937,767 times
Default now add Susan Simoneaux

https://nypost.com/2019/06/20/bride-...lic-honeymoon/

Old 06-22-2019, 11:11 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,576,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabandgo View Post
the state department said there is no uptick in deaths in DR. and that there is no evidence of poisoning. they only collected samples of 3 of the bodies, all others died of natural causes.

toxicological exams are pending.

Americans love a good conspiracy.

wherever you put 2.5 millions of fat, sick Americans someone will die, I am surprised the number of dead is not in the hundreds.

Yup I just read this same thing this morning. The number of non accidental deaths of Americans down there aren’t any different than years past

Old 06-22-2019, 08:24 PM

1,289 posts, read 937,767 times
Default Vittorio Caruso

https://nypost.com/2019/06/22/long-i...nican-republic

Old 06-24-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaLia View Post
that man was not in a resort, had a girlfriend there, had a heart issue, this is just getting ridiculous, there are 100k Americans living permanently in DR, every time one dies they will call it suspicious?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events