Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2020, 08:12 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Yes, he did. And prosecutors will offer sweetheart deals like that to save their own face. The prosecutor, I'm certain, has zero interest putting a blubbering broken grandpa on the stand and tossing this case to a jury.

The prosecutor also has no interest in backing down, and dropping the charges.

He's in a no win situation here.

And meanwhile, it appears RC has reworked the area where Chloe fell, for the apparent purpose of making it safer. So there's that. I don't know what changes they've made to the observation area.
Speculation or do you have something to back that up?
As for a 'blubbering broken grandpa', he doesn't seem to be garnering much sympathy, or even much belief in the court of social media. I don't think it would be much different with an actual jury, although I'm sure the defense will try to seat as sympathetic a jury as they can.

Old 02-07-2020, 08:15 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Yep. And from what I understand, the prosecutor has offered a lesser charge and no jail time if the grandpa admits responsibility.
I do think he should take responsibility. I wonder how much of it is denial, though - not being able to face that he killed his granddaughter? Or fear that if he says it is his fault and not the cruise line's, the baby's parents will turn their anger toward him instead of the cruise line? It's a horrible situation to be in for everyone involved.

Old 02-07-2020, 08:20 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I do think he should take responsibility. I wonder how much of it is denial, though - not being able to face that he killed his granddaughter? Or fear that if he says it is his fault and not the cruise line's, the baby's parents will turn their anger toward him instead of the cruise line? It's a horrible situation to be in for everyone involved.
I completely agree. Just horrible. What a loss of that sweet child.

Old 02-07-2020, 08:26 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
They all have some fault in this. The parents are probably mad at themselves because they left the kid in the hands of the step grandfather. I did not see a single other family member in the area. Both sets of grandparents were on the cruise. Plus the parents. Well the grandfather in the case is a step grandfather.

If another person was around, would have probably told him that it was not a good idea to put that child up on the railing in front of an open window.

And what if this guy just snapped and did it on purpose?

Old 02-07-2020, 08:44 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonmam View Post
Daily Mail is reporting that the judge has denied RC's Motion to Dismiss and the civil case will proceed to trial. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...d-lawsuit.html

Judge Says Lawsuit Filed by Family of Indiana Toddler Who Fell to Her Death Off Royal Caribbean Ship May Proceed - Posted 6:30 PM, February 6, 2020, by CNN Wire, Updated at 06:32PM, February 6, 2020
Quote:
The judge on Thursday also ordered the cruise line to respond within five days to the plaintiff’s assertions that the company did not produce video from some cameras on the ship.

Royal Caribbean to refile motion to dismiss lawsuit from family of toddler who died - By Jamiel Lynch and Steve Almasy, CNN - Updated 11:46 PM ET, Thu February 6, 2020
Quote:
After a federal judge denied a motion by Royal Caribbean Cruises to dismiss the lawsuit filed by the family of an Indiana toddler who fell to her death off a cruise ship, the company said it would refile the motion.
A judge in the Southern District of Florida told the company it could do so if it limited its arguments to "the four corners of the Plaintiff's complaint."
Jonathon Fishman, a manager of corporate reputation for Royal Caribbean said the cruise line's lawyers would adjust the motion and submit it again in the "upcoming days."

Family of toddler who died in fall from cruise ship can sue Royal Caribbean, judge rules
Chloe Wiegand, an 18-month-old from Indiana, fell to her death last summer off a Royal Caribbean vessel docked at Puerto Rico. Feb. 6, 2020, 4:55 PM EST - By David K. Li and Krista Brunson
Quote:
Royal Caribbean Cruises had sought to end the federal civil action by Indiana residents Alan and Kim Wiegand, whose 18-month-old daughter, Chloe, suffered a fatal fall on July 7 from the ship Freedom of the Seas.

Both the cruise line's motion to dismiss and U.S. District Judge Donald Graham's ruling were expected. Both sides still have a long way to go in exchanging evidence before any judgment can be made, according to the judge.

"The parties have exchanged very little in terms of discovery and catapulting this case past the discovery phase would require the plaintiffs to defend the merits of their case prematurely and without essential evidence," Graham wrote.

Old 02-07-2020, 09:32 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
They all have some fault in this. The parents are probably mad at themselves because they left the kid in the hands of the step grandfather. I did not see a single other family member in the area. Both sets of grandparents were on the cruise. Plus the parents. Well the grandfather in the case is a step grandfather.

If another person was around, would have probably told him that it was not a good idea to put that child up on the railing in front of an open window.

And what if this guy just snapped and did it on purpose?
The cruise line has zero fault in this, in my opinion.

Only one person is at fault, the GF.

Old 02-07-2020, 09:36 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post

I should say that by "they all" - I meant the family. Well except for the other kids.

Old 02-07-2020, 09:43 AM

8,481 posts, read 6,886,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post

Civil law is riddled with cases that presumably were zero fault but a plaintiff prevailed. You’re dealing with juries ruled by emotion who ignore facts. Once again out of court settlement.

Old 02-07-2020, 09:58 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I should say that by "they all" - I meant the family. Well except for the other kids.
Ah, got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Civil law is riddled with cases that presumably were zero fault but a plaintiff prevailed. You’re dealing with juries ruled by emotion who ignore facts. Once again out of court settlement.
Do not disagree with that, have read some crazy stuff, also have encountered some crazy view points regarding such things, I can just imagine them sitting on these juries.

Old 02-07-2020, 10:01 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Family lawyer is grasping for the crumbs. He will get plenty, the family may see a settlement on paper, but they will get little (if any).

Grandpa may 'feel' a slight personal relief with him presuming RCL was culpable (in a tiny way). Tho most of of consider not the fault of RCL.

Family is just going through he motions, trying to save face.

Their attorney... milking the cow, feeding at the pig-trough.

Bad situation for RCL.

All of us will suffer the consequences. (more rules, less freedom, higher costs.)

Granddaughter, Bro, and parents suffered the most. Her death will always be with them. (Money or not)
Grandpa will likely 'check-out' sooner than later... abandoned by family, friends, or self.

Sad ending for all.
Poor choices?... many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events