Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2021, 04:59 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,012,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
What I mean about it could happen to any of us is that an accident with a child could happen to any of us. Turn your head a minute, the kid runs in the street or down the street. I've had times in my own house where a kid was here one minute, blink, they're gone. My daughter used to quietly run then climb things. She broke her leg in 3 places climbing her fathers Harley when he turned his head. She came home with a velcro cast, climbed up the desk. I grabbed her as she and the monitor were about to fall.

One of her friends are doing a few years because he got into a car accident where his youngest daughter died.
But it wasn't an accident like you describe here. He didn't turn his head while she climbed up a chair and fell out a window. It wasn't a blink and they're off and running moment. He picked her off the ground and held her out a window 11 stories above a concrete pier.

And if a friend was sentenced to several years in prison for a car accident, he was most likely under the influence or doing something else that was highly negligent that caused a deadly crash. Not a situation most people find themselves in by accident.

That was a choice, as was the events that lead to Chloe's death. That is why people are saying it would never happen to them. Most people know they are not going to do anything so reckless with a child. I know I would never hold a child out an 11 story window. I probably wouldn't even hold a phone out a window that heigh in fear that I might drop it.

Old 02-15-2021, 05:06 AM

23,862 posts, read 33,533,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
But it wasn't an accident like you describe here. He didn't turn his head while she climbed up a chair and fell out a window. It wasn't a blink and they're off and running moment. He picked her off the ground and held her out a window 11 stories above a concrete pier.

And if a friend was sentenced to several years in prison for a car accident, he was most likely under the influence or doing something else that was highly negligent that caused a deadly crash. Not a situation most people find themselves in by accident.

That was a choice, as was the events that lead to Chloe's death. That is why people are saying it would never happen to them. Most people know they are not going to do anything so reckless with a child. I know I would never hold a child out an 11 story window. I probably wouldn't even hold a phone out a window that heigh in fear that I might drop it.

I'm not sure with her friend. He's almost out. It's been a few years.

I'll have to rewatch the video, I don't remember him holding her out the window. I remember him lifting her up to the window. I thought she leaned over and fell out.

Old 02-15-2021, 06:06 AM

30,619 posts, read 18,203,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
The cruise line produced security footage which showed the grandfather, just prior to picking up the kid, leaning out of the window he claimed he thought was closed. So he knew the window was open and dangled her out of it anyway. Entirely his fault, and trying to scapegoat the cruise line won't change that.
What is truly disgusting is that the family filed a response in court to have the new video stricken from the record

I do not like seeing a family who has already lost so much in the life of an infant go through any more pain, but when you push a ridiculous lawsuit in spite of all of the evidence disproving your allegations, you should get what is coming to you. At this point, the family needs to be counter-sued for millions for wasting the court's time and going forward with a frivolous lawsuit (if this hasn't already happened).

Old 02-15-2021, 09:02 AM

46,944 posts, read 25,972,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
He deliberately held a child out an open window 11 stories above a concrete pier. Such actions are reckless.

You cannot accidentally pick a small child up off the ground, hoist her over a guard rail and out an open window. Especially not when you just stuck your head out that same open window moments ago. He did not think through what could happen if he lost his grip. That is the very definition of reckless- without thinking or caring about the consequences of an action.
Splitting hairs, admittedly, but reckless generally comes without deliberation. Carelessness and recklessness are degrees of "could be reasonably expected to know of the danger".

If there's deliberation - "knew of the danger, deliberately did it anyway" - then we're in the "knowingly endangered" territory.

Old 02-15-2021, 09:12 AM

88,527 posts, read 84,719,546 times
What bothers me in the mentally that leaps from, "OH MY GOD OUR BABY IS DEAD!" to, "Hey, let's see if we can get some money for this!" under the pretense that you're doing it for the safety of others.

Old 02-15-2021, 09:51 AM

6,449 posts, read 9,807,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
What bothers me in the mentally that leaps from, "OH MY GOD OUR BABY IS DEAD!" to, "Hey, let's see if we can get some money for this!" under the pretense that you're doing it for the safety of others.
I agree. If they were only suing to have safety nets installed around the ships then thats one thing, but to try and profit off this is just gross.

Old 02-15-2021, 10:00 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,012,788 times
Quote:
Then why use him as an example of "Oops, sometimes accidents happen!" If he spent several years in prison for a "car accident" it sounds like he was seriously in the wrong and probably charged with something like a felony vehicular homicide. You don't get those kinds of charges for sliding on black ice or some other unavoidable accident.

Old 02-15-2021, 10:05 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Quote:

I'll have to rewatch the video, I don't remember him holding her out the window. I remember him lifting her up to the window. I thought she leaned over and fell out.
He didn't sit her on the sill - well possibly he did, but he had her outside the window and lost his grip. She may have "wiggled" or moved or something - and probably did, and perhaps that caused him to lose his grip. In any event, just a really totally stupid thing to do. It was an open window, and there is simply no way to deny that he was completely aware of it.

Watch this video (it was posted earlier) closely starting at 39:00. He positioned her so that at least part her body was outside the window. That much is clear.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMPn...OrgulloBoricua

Last edited by ChessieMom; 02-15-2021 at 11:29 AM..

Old 02-15-2021, 10:09 AM

8,480 posts, read 6,882,429 times
This is a long thread. Was there any evidence Grandpa had been drinking? There’s a history of folks falling from high places on cruise ships and killing themselves. A lot of it due to alcohol.

Old 02-15-2021, 10:16 AM

88,527 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
This is a long thread. Was there any evidence Grandpa had been drinking? There’s a history of folks falling from high places on cruise ships and killing themselves. A lot of it due to alcohol.
No, that was speculated, since they were in a bar/lounge area, but if WE all thought of it, very likely the investigators did, too. I don't think there was ever any evidence of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events