Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2019, 05:35 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,670,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Oh! Thanks for the pics!

That window slants quite a bit. There is no way in heck I'd even carry a kid in my arms that close to a window that high that was open & angled like that!

Freaks me out even thinking about it.
IMO if you have to say/think that, then it's a stupid design by the Cruise line.

I'm not saying the GP isn't at fault, but yeah.

Old 12-05-2019, 06:15 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
IMO if you have to say/think that, then it's a stupid design by the Cruise line.
It's a window. They essentially constitute openings in walls. It's their function.

The balconies attached to staterooms have just the guardrail - no one-foot inboard offset from the edge - and responsible people don't carry kids close to the balcony guardrail, either. Same for the weatherdeck railings.

It's a freakin' ship, and that means that eventually, even the most drunk and/or inattentive passenger will encounter the delineation where the ship ends and the air & ocean begins.

How the hell do such people handle ski lifts or mountain hiking paths or railroad platforms or even pedestrian crossings?

Old 12-05-2019, 06:30 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,670,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
It's a window. They essentially constitute openings in walls. It's their function.

The balconies attached to staterooms have just the guardrail - no one-foot inboard offset from the edge - and responsible people don't carry kids close to the balcony guardrail, either. Same for the weatherdeck railings.

It's a freakin' ship, and that means that eventually, even the most drunk and/or inattentive passenger will encounter the delineation where the ship ends and the air & ocean begins.

How the hell do such people handle ski lifts or mountain hiking paths or railroad platforms or even pedestrian crossings?
Thanks, I know what a window is.

The GP obviously didn't see that it was open, etc.

You obviously know you can fall off a balcony or fall off a ski lift.

I'm not saying he's not at fault but I doubt a jury will convict him.

Old 12-05-2019, 10:07 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
It seems the bottom of the window that opens is at least waist high on the average adult, based on two adults standing in front of it in one of those pictures and based on videos you can find on YT of that area of the ship (like the one below). It also appears that the railing is a little higher than the bottom of the window, and there is a gap between it and the window. Not dangerous imo without doing something risky. Like placing a not even 2 year old on the railing in front of it and letting her go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5e6b2VOdys

The fact that no one has gone out these windows in the ship's history except this little girl says a lot. It's been in service for over a decade, close to 14 years. Yes, anything can happen potentially, but you can label almost anything a risk then if this is also still a risk and dangerous despite its record. Someone made a stupid decision and now they have an annoying lawyer trying to blame the cruise line.

I have been on cruises, not this one, but other RCCL ships. And I know people who have been on multiple other lines, though not me personally, and have seen pictures and heard about their experiences and the safety of the ships from them. It is not easy to fall overboard from really anywhere on a cruise ship, in my experience. They are designed well imo. One would have to do something reckless or negligent (or criminal), and to stop recklessness and negligence - stupidity - to prevent people going overboard, you'd have to entirely enclose the ship and rid of open air spaces like balconies, decks, and open windows, which would defeat the purpose of cruising.

On an irrelevant note, bold imo to take a baby/toddler on a cruise in the first place. I think kids that age are a little young for such an experience but that's just me. Sounds entirely unenjoyable for all the supervising adults imo but everyone's different.

Old 12-06-2019, 12:30 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post

I'm not saying the GP isn't at fault, but yeah.
It's the first thing I thought when I saw the pictures. I wouldn't have gone near it with a child but I've had 11 kids. I know how they can bolt, rock, jerk around, etc ...

Sometimes I go crazy just going to a grocery store watching kids standing up in the carts, UGH! I just stop & stare until the parent gets the hint. I can't help it!

So I guess I'm not saying it wasn't the GPs fault either ... I wouldn't even remain on a floor with those angled windows with a child but I'm just really used to kids. And the majority of 5-year-olds I've ever known could be swinging up on that rail in seconds flat & be falling out that window too.

Old 12-06-2019, 12:39 AM

3,573 posts, read 2,882,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
It seems the bottom of the window that opens is at least waist high on the average adult, based on two adults standing in front of it in one of those pictures and based on videos you can find on YT of that area of the ship (like the one below). It also appears that the railing is a little higher than the bottom of the window, and there is a gap between it and the window. Not dangerous imo without doing something risky. Like placing a not even 2 year old on the railing in front of it and letting her go.
Thank you for that observation, I had thought the windows went all the way to the floor but watching the video that is clearly not the case. There's a great shot in the video where he walks right up to an open window.

Yes, there would have to be some effort or great carelessness for anyone to go over the rail and through the window. It was also more obvious that no reasonable person would mistake an open window for closed. No only is it visually apparent but when sitting 150 ft above the dock in a San Juan, PR marine weather environment you're are going to feel the breeze.

There is a constant steady wind in SJ during the summer months. Easy to check too, go here for July 2019 SJ weather history- https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/...th=7&year=2019

Last edited by Sockeye66; 12-06-2019 at 12:56 AM..

Old 12-06-2019, 09:31 AM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
People he PUT her up there and DROPPED her via the words out of his OWN MOUTH. The parents should be suing HIM not RCCL. It was 1000% his fault. He's backtracking now. Gp should be a jailbird and the parents should visit him in jail when possible and leave RCCL alone.

Old 12-06-2019, 10:17 AM

2,020 posts, read 1,123,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
People he PUT her up there and DROPPED her via the words out of his OWN MOUTH. The parents should be suing HIM not RCCL. It was 1000% his fault. He's backtracking now. Gp should be a jailbird and the parents should visit him in jail when possible and leave RCCL alone.
After watching the video posted by JerseyGirl415, it really does not fare well for Grandpa's multitude of excuses. It seems impossible to believe that he put her on the railing and did not know the window was open. There is very little distance between the rail and the window. There is a color differential. There is the depth perception issue. There is the air effect. Poor Chloe.

Old 12-06-2019, 10:57 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Exactly. People that have not been on these ships don’t understand - it is very easy to tell that a window is open. Very clearly open. One would have to be extremely impaired to make such a mistake.

Old 12-06-2019, 11:50 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
Thank you for that observation, I had thought the windows went all the way to the floor...
That would have been inexcusable, as well as a blatant violation of a handful of safety regulations and treaties. Passenger ships must have a fairly-well-specified railing separating passenger areas from the sea (or dangerous areas on the ship itself.)

Last edited by Dane_in_LA; 12-06-2019 at 12:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events