Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2019, 05:53 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
No no, it's not his fault, because if the window had been closed she merely would have smashed into it headfirst and then fallen four feet down to the floor.

So it's the fault of the ship for having an open window.
Ah true, letting go of her was stupid either way. Nice point; what if the window HAD been closed and he still let go of her isn't something I thought of. There is a gap between the railing she was sat on and the window. She probably would have fell between the railing and the window. 1.5 year olds aren't the most balanced, especially when sat on a rather thin railing with no support.

Old 12-04-2019, 07:02 AM

924 posts, read 1,677,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Ah true, letting go of her was stupid either way. Nice point; what if the window HAD been closed and he still let go of her isn't something I thought of. There is a gap between the railing she was sat on and the window. She probably would have fell between the railing and the window. 1.5 year olds aren't the most balanced, especially when sat on a rather thin railing with no support.
Yes, there is about a foot of space between the rail and the wall of windows. Had it been closed, she would either have fallen backwards directly to the deck or forwards, down through the space, her head possibly bouncing off of the ledge, rail, lower window and deck on the way down. Either way, serious head injury and disfigurement were likely to follow the moment he placed her on the rail and let go.

Old 12-04-2019, 07:06 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
This child wasn't a newborn, or a sack of potatoes.

If this case goes to actual trial (I'm doubtful) my guess is his lawyer will demonstrate that a child her age put on that handrail, facing a closed window and allowed to fall forward with her hands outstretched to slap on the window, will do exactly that.

Fall forward, encounter the window, and slap on it. No falling, no disfigurement, no serious head injury.

Get out a ruler, dragonman, and look at what a foot looks like. Then look at a child her age, and estimate the length of her arms.

She would have eased forward about 3 inches, and encountered the glass, if it were closed.

OR, very worst case, she would have fallen a yard to the ground. Get out a yardstick and imagine a toddler falling that distance.

You end up with a child who cries a moment but is fine. Maybe has a little bruising.

Grandpa's behind her. She's not falling backwards, she'd fall forwards, and hit the glass. If the window were closed.

Last edited by ClaraC; 12-04-2019 at 08:18 AM..

Old 12-04-2019, 09:04 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonmam View Post
Yes, there is about a foot of space between the rail and the wall of windows. Had it been closed, she would either have fallen backwards directly to the deck or forwards, down through the space, her head possibly bouncing off of the ledge, rail, lower window and deck on the way down. Either way, serious head injury and disfigurement were likely to follow the moment he placed her on the rail and let go.
She would have fallen forwards since she fell forwards out the window. Whether it was open or closed she was going down, forwards, and the difference would have been injury rather than death. I doubt serious injury, she would have been ok I think, but either way it would have been her grandpa’s fault for placing her on the railing and letting go.

Old 12-04-2019, 09:38 AM

14,309 posts, read 11,702,283 times
I'm still having a hard time picturing this and wish we had a diagram. A small child sitting on a narrow railing (I think I read that it was 4 feet high, not 3 feet) would lean forward a very short distance before slipping off the railing and down to the floor. With no other momentum, would she actually catapult out the window? How far down did this open window extend? Is it possible she was standing, not sitting, which makes it seem more likely that her trajectory would be outwards and not down?

Old 12-04-2019, 12:43 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,882,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Fall forward, encounter the window, and slap on it. No falling, no disfigurement, no serious head injury.

Get out a ruler, dragonman, and look at what a foot looks like. Then look at a child her age, and estimate the length of her arms.

She would have eased forward about 3 inches, and encountered the glass, if it were closed.

OR, very worst case, she would have fallen a yard to the ground. Get out a yardstick and imagine a toddler falling that distance.

You end up with a child who cries a moment but is fine. Maybe has a little bruising.

Grandpa's behind her. She's not falling backwards, she'd fall forwards, and hit the glass. If the window were closed.
I have to dispute this a bit Clara. If she fell forward she would not likely stop at the glass, a toddler lacks the strength and coordination to likely catch themselves. Plus, even if only leaning 3 inches those handrails are narrow and her weight shift would "scoot" her bottom forward too and off the rail.

Also, the fall would not be 36 inches, more 40-41, and if you look at the pictures posted here it's not a level surface to fall to. Maybe a little bruising but more likely more than that.

Old 12-04-2019, 01:42 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
I'm still having a hard time picturing this and wish we had a diagram. A small child sitting on a narrow railing (I think I read that it was 4 feet high, not 3 feet) would lean forward a very short distance before slipping off the railing and down to the floor. With no other momentum, would she actually catapult out the window? How far down did this open window extend? Is it possible she was standing, not sitting, which makes it seem more likely that her trajectory would be outwards and not down?
I think I read that she was, in fact, standing and he was holding (balancing) her on the rail.

Old 12-04-2019, 01:47 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I think I read that she was, in fact, standing and he was holding (balancing) her on the rail.
At first.

Then he sat her down on the rail and stood behind her, holding her.

Old 12-04-2019, 01:58 PM

14,309 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
At first.

Then he sat her down on the rail and stood behind her, holding her.
\

And this is all confirmed by video?

Old 12-04-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
\

And this is all confirmed by video?
I recall reading it somewhere, but I can't find it.

Edited to add: Here's the quote, written by a reporter by ABC who states they've reviewed the video.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/harrowing-...ry?id=67195061
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events