Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2019, 04:49 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,283,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
Thanks, I know what a window is.

The GP obviously didn't see that it was open, etc.

You obviously know you can fall off a balcony or fall off a ski lift.

I'm not saying he's not at fault but I doubt a jury will convict him.
It's actually not obvious to me. He says he didn't notice. And I'm sure he wants to believe it, desperately. But I, personally, don't think he didn't know it was open. I just don't see how it could be possible.

Old 12-11-2019, 04:54 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
It's actually not obvious to me. He says he didn't notice. And I'm sure he wants to believe it, desperately. But I, personally, don't think he didn't know it was open. I just don't see how it could be possible.
I agree. Gramps is not old, decrepit, senile or blind. He was also standing directly in front of the open window for more than just a second or two.

Old 12-11-2019, 05:30 PM

185 posts, read 134,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I agree. Gramps is not old, decrepit, senile or blind. He was also standing directly in front of the open window for more than just a second or two.
I was recently on this ship and I could tell which windows were open from a few feet away. I was skeptical of his claim before and now that I have physically seen the area, just do not believe he did not know unless he was impaired. I would like to give the family the benefit of the doubt and think that they are so deep in grief that it is easier to blame RC than deal with the fact that a family member was so careless. However, the fact that they keep focusing on the window and gloss over the grandfather placing her on the railing in the 1st place is what led to this tragedy makes me wonder if they see nothing wrong with him doing that.

Old 12-11-2019, 05:31 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,880,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
And was 150 feet up from the dock in a marine environment with a steady breeze.

Old 12-11-2019, 07:19 PM

7,090 posts, read 4,521,984 times
I have been on this cruise ship and many others. I don’t know how you couldn’t know that the window was open. I think he will be convicted. I don’t know how the family supports him.

Old 12-11-2019, 07:53 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times
So. Many in his thread have said the windows HAVE to be opened - otherwise, the heat and stagnation would be unbearable.

And yet, only one of the windows, out of so many, was open.

So it appears it's not really important to have them open for ventilation. One window open doesn't create much ventilation at all - it takes at least two, crosswise to create ventilation.

So why was this one window open?

Old 12-11-2019, 10:03 PM

7,090 posts, read 4,521,984 times
Many are open on a cruise. That’s why you take it. You can feel the breeze.,

Old 12-11-2019, 11:43 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,880,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
So. Many in his thread have said the windows HAVE to be opened - otherwise, the heat and stagnation would be unbearable.

So it appears it's not really important to have them open for ventilation. One window open doesn't create much ventilation at all - it takes at least two, crosswise to create ventilation.

The ship was not yet underway, passengers were still boarding and likely readying their rooms. Once sailing there would be greater need to allow the wind to cross the deck.

I'm sure once everyone settled those tables and chair would occupy and windows more likely opened.

Old 12-12-2019, 03:04 AM

15,417 posts, read 9,065,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Many are open on a cruise. That’s why you take it. You can feel the breeze.,
Maybe this family should have taken a submarine, instead. But somehow I think grandpa would have still managed to do something really stupid.

Old 12-12-2019, 03:43 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

Because a previous passenger came by and opened it for the view?
I would imagine the crew only shut windows for cleaning purposes, probably while docked. Opening any windows was probably left to the passengers during the cruise. There wouldn't be much need for ventilation before leaving port if passengers hadn't yet started congregating there.
You still don't find it odd that grandpa went to the only open window? And didn't notice that the window was in any way different than all the others?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events