Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2019, 07:23 AM

22,333 posts, read 29,421,443 times

Advertisements

I won't bother to look at the statement because I cannot fathom that some people are that stupid that they cannot realize their own family member can make that huge of a mistake and the blame shouldn't passed on to someone else for their own actions

Old 12-12-2019, 07:27 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,623 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Many are open on a cruise. That’s why you take it. You can feel the breeze.,
In this story, there's only one window open. So no, many weren't open. It was the solo open window on that entire deck.

Old 12-12-2019, 07:32 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Because a previous passenger came by and opened it for the view?
I would imagine the crew only shut windows for cleaning purposes, probably while docked. Opening any windows was probably left to the passengers during the cruise. There wouldn't be much need for ventilation before leaving port if passengers hadn't yet started congregating there.
You still don't find it odd that grandpa went to the only open window? And didn't notice that the window was in any way different than all the others?
Yes, I do find that incredibly odd. It's often really odd, the things that people somehow don't notice.

When I weigh the two possibilities against each other:

1. He didn't notice he was standing in front of an open window

or

2. He chose to first stand, then sit his beloved baby granddaughter on a railing in front of a window he knew to be open, 115 feet off the ground.

I have an easier time believing the first statement. Both are difficult to believe, but #1 is easier.

Old 12-12-2019, 07:57 AM

14,303 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Yes, I do find that incredibly odd. It's often really odd, the things that people somehow don't notice.

When I weigh the two possibilities against each other:

1. He didn't notice he was standing in front of an open window

or

2. He chose to first stand, then sit his beloved baby granddaughter on a railing in front of a window he knew to be open, 115 feet off the ground.

I have an easier time believing the first statement. Both are difficult to believe, but #1 is easier.
So why does one head straight for the only open window in a bank of windows? The most likely reason is that someone wants to look out, and realizes that the view would be best from that window. There is no blue tint, there is no glare, no whatever might be stuck to a window. No obstruction to the view whatsoever. So although Grandpa noticed that the view was best from this open window, he didn't notice it was open?

Old 12-12-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
So why does one head straight for the only open window in a bank of windows? The most likely reason is that someone wants to look out, and realizes that the view would be best from that window. There is no blue tint, there is no glare, no whatever might be stuck to a window. No obstruction to the view whatsoever. So although Grandpa noticed that the view was best from this open window, he didn't notice it was open?
You can try to "logic" this all day, and I still am stuck with the two possibilities - he didn't notice, or he purposely put this precious baby on the rail in front of an open window.

I still end up with the most believable statement being "he didn't notice".

Old 12-12-2019, 08:19 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
You can try to "logic" this all day, and I still am stuck with the two possibilities - he didn't notice, or he purposely put this precious baby on the rail in front of an open window.

You don't think it more likely he knew the window was open but was absolutely convinced he had a firm enough grip on the child/was far enough back to think he had the situation entirely under control, only to discover to his horror that he didn't, and she somehow slipped form his hold? I agree that it's not a pretty thought, but I think many people find that far more believable than the fact that he didn't notice something that would appear to be blatantly obvious.
Lots and lots of people do really stupid things because they don't think of possible consequences and I think this was one of those times. I don't think he thought it was possible he'd lose his grasp on her. Probably never crossed his mind.
He was careless when decided to place her at risk in a situation where she might fall, but I think he put her there sincerely thinking he could keep her safe himself.

Old 12-12-2019, 08:19 AM

752 posts, read 459,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
You don't think it more likely he knew the window was open but was absolutely convinced he had a firm enough grip on the child/was far enough back to think he had the situation entirely under control, only to discover to his horror that he didn't, and she somehow slipped form his hold? I agree that it's not a pretty thought, but I think many people find that far more believable than the fact that he didn't notice something that would appear to be blatantly obvious.
Lots and lots of people do really stupid things because they don't think of possible consequences and I think this was one of those times. I don't think he thought it was possible he'd lose his grasp on her.
He was careless when decided to place her at risk in a situation where she might fall, but I think he put her there sincerely thinking he could keep her safe himself.
Agree.

I've been following this since the beginning. I will only say that people do ill advised and stupid stuff with kids all the time, not because they are bad people but because they "aren't thinking." This seems to be one of those cases.

Infants/toddlers often get lifted up as a matter of practice to see things since they are only a couple feet tall and the world isn't designed for them. Go to a zoo, or a parade, or a museum, and you will see adults lifting kids, standing the kids on objects, etc. It's actually a very natural thing to do......just don't do it on a railing at an open window that is 150 ft off the ground.

I think he purposely went to that open window for the view, lifted the kid she could see as well, and the kid jumped or jerked and he lost his grip. When I got in a car accident when I was 16, I told my dad that my foot slipped off the brake and onto the gas.....that was a lie but it was better than telling him that I was a terrible driver and lost control of the car.

He did something stupid which makes him pretty average but the odds stacked up against him in this case and the kid went out the window. Tragedy but he shouldn't be prosecuted and the family shouldn't be suing.

Old 12-12-2019, 08:31 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Whether or not the window was open, the child wouldn't have fallen all those stories if her grandfather had not lifted her up.

Old 12-12-2019, 08:39 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,283,429 times
Quote:
So. Many in his thread have said the windows HAVE to be opened - otherwise, the heat and stagnation would be unbearable.

And yet, only one of the windows, out of so many, was open.

So it appears it's not really important to have them open for ventilation. One window open doesn't create much ventilation at all - it takes at least two, crosswise to create ventilation.

So why was this one window open?

They were probably closed for cleaning. People were still boarding the ship, so as people started coming to the area, they would most likely start opening the windows. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if the GF opened that one window himself. Not that he would ever admit it.

Old 12-12-2019, 08:45 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,868,485 times
Quote:

But that's just the thing... It's not believable. It doesn't seem you're factoring that the GP would be in a state of (extreme) denial. Who wants to believe that due to their (irresponsibility, stupidity or whatever) that it's their fault their loved one died? It doesn't have to be nefarious. It already is a hard thing to accept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events