Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2020, 07:51 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times

Advertisements

I don't think there should be charges against the grandfather and I also don't think there should be a lawsuit by the family against Royal Caribbean.

The grandfather is guilty of poor judgment, but what good would it do to convict him of manslaughter? He is going to grieve for the rest of his life and he is going to blame himself for the rest of his life. He didn't purposely drop her out of an 11th deck window.

The family going after the cruise line is wrong, too. The windows are up high enough that a child couldn't reach them without being helped by an adult. I was on a ship two weeks ago, a brand new ship, and watched a maybe 9 or 10 year old boy open and close a window in a restaurant on the 17th deck. The opening of the window was about armpit level for him; he would have had a hard time boosting himself up to fall out of the window. If he had fallen through the window I certainly wouldn't have thought it was the cruise line's fault.

Old 02-06-2020, 08:25 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,083,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I don't think there should be charges against the grandfather and I also don't think there should be a lawsuit by the family against Royal Caribbean.

The grandfather is guilty of poor judgment, but what good would it do to convict him of manslaughter? He is going to grieve for the rest of his life and he is going to blame himself for the rest of his life. He didn't purposely drop her out of an 11th deck window.

The family going after the cruise line is wrong, too. The windows are up high enough that a child couldn't reach them without being helped by an adult. I was on a ship two weeks ago, a brand new ship, and watched a maybe 9 or 10 year old boy open and close a window in a restaurant on the 17th deck. The opening of the window was about armpit level for him; he would have had a hard time boosting himself up to fall out of the window. If he had fallen through the window I certainly wouldn't have thought it was the cruise line's fault.
To punish him for killing his granddaughter, and to make him take responsibility for his actions. Those are the primary reasons for convicting anyone of any crime. As of yet, he has still not even taken any personal responsibility. He is blaming the cruise line.

Old 02-06-2020, 10:57 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
The cruise ship posted that video publicly, hoping to hoodwink the public into thinking grandpa had put his head across the plane where the glass would have been, making it uncontrovertably clear that grandpa knew the window was open when he lifted Chloe up. And that offends me, people who purposely try to hoodwink the public by showing a misleading and exceptionally grainy video and stating it shows grandpa's head going out the window.

I'm still in the camp of wanting to know more, and I don't believe for a moment they don't have video from the outside of the ship that would make it clear - one way or the other - whether grandpa had stuck his head and arms out the window before lifting Chloe up.
Misleading? It is pretty clear, he picked the kid up and placed her over the railing. He violated the safety devices. The video makes that 100% clear.

Old 02-06-2020, 11:27 PM

7,118 posts, read 4,540,768 times
The video is sickening. He picked her up and put her out the window and dropped her. He needs to go to prison and I cannot believe that the family is defending him. What about baby Chole?

Old 02-07-2020, 03:43 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
In the video, he leaned out of the open window. He knew that window was open.

Out of all the windows he could have held her up to, he picked the one he knew was open., then let her go.

In a heartbeat, a civil attorney was hired, and a lawsuit filed.

This sounds more like a scam than a negligent homicide.

Old 02-07-2020, 06:38 AM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
To punish him for killing his granddaughter, and to make him take responsibility for his actions. Those are the primary reasons for convicting anyone of any crime. As of yet, he has still not even taken any personal responsibility. He is blaming the cruise line.
Yep. And from what I understand, the prosecutor has offered a lesser charge and no jail time if the grandpa admits responsibility.

Old 02-07-2020, 07:05 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Yep. And from what I understand, the prosecutor has offered a lesser charge and no jail time if the grandpa admits responsibility.
Yes, he did. And prosecutors will offer sweetheart deals like that to save their own face. The prosecutor, I'm certain, has zero interest putting a blubbering broken grandpa on the stand and tossing this case to a jury.

The prosecutor also has no interest in backing down, and dropping the charges.

He's in a no win situation here.

And meanwhile, it appears RC has reworked the area where Chloe fell, for the apparent purpose of making it safer. So there's that. I don't know what changes they've made to the observation area.

Old 02-07-2020, 07:35 AM

924 posts, read 1,677,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonmam View Post
Daily Mail is reporting that the judge has denied RC's Motion to Dismiss and the civil case will proceed to trial. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...d-lawsuit.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Motions to dismiss are rarely granted. I suspect this one mostly served as RCL's way to get their side of the story public without sounding like unfeeling ghouls in a press release. Pretty clever move, actually.
I agree, rarely granted. Also agree with your theory because I just read that the judge is allowing RC to refile the Motion to Dismiss as long as they confine it to the four corners of the Complaint.

Old 02-07-2020, 08:08 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Yes, he did. And prosecutors will offer sweetheart deals like that to save their own face. The prosecutor, I'm certain, has zero interest putting a blubbering broken grandpa on the stand and tossing this case to a jury.

The prosecutor also has no interest in backing down, and dropping the charges.

He's in a no win situation here.

And meanwhile, it appears RC has reworked the area where Chloe fell, for the apparent purpose of making it safer. So there's that. I don't know what changes they've made to the observation area.
how can they make it safer? Keep OLD 51 year old guys and 2 year olds out of the area?

Old 02-07-2020, 08:09 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
how can they make it safer? Keep OLD 51 year old guys and 2 year olds out of the area?
Beats me. All I know is what I've read - that they're redoing (or have redone) the area where Chloe fell through the window.

This would be a question for the cruiseline, not for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events