Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2020, 09:37 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Well at least they are doing one thing right. He wouldn't stand a chance with a jury trial. But I doubt he will have a much better chance with a judge.
Worth remembering that the defense lawyer for the grandfather isn't the same person as the shyster doing PR and civil suit for the parents.

Sounds like the defense lawyer is acting in his clients best interest after discovery - as in "The DA's evidence is incriminating as all out, you haven't shown a whole lot of remorse, and there's a good chance a jury will throw the book at you. Judges are less likely to let emotions influence them."

ETA: Or - just read what JerseyGirl415 said.

Old 02-25-2020, 10:11 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Worth remembering that the defense lawyer for the grandfather isn't the same person as the shyster doing PR and civil suit for the parents.

Sounds like the defense lawyer is acting in his clients best interest after discovery - as in "The DA's evidence is incriminating as all out, you haven't shown a whole lot of remorse, and there's a good chance a jury will throw the book at you. Judges are less likely to let emotions influence them."

ETA: Or - just read what JerseyGirl415 said.
I think in practice, you go before a judge instead of a jury when the evidence is faulty or scant, but the emotional impact of the alleged crime is high.

Judges tend to look carefully at the evidence, and aren't as persuaded by the image of that darling little girl who is now dead.

Old 02-25-2020, 10:56 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Yes, he’s definitely afraid of the jury having a more emotional response. Most people WANT a jury trial because convincing 6-12 regular people that someone is guilty by the criminal standard (beyond a reasonable doubt) can be rather difficult and people also expect juries to react on emotion more than judges. To many it’s worth taking the gamble on a jury trial rather than no trial (a plea) or bench trial. So that he is NOT looking for a jury trial is very interesting imo, it’s like he knows the whole situation looks bad, he’s just trying desperately to avoid the consequences.
Well, yes. I think everyone knows the situation looks bad.

What he's aiming for, I believe, is to be able to demonstrate to someone who is very practiced in looking at the facts and applying the letter of the law, not just realizing something looks bad.

If he were trying "desperately" to avoid the consequences, he would have taken the offer by the prosecutor to basically admit he was at fault and suffer very few consequences. That he did not do that, is very telling.

Old 02-25-2020, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
If he were trying "desperately" to avoid the consequences, he would have taken the offer by the prosecutor to basically admit he was at fault and suffer very few consequences.
Would have gotten in the way of the civil lawsuit. As I said, they have put him in a very cruel spot.

Old 02-25-2020, 02:52 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Well, yes. I think everyone knows the situation looks bad.

What he's aiming for, I believe, is to be able to demonstrate to someone who is very practiced in looking at the facts and applying the letter of the law, not just realizing something looks bad.

If he were trying "desperately" to avoid the consequences, he would have taken the offer by the prosecutor to basically admit he was at fault and suffer very few consequences. That he did not do that, is very telling.
Yes, your second paragraph is basically what I said.

When you plea, you have to set a factual basis where you admit on the record that you committed whatever crime you’re pleading to, with specific facts. A plea would mean he admits guilt to everyone and himself. I don’t think he emotionally is capable of doing that and I don’t think the family is capable of hearing it. I also think he really thinks he was not negligent. He’s trying to get off entirely by going to trial.

Old 02-25-2020, 04:31 PM

6,452 posts, read 9,814,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Yes, your second paragraph is basically what I said.

When you plea, you have to set a factual basis where you admit on the record that you committed whatever crime you’re pleading to, with specific facts. A plea would mean he admits guilt to everyone and himself. I don’t think he emotionally is capable of doing that and I don’t think the family is capable of hearing it. I also think he really thinks he was not negligent. He’s trying to get off entirely by going to trial.
If he had pled guilty and only gotten probation, I think that would fair to everyone involved.

Now that this is going to trial, I hope he gets some jail time out of this, even if its only a few days. Hate me if you want.

Old 02-25-2020, 05:48 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
I think in practice, you go before a judge instead of a jury when the evidence is faulty or scant, but the emotional impact of the alleged crime is high.

Judges tend to look carefully at the evidence, and aren't as persuaded by the image of that darling little girl who is now dead.
I agree. If I was not guilty of a crime, I would want to have a trial by judge, as long as the judge is known to be a fair judge. Because I would want to know that an educated person who understands the law would be looking at the evidence. On the other hand, if I was guilty, I would just want to gamble on a jury, and hopefully get 12 totally different types of people, who can't agree on anything.

But in this case, I just don't see how the evidence could be faulty or scant. The videos are incriminating. It seems to me that there is about a 99% chance he will be convicted, regardless of it being a judge or a jury. But I guess in this day and age, it's expecting too much for somebody to just plead guilty.

Old 02-25-2020, 08:10 PM

185 posts, read 134,218 times
I just read that Anello intends to accept the plea deal. I suspect he was advised that there was a high chance he would be found guilty.

Per the article the family still intends to pursue the lawsuit to protect children from falling from windows. It still makes no sense to me their focus on the window. The window was out of reach behind a high safety railing. You cannot get anymore safe than that. I still hope RC fights to the bitter end and does not settle.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...jF5?li=BBnbcA1

Old 02-25-2020, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miasth View Post
I just read that Anello intends to accept the plea deal. I suspect he was advised that there was a high chance he would be found guilty.

Per the article the family still intends to pursue the lawsuit to protect children from falling from windows. It still makes no sense to me their focus on the window. The window was out of reach behind a high safety railing. You cannot get anymore safe than that. I still hope RC fights to the bitter end and does not settle.

Yep, filed a motion to change his plea to "Guilty". Guess reality sunk in.

Old 02-25-2020, 08:25 PM

14,310 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasth View Post

I suppose it's too much to expect the parents not to be insistent about the windows. They're ignoring the fact that she was perfectly safe until an adult recklessly lifted her into danger, but after all, it is true that if the windows didn't open, their daughter would still be alive.

I also hope they lose that case. It simply isn't true, as the mother said in your link, that there is no reason for windows on a cruise ship to open. If people want to be in a big building with no fresh air, they might as well stay in a hotel and forget going on a ship. And what to do with the balconies and other areas of the ship that are not fully and permanently enclosed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events