Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2020, 08:48 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miasth View Post
I just read that Anello intends to accept the plea deal. I suspect he was advised that there was a high chance he would be found guilty.

Per the article the family still intends to pursue the lawsuit to protect children from falling from windows. It still makes no sense to me their focus on the window. The window was out of reach behind a high safety railing. You cannot get anymore safe than that. I still hope RC fights to the bitter end and does not settle.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...jF5?li=BBnbcA1
I think it's unfortunate that he is not going to serve at least a token amount of jail time. But I guess not surprising, since the family is on his side. If it had been somebody else's child that he picked up and dropped out the window, under the same circumstances, I think he would be looking at some prison time.

Old 02-25-2020, 08:59 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
I still hope RC fights to the bitter end and does not settle.
This latest event definitely came out in their favor.

Old 02-25-2020, 09:25 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
This latest event definitely came out in their favor.
I don't think it really makes much difference one way or the other. Criminal and civil cases are completely separate. Look at cops, 99% of the time they are found not guilty of murder, and 99% of the time the city government settles with the victim's families for a large amount of money anyway. Grandpa could be convicted and the family could still win a lawsuit against Royal Caribbean. Grandpa could be acquitted and the family could still lose their lawsuit. But in this case I'm pretty sure that grandpa will be found guilty, and the family will get nothing. Only one person was responsible for this girl's death.

Old 02-25-2020, 09:27 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,623 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Interestingly, this is the CIVIL attorney representing the family's lawsuit against the cruise line who has made this announcement, not the criminal defense attorney for the grandpa, who made the statement yesterday that he would not plea. For what it's worth.

Grandpa's attorney YESTERDAY said he will not accept a plea deal:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nch-trial.html

Interesting to see where this goes.

Old 02-25-2020, 09:44 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
The DM can be kind of sleazy but they come up with the stories first and then others follow.
Same with the Enquirer. They have been the first to break a lot of stories, including Tiger Woods' and John Edwards' affairs.

Old 02-25-2020, 09:44 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
I just read that Anello intends to accept the plea deal. I suspect he was advised that there was a high chance he would be found guilty.

Per the article the family still intends to pursue the lawsuit to protect children from falling from windows. It still makes no sense to me their focus on the window. The window was out of reach behind a high safety railing. You cannot get anymore safe than that. I still hope RC fights to the bitter end and does not settle.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...jF5?li=BBnbcA1
Lol, I guess they still do not understand the protection is there, and he violated that protection.

Some people are really dense.

Old 02-25-2020, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Interestingly, this is the CIVIL attorney representing the family's lawsuit against the cruise line who has made this announcement, not the criminal defense attorney for the grandpa, who made the statement yesterday that he would not plea. For what it's worth.

Grandpa's attorney YESTERDAY said he will not accept a plea deal:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nch-trial.html

Interesting to see where this goes.
The Washington Post is also reporting that he is accepting a plea deal and that change of plea motion was filed today (Tuesday).

Old 02-25-2020, 09:58 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
He's pleading GUILTY.

"The grandfather of the 18-month-old girl who fell to her death from an open window on a Royal Caribbean cruise ship in San Juan, Puerto Rico, will plead guilty in her death, a family attorney said Tuesday."
Winkleman said the deal "is in the best interests of the family so that they can close this horrible chapter and turn their focus to mourning Chloe." A hearing date for the change of plea has yet to be determined.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...y-her-n1142981

Last edited by ChessieMom; 02-25-2020 at 10:07 PM..

Old 02-25-2020, 09:58 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Same with the Enquirer. They have been the first to break a lot of stories, including Tiger Woods' and John Edwards' affairs.
That's because the primary concern of legit journalism isn't about the bad behavior of celebrities. That's for the tabloids, like DM and the Enquirer.

Old 02-25-2020, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
That's because the primary concern of legit journalism isn't about the bad behavior of celebrities. That's for the tabloids, like DM and the Enquirer.
If other news sources had had that information, they would have published it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events