Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2020, 10:40 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
But then she would have been in the space between the railing and the window, and with her feet dangling, she would not have had anything to leverage herself forward, if he dropped her it would have been down in the space between the railing and window.
People are overanalyzing this. I think the grandfather told a number of untruths and/or halftruths about what happened, but it seems very likely that the very last thing that happened at that window was exactly what he said: he moved her forward (and she leaned forward) to "tap on the glass" (or look out the window, if he knew it was open).

Chloe could have been sitting on the railing or held at his chest for most of the 30+ seconds they were standing there, but at the end, there was a sudden forward thrust on his part and probably on her part as well. Really, that's the only thing that makes sense. He wasn't holding her at arm's length all that time, and she wasn't reaching out for nonexistent glass for over 30 seconds. That happened in a flash right before she fell, and is why he could say "I lifted her up, and in an instant she was gone" and have it be sort of true, at least in his mind. Until those last seconds, she was probably in a reasonably secure position. He lifted her from wherever she had been, moved her toward the window, and in an instant she fell out.

Old 03-04-2020, 10:42 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,252,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
People are overanalyzing this. I think the grandfather told a number of untruths and/or halftruths about what happened, but it seems very likely that the very last thing that happened at that window was exactly what he said: he moved her forward (and she leaned forward) to "tap on the glass" (or look out the window, if he knew it was open).

Chloe could have been sitting on the railing or held at his chest for most of the 30+ seconds they were standing there, but at the end, there was a sudden forward thrust on his part and probably on her part as well. Really, that's the only thing that makes sense. He wasn't holding her at arm's length all that time, and she wasn't reaching out for nonexistent glass for over 30 seconds. That happened in a flash right before she fell, and is why he could say "I lifted her up, and in an instant she was gone" and have it be sort of true, at least in his mind. Until those last seconds, she was probably in a reasonably secure position. He lifted her from wherever she had been, moved her toward the window, and in an instant she fell out.
Thank you.

Old 03-04-2020, 10:42 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,283,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit
Well, this thread sure has jumped the shark.
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
No, people are in denial that people are either A) Really that stupid or B) Knowingly killed their grand daughter. It's called being an Ostrich...
I'm thinking you might not know what "jumped the shark" means. It's at least jumped it for me anyway.

Old 03-04-2020, 11:04 AM

130,170 posts, read 12,088,000 times
It is a tragedy for a child to lose their life, in such a freak way.

Old 03-04-2020, 11:22 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,869,107 times
Quote:

The video doesn't show her sitting on the railing or being held at his chest for most of the 30+ seconds.

Old 03-04-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
The video doesn't show her sitting on the railing or being held at his chest for most of the 30+ seconds.
It's true, you can't see her for most of that time. My pet opinion is that she had her feet on the windowsill and he was leaning over holding her at the chest. That position would require a minimum of forward momentum from both of them to send her tumbling out. But there's no way from the current videos to tell for sure. One thing I am pretty sure of is that she was not being held actually outside the plane of the window for any length of time, and I'm basing that on the demeanor of the grandfather. He acted recklessly and like a fool, but not the kind who would endanger the child's life by deliberately putting her outside a window 11 stories up.

Old 03-04-2020, 03:13 PM

Quote:
It's true, you can't see her for most of that time. My pet opinion is that she had her feet on the windowsill and he was leaning over holding her at the chest. That position would require a minimum of forward momentum from both of them to send her tumbling out. But there's no way from the current videos to tell for sure. One thing I am pretty sure of is that she was not being held actually outside the plane of the window for any length of time, and I'm basing that on the demeanor of the grandfather. He acted recklessly and like a fool, but not the kind who would endanger the child's life by deliberately putting her outside a window 11 stories up.
Your pet opinion then requires that he knew the window was open. Her feet on the windowsill.

I think the video is useful because it shows the railing the entire time.

Old 03-04-2020, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Your pet opinion then requires that he knew the window was open. Her feet on the windowsill.
I don't see how that follows. The windowsill extended several inches on either side of the glass. You could put a small child's feet on the windowsill of a closed window, and hold her body leaning back against you, without her contacting glass. If you're as oblivious as this grandpa was, it might not even dawn on you that the window was actually open.

Old 03-04-2020, 03:40 PM

Quote:
I don't see how that follows. The windowsill extended several inches on either side of the glass. You could put a small child's feet on the windowsill of a closed window, and hold her body leaning back against you, without her contacting glass. If you're as oblivious as this grandpa was, it might not even dawn on you that the window was actually open.
I don't think her body was leaning back against the grandfather. We may not have video showing the detail at the window itself, but the video has a constant footage of the railing, and of the grandfather leaning against that rail. The child isn't leaning against him, she's beyond the railing.

Old 03-04-2020, 07:36 PM

Quote:
I don't think her body was leaning back against the grandfather. We may not have video showing the detail at the window itself, but the video has a constant footage of the railing, and of the grandfather leaning against that rail. The child isn't leaning against him, she's beyond the railing.
From that angle, you can't see enough to determine where she was. All you can really see for most of the time is part of his side. The footage doesn't preclude her leaning against him, standing or sitting on the sill, leaning against him or the railing, being entirely held by him--or dangling out the window, for that matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events