Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2020, 09:17 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,410,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I have searched twitter and other places to see if anyone posted anything as it was happening. If they did, I haven't found it or it has been deleted. I'm sure people were instructed by law enforcement or attorneys or someone not to make any public statements, because you're right - no one has said anything!

I heard, too, though, that he dropped to the floor and said "I thought there was glass! I thought there was glass!"

I don't understand people who want to demonize the grandfather as if what he did is a personal affront to them. Yes, he made a mistake. He did something stupid. That poor baby died as a result. I feel sorry for her, I feel sorry for him, I feel sorry for her parents and the rest of the family. I think they should drop the lawsuit against Royal Caribbean because they did nothing wrong.

Another thing I have seen in researching old articles is that the window they were at is not really in the play area. It is 40 feet from the play area and next to a bar. So the family's assertion that it was in a children's area isn't really valid.
Demonized because of his actions after. He wants to blame everyone but himself. He expresses nothing but blame.

Old 03-11-2020, 10:09 AM

6,450 posts, read 9,810,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Demonized because of his actions after. He wants to blame everyone but himself. He expresses nothing but blame.

That!!! Plus suing RC like it is their fault! Thats why I have an issue with him.

Old 03-11-2020, 10:21 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times
He's been told what to say by the parents and their lawyer. His immediate statements "I thought there was glass" and "I dropped my baby" are tantamount to saying "I was stupid for not noticing the window was open and not making sure the child was secure." He knows he was at fault. And he's never tried to justify lifting the child up over the railing, that I know of.

But once it became plain that there was going to be a lawsuit, he started saying completely different things like "I just want them to fix the boat." Because, you know, having an open window makes the ship "broken" and puts all the blame on the cruise line. He has to say that, because otherwise, the parents don't have a case.

Last edited by saibot; 03-11-2020 at 10:53 AM..

Old 03-11-2020, 04:08 PM

22,331 posts, read 29,421,443 times
These are cold hard facts in this case. Indisputable video evidence. Yet people still want to believe GF didn’t know what he was doing. Must be the same people hoarding toilet paper

Old 03-11-2020, 04:48 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,622 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
These are cold hard facts in this case. Indisputable video evidence. Yet people still want to believe GF didn’t know what he was doing. Must be the same people hoarding toilet paper
That would be an interesting poll.

I take the opposite hypothesis.

There are posters here, who are saying it's possible (although unlikely and a little unbelievable) that Grandpa didn't know the window was open. But still possible. And they really would like to see the video the defense is alluding that they have, and their side of the story. Because, we want all the facts, although this does seem like an odd case.

Vs.

The posters who want him imprisoned for the rest of his life, or thrown out the window, and think he's evil and some have proposed he purposely threw the child out the window so he would be relieved of child care duty on the cruise.

So. How do the posters posting here, with those two positions on this case, feel about the corona virus, how afraid are they, and what steps have they/will they take to avoid the virus?

I'll go first. I think we're absolutely running around like headless chickens afraid of our own shadows. I have done absolutely nothing whatsoever to avoid the virus except I'm more conscious of touching my face, and I wash my hands about 20% longer than I used to. Make sure I have enough soap to cover. That's it. I don't fear it if I get it, and I think people who are buying toilet paper are selfish b***rds, and those who are buying up all the hand sanitizer aren't even recognizing that if they're so paranoid, they need to leave enough for others to use too, so they won't get this virus.

I'll be really angry if my upcoming trip to Florida gets cancelled by all this hysteria. And I was shocked enough at the grocery store yesterday, at the bare aisle where the toilet paper should be, that I took a pic and sent it to friends.

Edited to add: I realize this may be following you in dragging this thread off-course, and I don't want to be accused of helping you do that. I just wanted to show you how very totally and completely wrong you are with your completely unsupported "guess".

Last edited by ClaraC; 03-11-2020 at 05:00 PM..

Old 03-11-2020, 08:41 PM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
That would be an interesting poll.

I take the opposite hypothesis.

There are posters here, who are saying it's possible (although unlikely and a little unbelievable) that Grandpa didn't know the window was open. But still possible. And they really would like to see the video the defense is alluding that they have, and their side of the story. Because, we want all the facts, although this does seem like an odd case.

Vs.

The posters who want him imprisoned for the rest of his life, or thrown out the window, and think he's evil and some have proposed he purposely threw the child out the window so he would be relieved of child care duty on the cruise.

So. How do the posters posting here, with those two positions on this case, feel about the corona virus, how afraid are they, and what steps have they/will they take to avoid the virus?

I'll go first. I think we're absolutely running around like headless chickens afraid of our own shadows. I have done absolutely nothing whatsoever to avoid the virus except I'm more conscious of touching my face, and I wash my hands about 20% longer than I used to. Make sure I have enough soap to cover. That's it. I don't fear it if I get it, and I think people who are buying toilet paper are selfish b***rds, and those who are buying up all the hand sanitizer aren't even recognizing that if they're so paranoid, they need to leave enough for others to use too, so they won't get this virus.

I'll be really angry if my upcoming trip to Florida gets cancelled by all this hysteria. And I was shocked enough at the grocery store yesterday, at the bare aisle where the toilet paper should be, that I took a pic and sent it to friends.

Edited to add: I realize this may be following you in dragging this thread off-course, and I don't want to be accused of helping you do that. I just wanted to show you how very totally and completely wrong you are with your completely unsupported "guess".
I fall into neither of your categories.

I believe that Gramps was aware of the open window, and made a foolish decision to hold Chloe up near (or standing on) the window and lost his grip on her. Not that it is "possible", but that it is absolutely the case, unless Gramps has a mental condition that is being hidden.

I certainly don't want him imprisoned for the rest of his life, or thrown out the window. There is nothing that would punish him worse than his current situation.

Old 03-12-2020, 10:05 AM

2,020 posts, read 1,123,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I fall into neither of your categories.

I believe that Gramps was aware of the open window, and made a foolish decision to hold Chloe up near (or standing on) the window and lost his grip on her. Not that it is "possible", but that it is absolutely the case, unless Gramps has a mental condition that is being hidden.

I certainly don't want him imprisoned for the rest of his life, or thrown out the window. There is nothing that would punish him worse than his current situation.
Same. I believe he made a foolish and reckless decision which resulted in the death of a baby.

Old 03-12-2020, 01:50 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
Same. I believe he made a foolish and reckless decision which resulted in the death of a baby.
I think he thought there was a window there. No, he shouldn't have had her on or in front of the railing. But I don't think he did so knowing there was an open window.

Old 03-12-2020, 02:19 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,123,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I think he thought there was a window there. No, he shouldn't have had her on or in front of the railing. But I don't think he did so knowing there was an open window.
He must be seriously deficient in his senses of depth perception, touch, smell, sight, and hearing then. An open window in that area of the cruise ship is very obvious. Mistaking a closed window for an open window is a slight possibility, but an open window for a closed one - nope.

Old 03-12-2020, 05:57 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
That!!! Plus suing RC like it is their fault! Thats why I have an issue with him.
I'm from Indiana and it was all over our local news. They showed the boat and how there was a wall filled with windows, but in that specific spot where they were standing the window was missing. RC admitted they were working on replacing it and didn't. Not only that, they didn't have that area closed off because of it.

So yes, he dropped the child, but there was a reason and it was because RC was negligent, PERIOD! I highly doubt he meant to drop his own grand daughter and has to live with that the rest of his life!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events