Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2019, 10:34 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Police aren't the ones who decide if charges will be filed, but let's skip past that.

Prosecutors often take into account whether a person is remorseful, whether their life is seemingly ruined already. The prosecution would certainly take into account whether the family would actually stand to profit monetarily from this tragedy, and wouldn't be corrupt in saying, "this little girl's life was worth something, and through his unbelievable carelessness, she's gone. We're going to do what we can to not allow them to profit from this loss".

That's not corruption. That's just deciding to prosecute based on the attitude of the family and the defendant.
That is ridiculous. That is penalizing the family for filing a lawsuit. The grandfather would not collect money from the lawsuit, the parents of the little girl would. Do not believe for a second that prosecutors do such a thing as a regular course of deciding charges. So you are actually saying that you think if the parents weren’t suing then charges wouldn’t have been filed??

Winning a wrongful death law suit would not be considered “profiting” from the death of their daughter in any legal sense in any case.

Old 10-29-2019, 11:02 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
That is ridiculous. That is penalizing the family for filing a lawsuit. The grandfather would not collect money from the lawsuit, the parents of the little girl would. Do not believe for a second that prosecutors do such a thing as a regular course of deciding charges. So you are actually saying that you think if the parents weren’t suing then charges wouldn’t have been filed??

Winning a wrongful death law suit would not be considered “profiting” from the death of their daughter in any legal sense in any case.
I don't agree with it, I just understand it.

And yes, I do believe prosecutors regularly assess an accused's remorse when deciding whether to file charges.

And yes, I think it's possible if the parents didn't come out immediately with a lawsuit maybe charges wouldn't be filed.

I don't think he should be charged with anything at all. And on the other hand, I don't think the family should sue RCC.

Although I 100% believe he didn't notice the window was open, i don't think it's a general problem, or a failure on the part of RCC. It was a massive failure of grandpa's powers of observation. But an accident.

Old 10-29-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:

And yes, I do believe prosecutors regularly assess an accused's remorse when deciding whether to file charges.

And yes, I think it's possible if the parents didn't come out immediately with a lawsuit maybe charges wouldn't be filed.

I don't think he should be charged with anything at all. And on the other hand, I don't think the family should sue RCC.

Although I 100% believe he didn't notice the window was open, i don't think it's a general problem, or a failure on the part of RCC. It was a massive failure of grandpa's powers of observation. But an accident.
Remorse is a very different thing. I’m quite sure the grandfather is traumatized for life by this. He love that little girl. Whether they should or shouldn’t sue, I do not understand the attitude that wants to see this family who has suffered pain beyond comprehension, taken to the mat simply because they’re suing.

Old 10-29-2019, 11:51 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
I never stated I was rooting for them to win their lawsuit. Are you saying the grandfather should be charged because the family is suing the cruise line? Like in a “serves them right” kind of way?? Yes justice by vindictiveness that always works out well.
Hardly. My point is that you seem to be Ok with the family trying to place blame and collect compensation, but you think it's wrong for anyone to point blame towards the grandfather. In other words it's only ok if the blame is directed towards one party but not at the other. How is that just?

Old 10-29-2019, 11:55 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Remorse is a very different thing. I’m quite sure the grandfather is traumatized for life by this. He love that little girl. Whether they should or shouldn’t sue, I do not understand the attitude that wants to see this family who has suffered pain beyond comprehension, taken to the mat simply because they’re suing.
Then we're in complete agreement.

Old 10-29-2019, 12:03 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:

So in other words, his negligent actions caused this "accident". It seems like he's getting charged with exactly the right crimes then.

Old 10-29-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Hardly. My point is that you seem to be Ok with the family trying to place blame and collect compensation, but you think it's wrong for anyone to point blame towards the grandfather. In other words it's only ok if the blame is directed towards one party but not at the other. How is that just?
Don’t think they’re connected. Royal Caribbean is well capable of defending themselves. Whether there right or whether they’re wrong, these parents believe they can make a difference for other families in the future. They feel like they need to do something so they’re doing it. It has nothing to do with whether the grandfather should be charged with a crime. The fact that people are conflating this just has me baffled. It’s like people feel the family needs to be punished just for doing this. Lack of compassion is astounding.

Old 10-29-2019, 01:49 PM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
So you are trying to conflate the civil lawsuit with criminal charges. Any government entity that charges someone criminally based on a civil lawsuit is corrupt. Again it is the “serves them right“ justification in your mind. It’s not how our criminal justice system works, nor should it. Do you believe that if they weren’t suing Royal Caribbean the grandfather would not be being charged?
Stop insinuating that you know "how I think". You do it often on this forum.

It is you that is being obtuse about this issue.

Old 10-29-2019, 01:50 PM

22,331 posts, read 29,421,443 times
I have compassion for the family. It's a horrible situation but it's no one's but the grandfathers fault. How is a lawsuit going to change the incompetence of their father???

Old 10-29-2019, 01:52 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

If the parent had set the baby down, would they have charged the parent?
Yes.

Parents who legitimately forget their child in the back of a hot car are usually charged with manslaughter, which in some states is the same thing as negligent homicide.

Their negligence caused a child's death, and that is a punishable offense here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events