Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2019, 07:23 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,069,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPuss View Post
If they sue, the defense attorneys are going to have a heyday with this family. It will be open season, and they will leave no stone unturned. The family will literally be gutted, and what will remain will, in all likelihood, be fractured relationships and no closure.

They should think long and hard about suing Royal Caribbean, which, IMO, has absolutely no fault in this tragedy.
Yes, I completely agree. They have video. RC has a record of every alcohol purchase made on board. Their finances will be scrutinized. Their relationships with each other will be scrutinized. And possibly twisted.

None of it will bring back their daughter. Maybe they want someone to blame, but it some ways it looks like a cash grab.

I have been on this particular ship, as well as her sister ship. These are not "windows" like people are used to in a house. They are panels that slide open and closed. They are also tilted at an angle to reduce the risk of falling through them. And in addition to that there are railings in front of them. They are tinted, so you would never confuse them with clear glass.

A difficulty here is that the whole ship can be dangerous for a child of that age. Almost all of the public decks, from deck 4 and up, are open air. The interior of the ship features multi-story spaces. If the family had a balcony cabin, that is another risk. A fall from any of those places could have killed a small child. To state the obvious, these are not ideal environments to bring a child of that age. Heck, a little kid could be walking on the dock TO the ship, and fall and get severely hurt.

I don't think there is anything RC could further do to prevent harm from someone choosing to take their toddler into that environment.

I do feel so sad for the family, though.

Last edited by calgirlinnc; 07-22-2019 at 08:24 PM..

Old 07-22-2019, 07:32 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
But there's nothing to settle for; no fault of their own. If they settle, it could set a precedent. That would be a bad idea. We'll have to wait and see how this plays out.
You don't understand how business works. Companies settle all the time because it's much easier and cheaper to settle for $750,000 than it is to spend $3 million fighting it, even if they win. It's done every day, just most of the cases aren't publicized.

Old 07-22-2019, 07:34 PM

7,090 posts, read 4,526,537 times
If you have been on a cruise it’s obvious when a window is open. Beyond ridiculous to blame RC.

Old 07-22-2019, 08:18 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
. My guess is, there will be something done here to cruise ship windows based on this. Maybe it will only take the form of telling new passengers what an open window looks like.
Completely ridiculous that an adult would need that explained to them.

Old 07-22-2019, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Completely ridiculous that an adult would need that explained to them.
And if you are on the ship, there is no way you could mix up open window and closed window. The windows are tinted!

So is he lying? Covering something up? Senile? Was he drunk?

Claiming he thought the open air was a tinted window just isn't logical.

Old 07-22-2019, 09:21 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,247,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
You don't understand how business works. Companies settle all the time because it's much easier and cheaper to settle for $750,000 than it is to spend $3 million fighting it, even if they win. It's done every day, just most of the cases aren't publicized.
This. Amen.

Old 07-23-2019, 05:29 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Yes, I completely agree. They have video. RC has a record of every alcohol purchase made on board. Their finances will be scrutinized. Their relationships with each other will be scrutinized. And possibly twisted.

None of it will bring back their daughter. Maybe they want someone to blame, but it some ways it looks like a cash grab.

I have been on this particular ship, as well as her sister ship. These are not "windows" like people are used to in a house. They are panels that slide open and closed. They are also tilted at an angle to reduce the risk of falling through them. And in addition to that there are railings in front of them. They are tinted, so you would never confuse them with clear glass.

A difficulty here is that the whole ship can be dangerous for a child of that age. Almost all of the public decks, from deck 4 and up, are open air. The interior of the ship features multi-story spaces. If the family had a balcony cabin, that is another risk. A fall from any of those places could have killed a small child. To state the obvious, these are not ideal environments to bring a child of that age. Heck, a little kid could be walking on the dock TO the ship, and fall and get severely hurt.

I don't think there is anything RC could further do to prevent harm from someone choosing to take their toddler into that environment.

I do feel so sad for the family, though.
Well, there is still the question of why RC refuses to turn over the video to the attorney. If what actually happened as shown in the video and it exonerates them then why are they sitting on it?

Old 07-23-2019, 06:28 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,349,573 times
I strongly object to anyone even hinting that the motive behind a lawsuit might be a "cash grab".

NO amount of money is worth the loss of a beloved child, as far as a parent is concerned. (And it is very obvious that the family is grieving and, I strongly believe, would not mind living in terrible poverty if they could have Chloe alive and well.)

I do, however, think that they are looking for someone to blame other than the grandfather, and I don't blame them for that; and I also think that they truly do not want this tragedy to happen to any other family.

Old 07-23-2019, 06:59 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Well, there is still the question of why RC refuses to turn over the video to the attorney. If what actually happened as shown in the video and it exonerates them then why are they sitting on it?
So I have a question.

What do you think it will show, that they don't want shown? I guess there's a very outside chance that somehow, due to lighting or something else, at that time it actually is difficult to see that the window is open.

I think more likely, no one from RC wants the public to see a baby fall to their death on a cruise ship and the family screaming in despair. You can't unsee that and wouldn't make families with little ones line up to get on that ship.

The saying "no publicity is bad publicity" doesn't apply here.

Old 07-23-2019, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I strongly object to anyone even hinting that the motive behind a lawsuit might be a "cash grab".

NO amount of money is worth the loss of a beloved child, as far as a parent is concerned. (And it is very obvious that the family is grieving and, I strongly believe, would not mind living in terrible poverty if they could have Chloe alive and well.)

I do, however, think that they are looking for someone to blame other than the grandfather, and I don't blame them for that; and I also think that they truly do not want this tragedy to happen to any other family.
Of course it's tragic and of course it's horrible. I would not wish it on anyone. Of course no amount of money can bring their daughter back. That's why it could possibly *look* bad to pursue a law suit if they in fact do so.

But also this tragedy was avoidable. I have been on 4 cruises. I have never seen anyone hold a young child on top of a railing like that. This is pure common sense. How does suing RC instill common sense in anyone? It would be different if there were a safety measure that failed, or if the accident happened in a way most people wouldn't think to consider.

All I'm saying is that I can see both sides of the story; if there were to be a trial (which is what the posts were about), both sides would be thoroughly investigated. That's all.

Last edited by calgirlinnc; 07-23-2019 at 08:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events