Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2019, 10:41 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,621 posts, read 17,953,728 times

Advertisements

That was very hard to watch without crying. Awful, awful story.

So. What is the standard of safety? It seems to me, windows aren't typically open in high rise buildings. I know sometimes you can go to a penthouse on top of a building, and there is an open air railing, but it's not a WINDOW that's open.

And yes, actually, this is a child's play area although obviously adults are there too.

Old 07-22-2019, 10:59 AM

7,090 posts, read 4,526,537 times
It’s definitely not the cruise lines fault. I have been on those ships. Focusing on RC is letting them focus their grief elsewhere and will hold the family together for awhile until they have to hear what the opposing counsel has to say. They are hurting themselves more in the long run with this ridiculous lawsuit.

Old 07-22-2019, 11:03 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,621 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
It’s definitely not the cruise lines fault. I have been on those ships. Focusing on RC is letting them focus their grief elsewhere and will hold the family together for awhile until they have to hear what the opposing counsel has to say. They are hurting themselves more in the long run with this ridiculous lawsuit.
Have they filed a lawsuit?

Old 07-22-2019, 11:16 AM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
That was very hard to watch without crying. Awful, awful story.

So. What is the standard of safety? It seems to me, windows aren't typically open in high rise buildings. I know sometimes you can go to a penthouse on top of a building, and there is an open air railing, but it's not a WINDOW that's open.

And yes, actually, this is a child's play area although obviously adults are there too.
Obviously. And it seems, that it's the adults who are the risk, not the children. The area was child-proofed. Tragically, it was not adult-proofed, and a toddler paid the price.

Old 07-22-2019, 11:23 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Obviously. And it seems, that it's the adults who are the risk, not the children. The area was child-proofed. Tragically, it was not adult-proofed, and a toddler paid the price.
Absolutely correct. It was a tragedy, but a preventable tragedy. Not the ship's fault.

Can passengers open windows, or does only crew do that?

Old 07-22-2019, 11:25 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,353,220 times
I was very disturbed by the interview.

First, because the mother said that she actually looked down to the concrete (where, I think, she saw her daughter's body). I simply cannot imagine anything more terrible than that unless hearing the screams of your child as s/he is dying a very painful death.

Second, I was so put off by the interviewer! Of course, I realize that reporters must be professional and keep a distance to some extent, but the reporter, imo, showed only about one second of any emotion whatsoever. She, imo, came across as completely cold and heartless. I just don't know how anyone could react (or, rather, not react) to a mother who had experienced that tragedy.

Old 07-22-2019, 11:53 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPuss View Post
If they sue, the defense attorneys are going to have a heyday with this family. It will be open season, and they will leave no stone unturned. The family will literally be gutted, and what will remain will, in all likelihood, be fractured relationships and no closure.

They should think long and hard about suing Royal Caribbean, which, IMO, has absolutely no fault in this tragedy.
No they won't. They sill settle because it will cost them less money in the long run.

Old 07-22-2019, 11:53 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
I will never understand why people who suffer through a tragedy like this, go on talk shows. I would not want to be in the public eye, for all the negative comments that are made about my family.....Are they looking for a pay out? It seems it was Grampa`s fault....
See post 418, it's about trying to garner public sympathy and outrage. And there will be people who buy into it. Hopefully not on a jury, if it get's that far.

Old 07-22-2019, 11:54 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Can passengers open windows, or does only crew do that?
Yes, passengers can open the windows.

Old 07-22-2019, 12:03 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
No they won't. They sill settle because it will cost them less money in the long run.
But there's nothing to settle for; no fault of their own. If they settle, it could set a precedent. That would be a bad idea. We'll have to wait and see how this plays out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events