Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2019, 01:54 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I have compassion for the family. It's a horrible situation but it's no one's but the grandfathers fault. How is a lawsuit going to change the incompetence of their father???
It won't. But it will make the family *feel* better, because there is absolutely nothing they can do to change what happened. It's an absurd lawsuit, and the family would be much better off (emotionally, I believe) to just stop trying to assign blame elsewhere and move on. A sad sad thing - and I feel horrible for the grandfather.

Old 10-29-2019, 02:13 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,627 posts, read 17,953,728 times
The family has not yet filed a lawsuit, according to their lawyer.

So we don't know specifically what the lawsuit will ask for.

Usually when a family loses a child they want changes made - whether they create an Amber or Levi Alert, distribute bit orange flags to children on bikes, develop a TV show that helps fight crime, etc., they want the loss of their child to make a change, to not be in vain.

So maybe the family will only ask that the windows be closed, or that only the upper windows on the deck that are unreachable be open?

https://fox59.com/2019/10/28/grandfa...gent-homicide/

Old 10-29-2019, 02:29 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,998,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Don’t think they’re connected. Royal Caribbean is well capable of defending themselves. Whether there right or whether they’re wrong, these parents believe they can make a difference for other families in the future. They feel like they need to do something so they’re doing it.
I'll only believe this if they don't ask for money. If it's just for changes, then that's understandable.

I dont think the grandpa should be charged but I do think he should be held responsible in some way. Even if it's just investigators saying he was at fault but no charges would be filed due to the circumstances. It's irksome that he and the family continue to deny any responsibility, and I think that's why many people think he should be charged.

Old 10-29-2019, 02:41 PM

22,333 posts, read 29,421,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
The family has not yet filed a lawsuit, according to their lawyer.

So we don't know specifically what the lawsuit will ask for.

Usually when a family loses a child they want changes made - whether they create an Amber or Levi Alert, distribute bit orange flags to children on bikes, develop a TV show that helps fight crime, etc., they want the loss of their child to make a change, to not be in vain.

So maybe the family will only ask that the windows be closed, or that only the upper windows on the deck that are unreachable be open?

https://fox59.com/2019/10/28/grandfa...gent-homicide/
The windows are unreachable for toddlers. The grandfather placed her on the ledge and she fell off. He is at fault period.

You cannot close those windows. You'll have a sauna occur. Be responsible adults for children in your care and this won't happen again

Old 10-29-2019, 03:12 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I wonder if he will live long enough to see this case work its way through the criminal and civil courts.

I agree, heartbreak like this often kills people, literally.
This is what I suspect. Throwing him in jail serves no purpose that I can see, and putting the family through a long legal process just prolongs their agony. But, from the little I have read about this, I cannot completely blame the cruise line either. To me this just seems like a terrible accident.

Old 10-29-2019, 03:21 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
This is what I suspect. Throwing him in jail serves no purpose that I can see, and putting the family through a long legal process just prolongs their agony. But, from the little I have read about this, I cannot completely blame the cruise line either. To me this just seems like a terrible accident.
I really doubt he’ll serve time for this.

Old 10-29-2019, 03:47 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,554,029 times
Just I don’t think parents who forget (accidentally of course) their children in hot cars, I don’t think this man should be prosecuted.

I also don’t think the Royal Caribbean is liable either.

Old 10-29-2019, 04:16 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
Just I don’t think parents who forget (accidentally of course) their children in hot cars, I don’t think this man should be prosecuted.
OK. What about the person who puts their child in the tub, starts the water running and dashes off to answer the phone when it rings? Child drowns.

Is that an accident, too, if the result is entirely predictable?

Quote:
I also don’t think the Royal Caribbean is liable either.
We agree on that. Pity there's no way to pre-screen passengers for stupidity during the boarding process.

Old 10-29-2019, 08:29 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
OK. What about the person who puts their child in the tub, starts the water running and dashes off to answer the phone when it rings? Child drowns.

Is that an accident, too, if the result is entirely predictable?

We agree on that. Pity there's no way to pre-screen passengers for stupidity during the boarding process.
I don’t think this accident is like your example.

Old 10-29-2019, 08:40 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,160,449 times
I was thinking maybe something is wrong with the grandfather's eyes? He lets the baby bang on glass, but wouldn't he know that the window was opened, it is obvious when a window is open and I thought he would be holding the baby so she could bang on the glass and even if the window was open she would be hitting air but still safe in her grandfather's arms. I don't understand how this accident could have happened and I do believe it is an accident, I just think her grandfather wasn't paying attention or something is wrong with his eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events