Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2019, 12:51 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,953,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtondo View Post
This is obviously a very horrible accident. I think this is a case of an over zealous grandfather that lets his grand daughter do whatever she wants whether it's safe or not. I see people do many stupid things with kids. Think of putting a kid on a fence at a zoo so that the little darling can see better. I also think that his eyesight should be tested. I notice he wears very thick glasses.

I believe the problem here is that he is not taking responsibility for his actions. Instead he is blaming the cruise line for his mistake. If he took responsibility I wonder if he would still be charged, but it's too late for that now.
I completely agree.

I think he was trying to be a "fun grandpa", and did something that was foolish, even if there had been a window in front of him. But Facebook is FULL of memes "when dad's in charge" showing things that dads will allow or encourage the kids to do. Thankfully, the ones on facebook are funny and end fine.

I wonder also if he was wearing sunglasses that somehow confused the color tints of the windows.

I don't know.

What I just do not believe, is that he knew the window was open.

It's up for discussion whether it's wise to put a child up on a handrail, and that's all fine.

But I really can't grasp the idea that he knew the window was open and placed her in that position.

Old 10-30-2019, 01:02 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
It's up for discussion whether it's wise to put a child up on a handrail, and that's all fine.
Up for discussion? Really? When is it ever appropriate to stand a 1-year-old child on a narrow handrail? I cannot think of a single situation where that would ever be a wise decision.

Old 10-30-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
The point is it was an accident that could have been avoided. The WHOLE point is that he should have known better.

A child died because the grandfather didn't exercise proper care. That's his MAIN job as an adult caregiver, and he failed. It's not just pure accident with NO FAULT.

Like it or not, there are laws that apply to this exact situation.
Yes, I am so tired of hearing people say... "Oh, but it was just an accident...It was a mistake..." A child DIED! It should not be written off as "just an accident" as if it could happen to anyone. This goes beyond being a simple accident. This was clearly negligent behavior on the grandpa's part. An accident would be if she tripped over a chair leg while playing on the ship's deck and skinned her knee. Falling out an open window 11 stories up is not just a mistake that can happen to anyone.

Old 10-30-2019, 01:06 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Up for discussion? Really? When is it ever appropriate to stand a 1-year-old child on a narrow handrail? I cannot think of a single situation where that would ever be a wise decision.
When I said up for discussion I meant whoever wants to discuss that can. Obviously.

I'm not interested in discussing it.

But if you are, maybe someone will come along and you can fight with them.

Old 10-30-2019, 01:23 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
The attorney released that bit of information.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HKpZGem1J4&app=desktop
Looking at the windows in this video, I think it’d be easy to mistake an open window for closed. Especially with old eyes, possibly cataracts, etc. The attorney likened it to accidentally walking into a sliding glass door that you think it’s open but it’s not.

I too find it much more believable that the grandfather actually thought it was closed than that he put her there knowing it was open.

Old 10-30-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
That does not excuse him putting her on the railing! I don't understand how people aren't getting this. You don't put a child on a railing. I don't care if there is a solid brick wall right in front of them, you. don't. put. a. child. on. a. railing.

And I'm going to say this again: When you're on a cruise ship, especially 11 stories high, you KNOW the windows are open. The fricken wind is in your face that high up. You can't miss that the windows are open. In addition, as has been pointed out, there are different colors indicating that a window is open. But, most importantly, you will feel the fricken wind on your face at 11 stories high on a cruise ship, even when docked.

Again, I used to work for 2 cruise lines. I know exactly what it feels like when a window is open that high on a ship. You can't miss it.

Was he drunk? Was he on something? There is no way he could have missed that it was open. No, I do not buy his story that she "wanted to smack the glass" like she did at a hockey rink. This isn't a fricken hockey rink. Her feet are not on the solid ground. He put her on a railing. Windows or not, that is dangerous to do that to a 1 year old child, and then not to even hold her? Now I'm even more convinced that he made it up that he thought it was closed and she wanted to tap on the glass.

I think he put her up there to be able to see out the window, and he's so stupid that he a) put her up there and b) didn't even hold her. He had his arms on both sides of her - what kind of an idiot thinks that's acceptable even if there were no windows there? As I said earlier, imagine if she fell backwards? Imagine if she fell between the wall and the railing? How stupid is this person? People are trying to make excuses for his sheer stupidity - there is no excuse for it. Windows or not, putting her on a railing and not even holding her was a recipe for an accident, and a baby falling backwards onto their heads, or falling face first between a wall and a railing, or even a closed window and railing is going to injure that child. It could even kill her just with that type of fall - she was a year old.

There is no excuse for what this idiot did.
They were docked, there may not have been any breeze at all.

Old 10-30-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
window. courtesy cbs news

Another view (RC blog)

I would think it would depend on the time of day and angle of the sun whether you could tell or not. And remember he was an older person with old eyes.

Old 10-30-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
They were docked, there may not have been any breeze at all.
When you are 11 stories up on a cruise ship, there is still a breeze even when docked.

Old 10-30-2019, 01:29 PM

17,300 posts, read 22,030,713 times
2 odd parts to this case:

1. that they actually charged the grandfather, guy is likely distraught enough and they got like 80K in bail (seems crazy high for a guy in the midwest).

2. Family was quick to blame the cruise company. Who would put a kid near a window open or closed that high up?

Old 10-30-2019, 01:31 PM

731 posts, read 767,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Looking at the windows in this video, I think it’d be easy to mistake an open window for closed. Especially with old eyes, possibly cataracts, etc. The attorney likened it to accidentally walking into a sliding glass door that you think it’s open but it’s not.

I too find it much more believable that the grandfather actually thought it was closed than that he put her there knowing it was open.
Whatever the reason is, the grand father put his grand daughter in an unsafe situation. He is responsible. Not the cruise line.

Even the photo of the little girl right against the glass at a hockey game. Stupid thing to do to put a toddler near a dangerous situation like that. What if the glass broke? Even if it's not likely, still a dumb thing to do IMHO.

Went to a car race where the parents let their very young children stand right at the fence and watch the cars go around. Really? Such a dangerous thing to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events