Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2019, 01:31 PM

17,307 posts, read 22,046,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I would think it would depend on the time of day and angle of the sun whether you could tell or not. And remember he was an older person with old eyes.
He was 50 years old

Old 10-30-2019, 01:33 PM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
The point is it was an accident that could have been avoided. The WHOLE point is that he should have known better.

A child died because the grandfather didn't exercise proper care. That's his MAIN job as an adult caregiver, and he failed. It's not just pure accident with NO FAULT.

Like it or not, there are laws that apply to this exact situation.
Every accident could have been avoided.

I just don’t see the point of punishing the family when they are already grief stricken and will never get over it. Grandfather will never forgive himself as long as he lives. I just don’t understand the willingness to see him put through trial and the family impoverished and punished for it. I don’t understand this new trend of judging and finger-wagging over how people think they ought to act, i.e. they are not grieving properly, they aren’t taking enough responsibility, they were stupid, and therefore they should be punished. It’s not what a justice system should be set up for. It’s not justice.

Old 10-30-2019, 01:34 PM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
He was 50 years old
Yes my eyes started going downhill at 40.

Old 10-30-2019, 01:35 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,124,293 times
Quote:
Looking at the windows in this video, I think it’d be easy to mistake an open window for closed. Especially with old eyes, possibly cataracts, etc. The attorney likened it to accidentally walking into a sliding glass door that you think it’s open but it’s not.

I too find it much more believable that the grandfather actually thought it was closed than that he put her there knowing it was open.
I have been on many cruise ships. An open window is obvious. Especially when you are standing at the railing. I could not care less about the attorney's opinion. An attorney will say anything in an attempt to vindicate his client and place blame elsewhere.

I do believe it was an accident. But I also believe the grandfather was negligent. I also have compassion for him and the family.

Old 10-30-2019, 01:35 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Every accident could have been avoided.

I just don’t see the point of punishing the family when they are already grief stricken and will never get over it. Grandfather will never forgive himself as long as he lives. I just don’t understand the willingness to see him put through trial and the family impoverished and punished for it. I don’t understand this new trend of judging and finger-wagging over how people think they ought to act, i.e. they are not grieving properly, they aren’t taking enough responsibility, they were stupid, and therefore they should be punished. It’s not what a justice system should be set up for. It’s not justice.
The law as applied here is the definition of justice.

This is a tragedy all around, but failing to exercise due care resulting in death is a punishable offense whether or not you are related to the victim. Just because YOU don't understand it doesn't mean it shouldn't apply.

Old 10-30-2019, 01:39 PM

14,308 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
He was 50 years old
This makes the whole thing even harder to believe. He was not an octogenarian "poor old Grandpa with his dim eyesight"; he was more than young enough to be the baby's father. It would be interesting to get his wife and children together in a room and ask them if he was a crazy risk-taking father to his own children. I wouldn't be surprised. Some people never learn.

Old 10-30-2019, 01:40 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
2 odd parts to this case:

1. that they actually charged the grandfather, guy is likely distraught enough and they got like 80K in bail (seems crazy high for a guy in the midwest).
So how someone feels should determine whether they are charged with a crime? I can cause a serious accident on the highway that results in multiple deaths, but as long as I'm distraught over my actions, it's all good?

And no, 80k really doesn't seem like a "crazy high" bail amount. Even for a guy in the midwest (whatever that's supposed to mean).

Old 10-30-2019, 01:46 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Yes, I am so tired of hearing people say... "Oh, but it was just an accident...It was a mistake..." A child DIED! It should not be written off as "just an accident" as if it could happen to anyone. This goes beyond being a simple accident. This was clearly negligent behavior on the grandpa's part. An accident would be if she tripped over a chair leg while playing on the ship's deck and skinned her knee. Falling out an open window 11 stories up is not just a mistake that can happen to anyone.
It's a scale. Something like "Accidental - negligent - recklessly - knowingly - intentional", in increasing levels of culpability.

As I see it, there's clear negligence here.

Old 10-30-2019, 01:51 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,882,281 times
Quote:
They were docked, there may not have been any breeze at all.
On the water in San Juan PR in July has a steady breeze, it will even be much more noticeable that high up. You can look up historical weather info to confirm.

Old 10-30-2019, 01:53 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,882,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
I have been on many cruise ships. An open window is obvious. Especially when you are standing at the railing. I could not care less about the attorney's opinion. An attorney will say anything in an attempt to vindicate his client and place blame elsewhere.

I do believe it was an accident. But I also believe the grandfather was negligent. I also have compassion for him and the family.
I agree with all your points. Concise and clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events