Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2019, 12:23 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'd like to see pictures of what the family is describing happened.

They state that the grandfather placed the child on a window ledge, not noticing the window was actually open.

I'd like to see that. There have certainly been innumerable cases where people run into sliding glass doors because they don't see them, so it's possible to not notice a window is open, I guess. You'd think in placing her there, he'd feel the breeze.
Here is a video of the 11th deck of the Freedom of the Seas. The windows are tinted blue. It's impossible to not notice which windows are closed and which are open.

Old 07-09-2019, 12:37 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Here is a video of the 11th deck of the Freedom of the Seas. The windows are tinted blue. It's impossible to not notice which windows are closed and which are open.

At a glance, it looks like every other window is blue, every other one is clear.

But all the windows are a very pale blue, and what makes them appear darker blue is there is another pane of blue glass slid behind it - leaving the adjoining pane open? The windows above are a very pale blue, so yes, it appears the windows we're talking about are double windows, accounting for having one window slid behind another.

It seems highly unlikely he did this on purpose, but the ledge is so very narrow it's hard to believe he placed the child on the ledge and wasn't surprised that his arms didn't contact glass. How could you sit a toddler on that very narrow ledge, and not have your hands go through what you thought was a closed window?

Old 07-09-2019, 12:43 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Is dropping children out an 11 story window normal in your social circle? I don't get why those who don't do such things are being criticized for being overly "perfect".
You make it sound like he did it intentionally. Mistakes and accidents happen in my social circle, because I don't have anyone in my life who is perfect.

Old 07-09-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
You make it sound like he did it intentionally. Mistakes and accidents happen in my social circle, because I don't have anyone in my life who is perfect.
Nowhere did I say it was intentional. Yes, mistakes and accidents happen. But, dropping a child out an 11 story window goes far beyond a simple "oops... I made a mistake."

Old 07-09-2019, 12:52 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

It will be interesting, if in the coming weeks others come forward and tell about losing purses or other belongings the same way, not having noticed the window was open.

From the article I posted above, the family seems very poised to sue. It seems they would have a case if items regularly fall out due to the appearance that the window is not open.

Old 07-09-2019, 12:53 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
At a glance, it looks like every other window is blue, every other one is clear.

But all the windows are a very pale blue, and what makes them appear darker blue is there is another pane of blue glass slid behind it - leaving the adjoining pane open? The windows above are a very pale blue, so yes, it appears the windows we're talking about are double windows, accounting for having one window slid behind another.

It seems highly unlikely he did this on purpose, but the ledge is so very narrow it's hard to believe he placed the child on the ledge and wasn't surprised that his arms didn't contact glass. How could you sit a toddler on that very narrow ledge, and not have your hands go through what you thought was a closed window?
I doubt anyone thinks he did it on purpose. He probably just wasn't thinking. The railing is very narrow, I wouldn't even call it a ledge after seeing the video. And if you watch around 1:40 you can see that the railing looks to be higher than the bottom of the window. If he did place the baby there I'd imagine he either let her go entirely, which would be an incredibly bad lapse in judgment, or loosened his grip enough for her to fall. If someone WERE to put a very small child on that spot, which I would NOT recommend, a child who cannot for him or herself understand the dangers of being placed right next to an open window 11 stories up like that, at least keep a tight grip on the kid. And if you can't trust the kid to not flail, don't even risk it. She was way too young to appreciate the risk on her own, it's part of what makes it so sad.

This just sounds like negligence. A mistake but a notably horrible one. People make mistakes all the time. Parents make mistakes all the time. Not all parents make mistakes like this.

I imagine he maybe wanted her to see the view, or maybe placed her down for a second to grab something. Idk, something like that. Something innocent. And it turned tragic because she's too young, he likely either let her go or didn't have her tight enough, and the window was open.

Old 07-09-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I doubt anyone thinks he did it on purpose. He probably just wasn't thinking. The railing is very narrow, I wouldn't even call it a ledge after seeing the video. And if you watch around 1:40 you can see that the railing looks to be higher than the bottom of the window. If he did place the baby there I'd imagine he either let her go entirely, which would be an incredibly bad lapse in judgment, or loosened his grip enough for her to fall. If someone WERE to put a very small child on that spot, which I would NOT recommend, a child who cannot for him or herself understand the dangers of being placed right next to an open window 11 stories up like that, at least keep a tight grip on the kid. And if you can't trust the kid to not flail, don't even risk it. She was way too young to appreciate the risk on her own, it's part of what makes it so sad.

This just sounds like negligence. A mistake but a notably horrible one. People make mistakes all the time. Parents make mistakes all the time. Not all parents make mistakes like this.

I imagine he maybe wanted her to see the view, or maybe placed her down for a second to grab something. Idk, something like that. Something innocent. And it turned tragic because she's too young, he likely either let her go or didn't have her tight enough, and the window was open.
It seems their case is that he didn't know the window was open.

So, if you placed the child on that ledge, thinking the window was closed, you'd be guarding her front, making sure she doesn't fall forward, while allowing her to lean back against the glass.

And I'm guessing that's what happened. We'll know more, I'm sure.

The other question, did any of the many other family members notice what was going on?

Old 07-09-2019, 01:05 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
It seems their case is that he didn't know the window was open.

So, if you placed the child on that ledge, thinking the window was closed, you'd be guarding her front, making sure she doesn't fall forward, while allowing her to lean back against the glass.

And I'm guessing that's what happened. We'll know more, I'm sure.

The other question, did any of the many other family members notice what was going on?
Unless one has vision problems, based on the video it seems pretty difficult to not realize the window was open. I imagine the bluish tint has a duel purpose, both to block some sunlight when closed and also to make it obvious when some are open. It's incredibly obvious to me in the video what windows are open. And that's not even seeing it in person. Other than people knowingly going up to the railing and risking dropping items over, I doubt too many items accidentally go out those windows. I could see someone leaning against the railing, the window open, with a camera or phone in their hand, their arms over the railing and kind of out the window, and them dropping the phone or camera, or whatever. The same way someone would lean against a balcony railing and accidentally drop something. I can't see too many items making their way over because someone had no idea the window was open.

RC now of course will be sued, because of someone's own stupidity. And they'll probably just settle because it's easier that way, and this family has suffered enough. Other than not putting windows there at all (that can open), I don't see what else RC could have done to avoid this. Of course there will always be someone who wants to make obvious dangers more obvious because they somehow missed what most people wouldn't.

Old 07-09-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Unless one has vision problems, based on the video it seems pretty difficult to not realize the window was open. I imagine the bluish tint has a duel purpose, both to block some sunlight when closed and also to make it obvious when some are open. It's incredibly obvious to me in the video what windows are open. And that's not even seeing it in person. Other than people knowingly going up to the railing and risking dropping items over, I doubt too many items accidentally go out those windows. I could see someone leaning against the railing, the window open, with a camera or phone in their hand, their arms over the railing and kind of out the window, and them dropping the phone or camera, or whatever. The same way someone would lean against a balcony railing and accidentally drop something. I can't see too many items making their way over because someone had no idea the window was open.

RC now of course will be sued, because of someone's own stupidity. And they'll probably just settle because it's easier that way, and this family has suffered enough. Other than not putting windows there at all (that can open), I don't see what else RC could have done to avoid this. Of course there will always be someone who wants to make obvious dangers more obvious because they somehow missed what most people wouldn't.
My guess is the railing will be removed after this incident.

Old 07-09-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
My guess is the railing will be removed after this incident.
Those railings are a safety feature, they're not being removed. If anything RC will just add more signs telling people not to sit on the railings, lean out over the railings, or to throw items over the railing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events