Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2019, 06:11 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,283,429 times

Advertisements

Let's just assume for the moment that he truly didn't realize that the window was open. I honestly don't know how that is possible, but okay.

But wouldn't you check that the window was latched and secure before putting a child against it, especially if the intention was to bang on it???

I can't wrap my head around that part.

Old 10-30-2019, 06:12 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
If there was literally only ONE window open, that does make me wonder about their statement that windows being open was essential for ventilation.

If this does go to civil court, it will be an interesting case to follow.
Who made that statement? I was under the impression that passengers were able to open them, not just the cruise line staff?

Old 10-30-2019, 06:12 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
But especially for him, he may not be around too much longer, the stress and guilt alone may cause him to become very ill and pass.
He may very well WANT to. But again, he is 50, not 80 or 90. The chances of his passing away naturally from the stress at age 50 are very slight.

Old 10-30-2019, 06:14 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Who made that statement? I was under the impression that passengers were able to open them, not just the cruise line staff?
I don't know - it was in the first sentence of JerseyGirl's post, and I think I remember that from reading the case early on.

That there was only one window open.

Edited to add: This article, dated yesterday, states he "sat" her on the railing so she could bang on the window, which the article states was the only window open.

So he sat her on the handrail? I certainly don't want to see the video, but the video would make that clear one way or the other, whether he sat her there to lean back against him, or stood her there.

I also wonder what "rules and regulations" the lawyer is stating RCC broke with the open window.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cruise-...family-wounds/

Old 10-30-2019, 06:30 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
Let's just assume for the moment that he truly didn't realize that the window was open. I honestly don't know how that is possible, but okay.

But wouldn't you check that the window was latched and secure before putting a child against it, especially if the intention was to bang on it???

I can't wrap my head around that part.
That original CNN article I linked to also says that he "lost his balance."

That probably affected his hold on her, wherever and however he was holding her.

Old 10-30-2019, 06:32 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,927,723 times
I keep thinking the decision to charge him has a lot to do with what the prosecutors saw on the video.

I am glad they have the video and hopefully it will help shed light about what really happened.

Old 10-30-2019, 06:35 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
I keep thinking the decision to charge him has a lot to do with what the prosecutors saw on the video.

I am glad they have the video and hopefully it will help shed light about what really happened.
Yep, they always have more info than we do.

Old 10-30-2019, 07:05 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,668,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post

Yes and I hope they release it, obviously blurring out the falling child.

Old 10-30-2019, 07:09 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
Yes and I hope they release it, obviously blurring out the falling child.
I'm sure it will be released to the jury - there's absolutely zero way I'd watch it, "blurred" falling child or not. This is such a horrific story. I really don't want to see the joyful grandpa lift this baby up for an adventure and then this unthinkable tragedy.

Nope. Can't watch.

But I do think it will be informative for the jury, to be able to see the window and how obvious it should have been/not been.

Old 10-30-2019, 07:12 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,668,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm sure it will be released to the jury - there's absolutely zero way I'd watch it, "blurred" falling child or not. This is such a horrific story. I really don't want to see the joyful grandpa lift this baby up for an adventure and then this.

Nope. Can't watch.
I agree with you, I don't "want" to watch the video but I am very curious to see what happened.

I don't think the guy should be charged; this was just a terrible accident AFAIK.

The tape must show otherwise or there wouldn't be charges filed.

Prosecutors are humans too, they're not looking to ruin that guy's life even more than it already is just for kicks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events