Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2019, 03:26 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
It's the same danger, though. An open window on an 11th floor building, vs an open window on the 11th floor of a cruise ship.

This isn't like a military vessel, or cargo ship. This cruise ship should have the same kind of safety in mind that Disney parks have or any accommodation that is to be used unsupervised by the public.
Cruise ships are perfectly safe, as long as you aren't a complete idiot. There is no way they can completely idiot-proof a ship unless they completely sealed it up. But then who would want to go on such a ship?

The ship's design has nothing to do with what happened. The child is dead because her grandfather decided to pick her up, place her on a railing in front of an open window, and then let go. Who would ever have thought someone would do that?

and then to claim there is a problem with the ship's design?! Really?!

Old 10-31-2019, 03:27 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
Quote:
This isn't like a military vessel, or cargo ship. This cruise ship should have the same kind of safety in mind that Disney parks have, or any accommodation that is to be used unsupervised by the public.
Ah, Disney- the happiest place on earth where not only were there no 'alligators reside here' signs like you get near every lake at a municipal or state park in Florida but their employees were also allegedly feeding said gators, which is illegal under state law, leading to a toddler being killed by a gator walking near a lake shoreline a while back?

Yeah, those great Disney safety standards?

Old 10-31-2019, 03:42 PM

46,948 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
This isn't like a military vessel, or cargo ship.
No, it's a passenger ship. We've regulated those for at least 150 years. And in the process, fought back against a whole slew of much harder problems that are ship-specific, with pretty good success.

Quote:
This cruise ship should have the same kind of safety in mind that Disney parks have, or any accommodation that is to be used unsupervised by the public.
Heck no. It's a ship. It's there to provide a ship-y experience. That includes sea breezes and a view of the ocean. I refuse to live in a world where we have to accommodate people who cannot process the idea of a window.

(The safety issues that keep me from cruise ships are fire. Once the 5,000+ passenger ships move down the food chain to the less reputable operators, it's going to happen, and it's going to be bad.)

Old 10-31-2019, 04:03 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,753,748 times
Imagine if someone spilled grease on the deck, a passenger slid on it and slammed into the wall. That would be negligence of the ship that caused the accident. (How long the grease lay on the deck and who notified employees is also a factor/ although the victim will still be compensated ).

If grampa raises up a child to a window and the child loses his balance (or grampa loses his grip) then I do not think it's the ship's fault. Will they give the family something? Maybe. But grampa has to live with this forever and I am sorry, but I think it's his fault the toddler is dead.

Old 10-31-2019, 04:11 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,627 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Imagine if someone spilled grease on the deck, a passenger slid on it and slammed into the wall. That would be negligence of the ship that caused the accident. (How long the grease lay on the deck and who notified employees is also a factor/ although the victim will still be compensated ).

If grampa raises up a child to a window and the child loses his balance (or grampa loses his grip) then I do not think it's the ship's fault. Will they give the family something? Maybe. But grampa has to live with this forever and I am sorry, but I think it's his fault the toddler is dead.
I guess we'll see.

I can't imagine RCC going to jury trial with this; surely, they would settle. But I'd be interested in hearing the arguments both ways. Not that we will probably get to.

Specifically, if this family is going to trial they'll have to find several others who also made the same mistake of not realizing the window was open. That would be interesting to hear.

Last edited by ClaraC; 10-31-2019 at 04:20 PM..

Old 10-31-2019, 06:24 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,753,748 times
Quote:
I guess we'll see.

I can't imagine RCC going to jury trial with this; surely, they would settle. But I'd be interested in hearing the arguments both ways. Not that we will probably get to.

Specifically, if this family is going to trial they'll have to find several others who also made the same mistake of not realizing the window was open. That would be interesting to hear.
I can bet the SATURDAY NIGHT LOBSTER Dinner with the Captain, that no other persons fell out in such a manner and to climb up to the window and fall to the deck below. Perhaps in drunken stupors weird stuff happens, like two guys horse-playing when one loses his balance and falls over the rails into the ocean, Weird things and strange things have happened on crusise ships but I would be hard pressed to find a child lifted up to a window and her grampa losing his grip and dropping her 11 stories below. Whatdya think? If I were betting what would my odds be that maybe grampa might have had something to drink? (just throwing it out there) I don't think his drinking or their lack of testing? came into play here.

Old 10-31-2019, 06:28 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I can bet the SATURDAY NIGHT LOBSTER Dinner with the Captain, that no other persons fell out in such a manner and to climb up to the window and fall to the deck below. Perhaps in drunken stupors weird stuff happens, like two guys horse-playing when one loses his balance and falls over the rails into the ocean, Weird things and strange things have happened on crusise ships but I would be hard pressed to find a child lifted up to a window and her grampa losing his grip and dropping her 11 stories below. Whatdya think? If I were betting what would my odds be that maybe grampa might have had something to drink? (just throwing it out there) I don't think his drinking or their lack of testing? came into play here.
I'm certain no one else has fallen out - but I bet they've got stories of stuff like beach bags rested up there for a moment and then falling to the deck below because the passenger didn't notice the window was open.

I bet there will be several stories, of passengers who also didn't notice the window was open.

Last edited by ClaraC; 10-31-2019 at 06:47 PM..

Old 10-31-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
I'm certain no one else has fallen out - but I bet they've stories of stuff like beach bags rested up there for a moment and then falling to the deck below because the passenger didn't notice the window was open.
And what would that prove? That Grandpa treated the child as if she was some cheap, replaceable item?

Yeah, people set drinks, phones, cameras, hats, etc... on the railing, and they fall over into the ocean. But we're talking about easily replaceable items, not a child. People typically are not as careful with those things as they would (should) be with the life of a child.

Old 10-31-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
And what would that prove? That Grandpa treated the child as if she was some cheap, replaceable item?

Yeah, people set drinks, phones, cameras, hats, etc... on the railing, and they fall over into the ocean. But we're talking about easily replaceable items, not a child. People typically are not as careful with those things as they would (should) be with the life of a child.
I knew you, or one of your crowd, would say that. And pretend to completely misunderstand the point.

The point is, that I think nearly everyone can grasp, is that there will be others who state they didn't notice the window was open although they were right next to it, despite what some here assert that no one could miss that the window was open.

Last edited by ClaraC; 10-31-2019 at 07:01 PM..

Old 10-31-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
I knew you, or one of your crowd, would say that. And completely misunderstand the point.

The point is, that I think nearly everyone can grasp, is that there will be others who state they didn't notice the window was open although they were right next to it, despite what others here assert that no one could miss that the window was open.
And again, what does that prove?

Yeah, I'm sure there are idiots out there who pay zero attention to their surroundings. When you are carrying around a beach bag, not a big deal when you are completely oblivious to the world around you. But when you are in charge of the safety and the well being of a little child? Kind of important to take a second and look to see that the window is actually closed before placing said baby on a handrail in front of that window. If he had just taken a second to look, he would have seen that the window is open.

It's not the cruise line's fault that this guy is a complete idiot and can't figure out the difference between a closed window and an open window.

But all that's only if you actually believe the guy's story. I don't. He went up to the one open window? Out of all the windows, he chose the one open one, not noticing all the rest were tinted blue? Really?? No, he probably went to that one open window because he wanted baby to see the view. Maybe the baby didn't realize it was an open window, because you know she's a baby, and fell while trying to bang on glass that wasn't there. And that's why grandpa said what he said. But for him not to know the glass wasn't there? No, not buying it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events