Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2019, 10:58 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times

Advertisements

Glad to see the "Perfect Parent Posse" have made it to this thread. They never disappoint.

Old 07-09-2019, 11:05 AM

2,956 posts, read 2,341,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
I read that the child pushed on the glass and then fell through because the window was not latched. She liked to push on the plexiglass at hockey games and did the same action on the ship. Poor baby.

The video posted above helps to understand what probably happened. Looking at the video, it appears on that particular ship, the upper windows are operational as some are opened while others are closed.

I am guessing she was standing on the railing and G Pa was holding her. She pushed on one of the upper glass windows and the unlatched window unexpectedly opened. G Pa was not holding on tight enough or did not act fast enough (not even sure if he could have) to prevent the unexpected fall.
Very different than what the first few pages were accusing these poor people of doing. Amazing how fast people will hop on their high horse when zero facts about what happened are known.

Old 07-09-2019, 11:11 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
Very different than what the first few pages were accusing these poor people of doing. Amazing how fast people will hop on their high horse when zero facts about what happened are known.
Except that's not what happened. The windows slide, like a sliding glass door. They don't push out. The windows are also tinted blue, so it is easy to tell when a window is open.

You can see the windows in this video.

Old 07-09-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Glad to see the "Perfect Parent Posse" have made it to this thread. They never disappoint.
You mean those who don't stick their child on a railing in front of an open window 11 stories above a concrete pier?

It's called common sense, and doesn't take a perfect parent to know not to do that.

Old 07-09-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
(especially seeing as they had been on the cruise from almost a week)
The incident happened at 5pm, 3.5 hours before the ship was scheduled to set sail. It seems like this was their first day on the ship.

Old 07-09-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
You mean those who don't stick their child on a railing in front of an open window 11 stories above a concrete pier?

It's called common sense, and doesn't take a perfect parent to know not to do that.
Vying for president of the posse?

Old 07-09-2019, 11:26 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Vying for president of the posse?
Normally I’d agree with you but this is just next level stupidity and negligence. Assuming what people are saying about the window sliding open is true (seems to be) and given that the windows are apparently blue, it’s pretty easy to tell when it’s open. It’s just unbelievably dumb to even risk sitting a small child on a rail like that, right in front of a window, that high up.

I feel bad for this man but it seems he made an incredibly stupid mistake. Totally avoidable tragedy.

Old 07-09-2019, 11:27 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Conor Clapton was not dangled from an open window. He leaned against an unlocked window and fell out. His mom walked out of the room for a minute, but that's a normal thing with an almost-five year old. It's not like a baby who needs to be watched every second. I never read anywhere that he held any anger or blamed her whatsoever. The only anger I read he ever felt was toward himself as he called himself a "reluctant father" and he wished he had spent more time with him.
Not how it happened at all.

Old 07-09-2019, 11:32 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,283,788 times
Not sure what happened, but I feel sad for this little girl and this family. I've had a few parenting mistakes. Luckily my kids have survived them so far.

Old 07-09-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Normally I’d agree with you but this is just next level stupidity and negligence. Assuming what people are saying about the window sliding open is true (seems to be) and given that the windows are apparently blue, it’s pretty easy to tell when it’s open. It’s just unbelievably dumb to even risk sitting a small child on a rail like that, right in front of a window, that high up.

I feel bad for this man but it seems he made an incredibly stupid mistake. Totally avoidable tragedy.
Has it been confirmed that he sat her on the rail? I haven't read that. For all we know, he was holding her and she suddenly lunged (as toddlers often do).

Even the most careful people can have accidents. Yes, even the Perfect Parent Posse, not that they'd ever admit it. Unfortunately this accident had a tragic ending. Blaming him and accusing him of neglect does nothing to bring the child back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events