Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2019, 09:56 AM

11,865 posts, read 16,998,989 times

Advertisements

Is there anything that states they did or didn't perform tests to determine if he was impaired in some way? If he was, that's the only way I'd believe he didn't notice the window open.

Old 11-05-2019, 10:00 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
Is there anything that states they did or didn't perform tests to determine if he was impaired in some way? If he was, that's the only way I'd believe he didn't notice the window open.
It would have been appropriate to have tested him; however, I haven't read anything stating that they did.

Old 11-05-2019, 10:50 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
It wasn't 100 feet above the ground.

It was about 3 feet above the floor.

Since you're acknowledging he did not know the window was open, are you saying people shouldn't go up close to windows on high floors to look out?
The window was 100 ft (?) above the ground outside, and while I don't usually share the same POV with Cloudy I do not see anywhere that he is acknowledging that the man didn't know the window was open. He simply made a statement about 'IF someone thought it weren't open', which is not at all the same thing.

Old 11-05-2019, 11:02 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,065,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Because she wanted to bang on the glass which has been stated multiple times. We will just agree to disagree on jail I tnink he’s been punished enough.
Allowing a small child to sit on top of a railing, not designed for that purpose, so they can bang on glass 100 feet above the ground, seems like a rational idea to you?

Old 11-05-2019, 11:25 AM

3,573 posts, read 2,880,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't see a huge problem with it. She was used to doing it at the hockey rink, where it's apparently traditional for fans to do. She certainly couldn't bang hard enough to damage it.
That is at a hockey rink, where it's not a window but a plexiglass safety barrier.

A window, anywhere and no matter material made of, is not to be banged on by children. And if a child wants to bang on a window it should be discouraged by the guardian adult.

Old 11-05-2019, 11:25 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Allowing a small child to sit on top of a railing, not designed for that purpose, so they can bang on glass 100 feet above the ground, seems like a rational idea to you?
You can't have it both ways, Cloudy. you can't fault him for attempting to put his daughter on the railing to tap on the window, and state that he knew the glass wasn't there.

You gotta pick ONE thing to hammer this guy with.

Either he's evil because he wanted her to bang on the glass.

OR

He's evil because he knew the window was open and let her fall out of it.

Pick one.

Old 11-05-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
It wasn't 100 feet above the ground.

It was about 3 feet above the floor.

Since you're acknowledging he did not know the window was open, are you saying people shouldn't go up close to windows on high floors to look out?
1. She fell 100 feet, not 3 feet. You seem to be in total denial. 2. I'm acknowledging no such thing. I don't think he knew if the window was open or it was closed, but even if it was closed, it was reckless. 3. Yes, I'm saying that young children should not be near any unsecured window, unless an adult is holding them. I have already provided links to child safety, explaining why you shouldn't do that.

Eight children a year die in falls from windows, and over 3,300 are injured that way. This problem is right up there with leaving children in hot cars, as a big no, no for parents.

Quote:
Falls from windows are more common than people might think. According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, about eight children under age 5 die each year from falling out a window, and more than 3,300 are injured seriously enough to go to the hospital.
Window Safety

Old 11-05-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
1. She fell 100 feet, not 3 feet. You seem to be in total denial. 2. I'm acknowledging no such thing. I don't think he knew if the window was open or it was closed, but even if it was closed, it was reckless. 3. Yes, I'm saying that young children should not be near any unsecured window, unless an adult is holding them. I have already provided links to child safety, explaining why you shouldn't do that.

Eight children a year die in falls from windows, and over 3,300 are injured that way. This problem is right up there with leaving children in hot cars, as a big no, no for parents.

Window Safety
I'm looking at it from his perspective.

Putting a child on a railing when you know the window is open and any mistake will surely cause her death vs. seating a child on a railing where the fall is 3 feet. That's what we're comparing.

From his perspective, it's the latter.

So saying he chose to sit her up there over a hundred foot drop isn't accurate. He didn't know the drop was 100 feet. He thought it was 3.

To assess his judgement to place her on the railing, you have to take into account whether he thought the window was closed.

That's a little like a parent placing a child in a field of wildflowers for a picture, and not realizing the rattlesnake a few feet away, and then you saying "how stupid to place a child so near a snake for a picture. I would NEVER place my child next to a venomous snake just for a picture!" Same thing.

Old 11-05-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
You can't have it both ways, Cloudy. you can't fault him for attempting to put his daughter on the railing to tap on the window, and state that he knew the glass wasn't there.

You gotta pick ONE thing to hammer this guy with.

Either he's evil because he wanted her to bang on the glass.

OR

He's evil because he knew the window was open and let her fall out of it.

Pick one.
Please stop.

Old 11-05-2019, 11:40 AM

7,090 posts, read 4,521,984 times
I totally agree with cloudy and he deserves to be prosecuted. If that was my dad I would never be able to forgive him for being so careless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events