Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2019, 09:30 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
No, pounding on glass is not an appropriate thing for grandpa to allow. The time to teach her not to do that is as a baby, not when she's older. Why do you believe it's an appropriate activity for a 1 year old, but not a 10 year old?
You can't think of things we encourage in a 1 year old that we would discourage in a 10 year old?

I almost can't believe it.

We indulge toddlers all the time, with activities we would never indulge a 10 year old. Especially, grandparents indulge toddlers. And it's accepted.

Maybe we should have a contest, to see who can come up with the most things we encourage in a 1 year old that we would not encourage in a 10 year old.

I'll start.

Making the "raspberry" noise with their mouth.

Smearing birthday cake on their face.

Running pel-mel into people they love and throwing themselves into their arms.

Toddlers are indulged. They can learn later not to slap at glass. Or all the other stuff grandparents have babies do.

Last edited by ClaraC; 11-26-2019 at 09:42 PM..

Old 11-26-2019, 10:11 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
You can't think of things we encourage in a 1 year old that we would discourage in a 10 year old?

I almost can't believe it.
You were specifically speaking about banging on glass. No, I don't think it is appropriate to encourage a young child to bang on glass. Believe what you want.

Old 11-26-2019, 10:21 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,160,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
That's not a mainstream media source.
I know that. Other posters have read that somewhere.

Old 11-27-2019, 03:55 AM

51,649 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Judging from the interview clip, it appears that the "pounding on glass "defense has been dropped in favor of the "color blind" defense.

Neither one makes much sense. However, "poor judgment" probably isn't a winner either.

Old 11-27-2019, 04:44 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
I feel terrible for this guy. I do. I cannot imagine how awful he must feel. But, he was still negligent. There is no getting around that. Whether he meant it or not, he was negligent. Whether he should be prosecuted, I'm not going to worry about, but, he was negligent.

Why is the family so gung-ho that the cruise line should get in trouble? Is it a matter of, someone's going to get in trouble, and if they make it the cruise line, it won't be Grandpa?....
Yup, pooooooooooor Gramps, he didn't do anything wrong!!!!

And they stand a chance to pick up a hunk of change in the end too after the whitewashing PR game has played for several months.

I have been on civil suit juries (and criminal trial juries) and the number of jurors who were guided totally by sentimental reactions rather than the evidence was shocking. As a result I no longer believe that guilt should be decided exclusively by jurors, and maybe juries should just be abolished. Far too many people operate at the level of sentimental adolescents.

Old 11-27-2019, 05:01 AM

You may be right, Kevxu.

They may be going for "befuddled old fart makes horrible mistake and now the cruise line needs to pony up some cash because he feels so awful about it."

The idea that the cruise line should eliminate all windows that open in case someone picks up a toddler, leans her/him out the window eleven stories up, and then loses their grip seems a stretch even for a sympathetic jury.

Old 11-27-2019, 05:08 AM

Though I sympathize with the family and this old guy who watched his precious granddaughter fall to her death, I am less sympathetic about their lawsuit.

Such cruises are a way for families on a tight budget to afford a unique vacation. That along with the information that they are seeking donations for her burial expenses leads me to wonder if this is a family of limited financial means looking for a pay day.

Not that he did in on purpose, just that they are trying to take advantage of the situation to improve their lot in life.

Old 11-27-2019, 05:50 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
I read from other posters here that they read somewhere about the grandpa refusing a breathalyzer test, if that is true, than I think he is hiding something, and now it is too late to test for it. I would think that is mandatory, too and not optional.
Not seeing anything on google.

Salvatore Anello breathalyzer

I agree, he should have been given one if one was available

Old 11-27-2019, 08:33 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
I know that. Other posters have read that somewhere.
No it started as a comment by a reader, it hasn’t been in a single news source.

Old 11-27-2019, 08:45 AM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Not seeing anything on google.

Salvatore Anello breathalyzer

I agree, he should have been given one if one was available
Now I'm actually curious as to protocol. If there's a serious accident on any US-flag inspected vessel (I think the cut-off point is $50,000 in damage, injury or death, but don't hold me to that exactly), crew members will be drug and alcohol tested as a matter of course.

But an incident involving passengers on a Bahamian-flag vessel docked in Puerto Rico?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events