Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2019, 05:22 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,622 posts, read 17,953,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
With the way the stories keep changing, I think maybe it's time for the family to stop talking to the press. This almost seems like one of those situations where a person keeps digging themselves in deeper and deeper as they continue trying to defend themself. At some point it's time to cut your losses and shut your mouth.

I can't even. You are determined to see things a certain way, so there's no point in arguing with you. And no, if you want to teach someone not to do something, you need to be consistent; you don't start out by letting them doing it and then changing the rules later. Just like people who think it's so cute when their little puppy jumps all over them and bites them, but when they have a grown large dog and it's not cute anymore, can't figure out why they can't stop the behavior now.

Actually, no, I don't know why any of those things are encouraged in babies. What's the point?

Someone in an earlier post shared in a link that shows how the world may look to people with various types of colorblindness. It is only the most-uncommon type where a person cannot perceive blue.
The raspberry noise is a pre-language skill - did you know that? Being able to make that noise with a tongue helps an infant learn to manage their tongues for sound. Parents are encouraged to teach pre-lingual babies to do that.

And self-feeding, with your hands, even though it's very messy and inspires the cliche 1st birthday picture with frosting smeared on a smiling face, begins around the age of one and prepares the child for the later skill of self-feeding with a spoon. Teaching a baby to grab cake by the handfulls, and shove it into his mouth is a step along the way.

Running and hugging is joyful love.

Do you not have kids? All the things I mentioned, you teach. They're skills.

Last edited by ClaraC; 11-27-2019 at 05:44 PM..

Old 11-27-2019, 05:57 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
The raspberry noise is a pre-language skill - did you know that? Being able to make that noise with a tongue helps an infant learn to manage their tongues for sound. Parents are encouraged to teach pre-lingual babies to do that.

And self-feeding, with your hands, even though it's very messy and inspires the cliche 1st birthday picture with frosting smeared on a smiling face, begins around the age of one and prepares the child for the later skill of self-feeding with a spoon. Teaching a baby to grab cake by the handfulls, and shove it into his mouth is a step along the way.

And what skill does banging on glass teach?

Old 11-27-2019, 06:01 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,622 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
And what skill does banging on glass teach?
You didn't read the thread carefully.

This was the question my post asked and answered:

"You can't think of things we encourage in a 1 year old that we would discourage in a 10 year old?"

Edited to add: You know what, Sundaydrive, I'm going to answer your question about what banging on glass teaches.

It teaches her that Grandpa loves her, and wants to do fun things with her, and remembers that she likes to bang on glass. In her slappy little way. Same thing that grandparents repeating singsongs they know together, peekaboo, pattycake. It teaches her that she's very loved and Grandpa wants to bring her joy. And that's a great thing. And as with all things of babyhood - sucking your thumb, being carried on an adult's shoulders, playing itsy bitsy spider, the appropriateness of slapping any glass window will pass.

Last edited by ClaraC; 11-27-2019 at 06:38 PM..

Old 11-27-2019, 07:30 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
Edited to add: You know what, Sundaydrive, I'm going to answer your question about what banging on glass teaches.

It teaches her that Grandpa loves her, and wants to do fun things with her, and remembers that she likes to bang on glass. In her slappy little way. Same thing that grandparents repeating singsongs they know together, peekaboo, pattycake. It teaches her that she's very loved and Grandpa wants to bring her joy. And that's a great thing. And as with all things of babyhood - sucking your thumb, being carried on an adult's shoulders, playing itsy bitsy spider, the appropriateness of slapping any glass window will pass.
You know, Clara, I agree with you in principle, but I also have no trouble imagining a cruise ship employee coming along and asking Grandpa to please refrain from letting Baby slap the windows. That might never happen, but banging on glass is not quite like self-feeding or thumb-sucking; it's actually a nuisance to others. If nothing else, someone has to clean the glass. The sound is irritating. And, it just might be considered a safety issue...

Children go through these phases but I do think actively encouraging a toddler to bang on glass is not good parenting/grandparenting.

Old 11-27-2019, 08:04 PM

6,454 posts, read 3,974,828 times
Quote:
You didn't read the thread carefully.

This was the question my post asked and answered:

"You can't think of things we encourage in a 1 year old that we would discourage in a 10 year old?"

The only way they have to bond is banging on glass?

How about realizing later that Grandpa was actively keeping her safe by not allowing this activity?

Quote:

Running and hugging is love. Bowling someone over is not. Teaching a child to run into someone as hard as they can is not love. Most people I know are busy teaching their kids how NOT to hurt others.

The "smearing cake on the face" tradition isn't about self-feeding. People encourage it because they think it makes for cute pictures. Yes, I have heard people say so, and how they tried so hard to get the baby to smear cake on its face so they could get a cute picture... I even heard one say she had to do it herself. It's a Kodak moment, nothing more.

As far as raspberries, babies make plenty of pre-lingual babbling sounds without parents having to specifically encourage only one that will be considered rude down the line.

Why spend toddlerhood having to undo everything you taught a child to do as a baby?

But again, you go ahead and think whatever you want, because you will anyway. Have fun. I'm done.

Old 11-27-2019, 09:24 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,880,685 times
The baby was 18 months old, not 1 year, and that is a big difference in the development of a child. Banging or slapping glass is not what you want to teach. A responsible adult would discourage that behavior simply because you do not want to positively reinforce that behavior.

My Grandniece is about 18 months, I welcome her in my home and love her like no other but I would not allow her to bang or slap my windows, nor do I think her mother (my niece) would want her to.

Old 11-28-2019, 12:47 AM

153 posts, read 138,106 times
It is highly unlikely, IMO, that "banging on glass" would present a credible defense. Think logically:
Step-grandfather goes to an open window - perhaps one of the few windows that are actually open. Why? So the child could just sit there?

I think the story that emerged when the accident first occurred is the truth: Grandpa saw the open window, held her up to look out, she became startled and squirmed, and her death is a result of the grandfather losing his grip.

Old 11-28-2019, 08:38 AM

2,020 posts, read 1,123,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StayingAfterSunday View Post
It is highly unlikely, IMO, that "banging on glass" would present a credible defense. Think logically:
Step-grandfather goes to an open window - perhaps one of the few windows that are actually open. Why? So the child could just sit there?

I think the story that emerged when the accident first occurred is the truth: Grandpa saw the open window, held her up to look out, she became startled and squirmed, and her death is a result of the grandfather losing his grip.
Their attorney said in an interview that GrandPa let go of her for a second and she fell to her death. I suspect she was leaning against him and he did not expect her to lunge forward after he let go of her.

Old 12-02-2019, 07:01 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
Their attorney said in an interview that GrandPa let go of her for a second and she fell to her death. I suspect she was leaning against him and he did not expect her to lunge forward after he let go of her.
That's their defense? Saying he let go of her just shows how he is 100% at fault.

Old 12-02-2019, 07:05 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
That's their defense? Saying he let go of her just shows how he is 100% at fault.
No no, it's not his fault, because if the window had been closed she merely would have smashed into it headfirst and then fallen four feet down to the floor.

So it's the fault of the ship for having an open window.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events