Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 08:07 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,127,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
WTF are you babbling about?
I get the feeling some posters think the term flash mob only refers to benign song or dance gatherings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
No, it hasn't been a thing for decades.
It has for a couple of decades. Article from 2010
https://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/25/us/25mobs.html

Old 07-10-2019, 08:36 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,487,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post

The local, largely White, Far Left, Affluent Progressive community justifies it by saying it is just a part of living in the City.
No. Show me where anyone living in the city justifies this or considers it just part of city life.

Old 07-10-2019, 08:38 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,487,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
WTF are you babbling about?
He wants to use certain words/phrases, but he's too much of a timid snowflake to just say it out loud. If you're going to make racist comments, at least have the balls to just say it.

Old 07-10-2019, 08:40 AM

1,629 posts, read 2,627,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
No, it hasn't been a thing for decades.

What, do you think these gangs are making arrangements at school, when it happens during th e school year, to meet at Walgreens at 10 pm? Or calling each other on the phone during the summer? These things are all planned via social media.
It has been a thing for decades. Stores just didn't have security cameras to record shoplifters and social media didn't exist to let every Tom, Dick and Harry catch a glimpse of these incidents. Older people seem to enjoy this perception that kids today are engaging in crimes that didn't happen in past. It's false. Look at the subway system in New York for instance and how "kids" as early as 1970 were vandalizing entire subway cars with graffiti. That was almost 50 years ago. The people who were engaging in those acts are now 60+ years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
When I was a teen I wouldn't have "followed" a crowd to do this. These kids are followers. And why should a business have to bear the added expense of floor to ceiling bulletproof plexiglass. It is less expensive to serve customers elsewhere.
Most teens do things that their parents wouldn't condone because of peer pressure. It might not be something as serious as vandalism and shoplifting. But teens often fall into the crowd because they want to be part of a group.

If you knew anything about Philadelphia, you would know that this Walgreens is not in the ghetto. South Street is one of the premiere tourist streets in the city. I'm sure these kids don't care whether or not their are businesses in their communities. They will travel to other areas and do what they want. The kids get treated like animals and then everyone is shocked when they act like animals. Videos like this do nothing but further ingrain this idea in people's heads that all black youths are bad and are out to steal. This stereotype is then projected on all blacks, even though most black people are honest and hardworking.

Old 07-10-2019, 08:43 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,565,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
No. Show me where anyone living in the city justifies this or considers it just part of city life.
Yesterday, on one of the local Philly tv news affiliates, they interviewed a bunch of people who essentially said it is a "nice neighborhood, but this is part of city life....I guess." Does that mean EVERYONE thinks like that? No, but it seems to be a reflection of many if not most that live there.

Old 07-10-2019, 08:49 AM

652 posts, read 340,300 times
Ok, since I consider myself an adult, and I want to be able to converse like an adult, I will risk the wrath of C-D admins and state the obvious. All the looters were black. There it is, like it or not, but I won’t play the stupid, PC games that have, in part, contributed to a culture where this behavior is tolerated by too many people.

Does this happen in white neighborhoods? I don’t know, but I am not aware of mass looting mobs like this taking place anywhere but inner city, minority neighborhoods.

When we can no longer discuss actual FACTS of situations like this because of peoples ‘sensitivies’, than all hope for a better society is lost.

Old 07-10-2019, 09:07 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,816,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I get the feeling some posters think the term flash mob only refers to benign song or dance gatherings.

Sorry, but I have zero interest in even attempting to bypass the NYT paywall.

It's no profound observation that gang/mob looting (and that's what this is) is nothing new. But if anyone thinks that these flash mob robberies are not on the rise, and that they're not being orchestrated on social media (and followed up with braggadocious postings), I just don't know what to say.

Old 07-10-2019, 09:09 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,055,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annino View Post
Ok, since I consider myself an adult, and I want to be able to converse like an adult, I will risk the wrath of C-D admins and state the obvious. All the looters were black. There it is, like it or not, but I won’t play the stupid, PC games that have, in part, contributed to a culture where this behavior is tolerated by too many people.

Does this happen in white neighborhoods? I don’t know, but I am not aware of mass looting mobs like this taking place anywhere but inner city, minority neighborhoods.

When we can no longer discuss actual FACTS of situations like this because of peoples ‘sensitivies’, than all hope for a better society is lost.
Here in lies the conundrum for stories like these.

The perception is that city-data moderation has a vested interest in suppressing these types of observations. The reality is these types of observations tend to bring out the crazies on both sides of the spectrum, and these threads quickly collapse into internet trash flame/troll wars. It is a preemptive action at preventing these types of events that lead to the deletion of comments, and closure of threads. It is not a political motivation. Moderators are volunteers, and have full time lives outside of this website. Hovering over threads to make sure they stay civil just isn't practical.

In truth I do not have any desire to stifle these types of conversations, as long as they are done tastefully and mature. The problem is that with so many personalities contributing that's not always a realistic expectation. Since this forum is strictly for "non-controversial" topics, threads and stories that are difficult to discuss without mention the nuances of things like racial stereotypes may simply be too controversial to be discussed in this forum. Perhaps should be had in the P&OC section where things like this are permitted. I'm giving a bit more time before I make that call though. I feel in the past we have been too quick to moderate and it's affected the quality of discussions on the forum.

Old 07-10-2019, 09:18 AM

43,052 posts, read 18,231,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
2019-2010 is 9 years. Not even 1 decade.

Flash mob used to refer to preplanned group gatherings to either sing/dance in public.

Last edited by TMSRetired; 07-10-2019 at 10:32 AM..

Old 07-10-2019, 09:39 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,055,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
2019-2010 is 9 years. Not even 1 decade.

Flash mob used to refer to preplanned group gatherings to either sing/dance in public.
Black teens have turned them into "flash robs".
It is off the cuff comments like these that make it difficult to keep these threads open. It's hard for a reader to interpret the level of malice in the tone and quite a few readers will immediately interpret this as a racial dig and not an observation. This is a perfect example of a comment that leads to a flame war. It's hard to determine if certain posters are here to have intelligent conversations. A lot of people inadvertantly ruffle feathers, others do it intentionally. Intentionally ruffling feathers is the very essence of trolling.

What are you trying to accomplish in this statement?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events