Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2019, 05:09 AM

2 posts, read 5,891 times

Advertisements

One would hope a "doctor" would have more common sense and better aesthetics. What makes her think other folks want to see all that ... "flesh" and ... avoirdupois? :\
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2019, 05:45 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,134,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Whose business is it how someone else dresses?
In a civilized society we can't just go around claiming that everybody gets to do whatever they want. Your rights end where mine begin, and all that. Basically we, as a society, decide what is and isn't appropriate behavior, we don't leave it up to each individual. If you challenge those commonly accepted standards you shouldn't be shocked at the negative reactions you get. I think it makes people look clueless when they do something like this and then go to the media to express how outraged they are that not everyone embraced it without question.
Plus I'm grateful she didn't use the word 'shamed'.

Old 07-12-2019, 06:59 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,912,106 times
While she could probably loose some weight, Imho, her outfit is not too small. I think theres just too many women who want to be clothes police for every other woman.

Old 07-12-2019, 07:04 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,499,246 times
I agree with those who suggest that what we see in the photo may not reflect her appearance at the gate. Those shorts definitely look like the type that will ride and bunch high in the crack with every step. And the top doesn't have a whole lot of support. Of course she's going to get adjusted and put everything in place before taking selfies.

Old 07-12-2019, 07:18 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,469,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I read that she was going to Miami from the Bahamas... Maybe some news sources consider Jamaica part of the Bahamas?

The woman herself said she was flying directly from Kingston to Miami. The news reports that it was Bahamas were incorrect.

Old 07-12-2019, 07:35 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,021,108 times
[quote=Sundaydrive00;55646097]I saw a woman in a romper today at Target. It had spaghetti straps, but I don't think 2 little strings is suddenly going to make an outfit modest to those who think the doctor was dressed indecent.

I wouldn't have noticed her if it weren't for this story, and even then all I thought was "What's the big deal.."

But you wanting to call her "ghetto" and "Dr. Funk" explains what the actual problem is in her dress.[/quote]

Gotta agree. Seems more like Black lady getting all uppity seems to be the issue.

Old 07-12-2019, 08:05 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,418,258 times
She does look cheesy. Anything else I have to say might be considered “fat shaming”.

On a thin person it might look less tacky, but it would still need some kind of shawl or coverup. That’s just me.

Now that I look at the picture again, it’s not that bad. She’s a curvy woman, so what is she supposed to do?

Last edited by ByeByeLW; 07-12-2019 at 08:19 AM..

Old 07-12-2019, 10:05 AM

28,665 posts, read 18,775,862 times
Okay, a couple of weeks ago, the C-D discussion was about a white woman tossed out of a Golden Corral restaurant for skimpy clothing. She also posted selfies of her outfit.

We will never get the full story, nor can we presume that selfies posted by these people actually represent what they looked like when their clothing was deemed offensive. Of course their selfies are self-serving.

In every case I've seen so far, it's been clear that the clothing in question is always tacky and borderline, and that only a bit of dishevelment (deliberate or otherwise) would be enough to make it unacceptable to most people in public.

I really kind of doubt that these business workers just suddenly went off the rails and decided to rouse trouble for themselves for no reasonable cause.

Old 07-12-2019, 10:33 AM

1,411 posts, read 1,001,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I think the insinuation is that a 'real' doctor would have more decorum and class...or something.
No.. the insinuation is she can't be a doctor because she's black. Racism is alive and well but just in different forms to hide it. Why else would one commentor put "doctor" in quotes. WTH is that supposed to mean? And another poster questioned the term "family doctor" like she made the $%^& up. That's how the new racists hide their racism.

Old 07-12-2019, 10:35 AM

1,411 posts, read 1,001,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
I work in an upper middle class neighborhood and went to the grocery store there today. Not one person was in a romper, tube top, short shorts, or anything else they'd be ill-advised to bend over in. I do see a lot of ladies in rompers, tube tops, short shorts and the like at the store known around here as the ghetto Kroger.

When people present themselves as something they're not, then get butt-hurt when they're mistaken for the thing they appear to be, it's annoying. That's not part of this story, but I'm sure it's happened to Dr. Romper and I'm sure she blamed racism and sexism instead of the way she presents herself.
Your story is BS. Yeah, because doctors don't wear short shorts or rompers. Man, get out of here with that non sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events