Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2019, 03:09 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,470,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
My SIL used to work for an airline and her family and friends got discounted Buddy Pass. My daughter used that once for her flight home on Spring Break.

She was wearing her College Hockey Team's Windsuit. It showed NOTHING. Not allowed on the plane. Inappropriate dress. She had a carry on bag with a pair of khaki pants, and a long sleeved button down shirt which she changed into. She was told "still not appropriate" but would let it slide "this" time. Huh????? What did they want? A dress, heels, hat, gloves, and pearls????

After this, we never used that Buddy Pass, or flew on that airline.
YES! There is a dress code for such passes and it is very conservative. I knew someone who had a pass from her fiancé and she basically wore a high collared black sheath, hose, heels and, wait for it... pearls. Really!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 03:17 PM

17,150 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Another reason not to fly. I haven't been on an airplane in 38 years.
I've been using Amtrak lately. Unfortunately, its network is pretty limited (no direct train from Orlando to Atlanta, for instance), and if you're in a hurry to get somewhere, it's not a viable option.

But aside from that, it's how travel should be: comfortable, relaxing, no frills, just board the thing and ride in comfort.

Old 07-11-2019, 03:18 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,019,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
What on earth does her being a physician even have yo do with any of this?

I think the insinuation is that a 'real' doctor would have more decorum and class...or something.

Old 07-11-2019, 04:20 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,879,258 times
Quote:
Because you frequently clothe yourself in jumpers?

Old 07-11-2019, 04:30 PM

15,417 posts, read 9,059,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
I don't see anything wrong with her outfit. However, the flight did originate in Jamaica -- perhaps there was a cultural issue about dress and the Jamaican staff had an issue with it?

"In Jamaica, unless you are at a beach resort, you should avoid wearing revealing clothing. Shorts and miniskirts are not considered appropriate for women, so it is best to wear longer skirts and dresses."

Etiquette in Jamaica
I agree, on an island like that, the locals are going to be wearing t-shirts and long pants or Bermuda shorts, unless they are going swimming. She would have stood out as a tourist for sure.

I don't have a problem with the way she was dressed either, but there is a time and place for everything. I have to wonder why she would even want to be dressed like that on an air conditioned plane. I start freezing on a plane when I'm wearing a short sleeve shirt. I can't even imagine what it would be like to sit on a flight for hours dressed the way she was, with the AC blowing.

Old 07-11-2019, 04:35 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
Since airline passengers are now packed so tightly together, consideration for other flyers would seem to favor covering the shoulders, so those seated next to you are not squished against your bare skin.

Old 07-11-2019, 04:38 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,015,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I agree, on an island like that, the locals are going to be wearing t-shirts and long pants or Bermuda shorts, unless they are going swimming. She would have stood out as a tourist for sure.
She wasn't in Jamaica, so whatever etiquette some random link claims is irrelevant. She was headed to Miami. There is nothing wrong with wearing that in Florida. You will see plenty of people wearing much worse.

Old 07-11-2019, 04:39 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,015,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Nothing, it was actually the wrong person, similar name.

Sorry.

I can't remove the post at this point - it's too old.
Seems like a good reason not to dox people.

Old 07-11-2019, 04:42 PM

15,417 posts, read 9,059,166 times
Quote:
About 20 years for me. The only reason I would even think of getting on a plane these days, would be if I was traveling overseas. And that is probably not going to happen for financial reasons. So my flying days are over. And the threat of terrorism has nothing to do with it. But the Gestapo security and bad customer service sure does.

Old 07-11-2019, 04:57 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,818,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
She wasn't in Jamaica, so whatever etiquette some random link claims is irrelevant. She was headed to Miami. There is nothing wrong with wearing that in Florida. You will see plenty of people wearing much worse.

What are you talking about?

If you'd read the article or viewed the video, you'd know that she was in Jamaica. Hers was a flight from Jamaica, where she said she'd been vacationing, to Miami.

The entire flap started at the airport in Kingston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events