Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2019, 10:36 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
There is no evidence to support that view.

First, there is no evidence to support that view.

Second, in the bolded text above, you use the passive voice, which begs the question, just who is it that is doing this perceiving? Please repost using the active voice "Unfortunately XXX generally perceive black women as dressing provocatively..."

Now be specific: Who, exactly, is XXX?

Third, this is about one specific person and that person's choices. It is not about something as nebulous and non-homogenous as "black women" in general.

You're retreating to the passive voice again in the bolded text. Exactly who has been doing this evil socializing to which you refer? Give us a name. Be specific.

First, there is no evidence to support that view.

Second, you're using the passive voice again when you assert "no complaints are made." Who is it, precisely, who is failing to complain?

The passive voice again. WHO has this double standard of which you speak? Where is the evidence?
There is plenty of research on how society perceives black women differently than others ranging from the jezebel phenomenon to black gurls being seen as less innocent than non black ones. Feel free to use google. There is also additional research available, and ample anecdotal evidence that women that are busty or curvy do not have tge same wardrobe choices. In fact there is even an active reddit community for busty women to complain about this.

Our (American) society is full of all sorts of double standards, this is one of many. Another - only people in the “minority” positions (race. gender, ability, or sexual orientation) are admonished for not providing “evidence” and are held responsible to educate everyone on these topics, while other claims are accepted as fact with zero supporting evidence, in the statement or even available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2019, 11:52 AM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times
I flew 2-4 times a week for 30 years while working. Believe me, I've seen much worse

I was on a short hop, LA to LV, the day before the AVN Adult Entertainment Expo and Convention, OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!

Best flight ever

Old 07-14-2019, 01:02 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,645,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
There is plenty of research on how society perceives black women differently
Society doesn't perceive anything.

Only people perceive something. Actual people. Saying "society" is not answer.

Again, you said in your original post, using the passive voice:

Quote:
Unfortunately black women are generally perceived as dressing provocatively really often in many outfits.
Once again, I challenge you to restate it in the active voice, making explicit just who you accuse:

"Unfortunately XXX generally perceive black women as dressing provocatively..."

Be specific. Who is XXX? Name names. Attempting to answer that question with "society" is intellectually lazy.

Quote:
...black gurls being seen as less innocent than non black ones.
You seem to really seem to want to hide behind the passive voice. Name names. Use the active voice. I challenge you to repost in the active voice such as:

"XXX see black girls as being less innocent..." Who is XXX?

Quote:
... and ample anecdotal evidence
That's a contradiction in terms. Anecdotes are not data and do not pass the smell test.

Quote:
In fact there is even an active reddit community for busty women to complain about this.
Oh I'm sure you're right. You can always find a group of people to complain about anything - but that isn't the purpose of this discussion.

You are explicitly accusing someone or some set of people, as yet unspecified, of specific attitudes and actions.

I'm challenging you to make explicit precisely who is doing this supposed harmful thing?

Or did you just make all of this up?

Old 07-14-2019, 01:09 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Counselors don’t wear lab coats nor use stethoscopes
Which should have been a hint to the poster that she looked up the wrong person's information.

Old 07-14-2019, 01:13 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatIfigured View Post
Yes, an obese woman half naked is inappropriate on an airline, regardless of her profession. In fact, it's inappropriate just about anywhere. Isn't that common sense? It used to be...
Half naked? She wasn't topless, she wasn't wearing revealing clothing, and her shorts were an appropriate length.

Old 07-14-2019, 02:24 PM

4,047 posts, read 2,131,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatIfigured View Post
Yes, an obese woman half naked is inappropriate on an airline, regardless of her profession. In fact, it's inappropriate just about anywhere. Isn't that common sense? It used to be...

So a slender woman half naked is appropriate? If the idea is that a certain percentage of a woman's body can't be exposed, it should made no difference what her weight is. I don't understand why it is difficult to differentiate moral standards from aesthetic standards. And some men prefer heavier women, so maybe they would think a half naked thin woman is inappropriate--the flip side of what you find inappropriate.

Old 07-14-2019, 03:05 PM

17,155 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Half naked? She wasn't topless, she wasn't wearing revealing clothing, and her shorts were an appropriate length.
Yeah, I didn't see anything "half naked" about her. Covered chest, nothing see-thru, appropriate shorts, and... was she obese? Or just "thick?"

Old 07-14-2019, 03:21 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Over 18" wide... You don't fly...! (Works for me, I would appreciate not dealing with 'Spill-over' )

Being a rancher... I think Airlines need a 'Squeeze Chute'; you don't fit through, you don't go. Head home and thin down, or take a barge (if island hopping).
Forfeit you fare to help pay for the bother of someone having to measure / deal with you. Really quite a simple solution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4353QzNWXVY

Old 07-14-2019, 07:12 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,034,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Society doesn't perceive anything.

Only people perceive something. Actual people. Saying "society" is not answer.

Again, you said in your original post, using the passive voice:

Once again, I challenge you to restate it in the active voice, making explicit just who you accuse:

"Unfortunately XXX generally perceive black women as dressing provocatively..."

Be specific. Who is XXX? Name names. Attempting to answer that question with "society" is intellectually lazy.

You seem to really seem to want to hide behind the passive voice. Name names. Use the active voice. I challenge you to repost in the active voice such as:

"XXX see black girls as being less innocent..." Who is XXX?

That's a contradiction in terms. Anecdotes are not data and do not pass the smell test.

Oh I'm sure you're right. You can always find a group of people to complain about anything - but that isn't the purpose of this discussion.

You are explicitly accusing someone or some set of people, as yet unspecified, of specific attitudes and actions.

I'm challenging you to make explicit precisely who is doing this supposed harmful thing?

Or did you just make all of this up?

I'm guessing she thinks either Evil Whitey, or she made it up.

Old 07-14-2019, 08:38 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
This isn't the beach, and it's not Walmart. AA is in a very competitive business, and likely is fighting not to become a Walmart airline.
Given American's densification of their aircraft, the whole Oasis toilet set up where even an elite gymnast would have problems positioning herself onto the loo, the flight delay and cancellation issues they were having even before the 737 MAX and mechanics/labor issues made that worse, disgruntled employees in other parts of the company due to the merger..... they had gone past Walmart and were already in Dollar General territory. There's chatter in the frequent flyer world about how if you don't have elite status with AA, the economy flight experience is better with the likes of Spirit and Frontier these days.

As for the doctor, I though her outfit was on the tacky side but it's nothing I don't see every day in my local beach town, or for that matter on flights to and from my part of Florida. And her rear was more covered than what was a stewardess uniform for Southwest or PSA during the 'sexy stew' era of the 1960s and 70s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events