Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 12:02 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,467,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I know this from a LOT of experience following kidnapping stories.

When a carjacker steals a car from someone he doesn't know, and there are kids inside, they are set free unharmed pretty quickly.

Certainly, the father was in terror watching this unfold, and I really don't fault him for his reaction. It's the others.

Notice this in the future. When you see "car stolen with baby inside", expect to see the baby either abandoned in the vehicle, unharmed, or in the case of an older child, set free somewhere.

(The other thing that happens with headlines like that, is the parents were lying and there was never the baby in the car).

Don't bother reading us the statistics when our children are in danger.

If it's YOUR children at risk, go study up on your precious statistics first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 01:08 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,533,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeHoLee View Post
Convicted 24 times, and he's out on the street? I don't care if they all were only property crimes, this man was a scourge and needed to be put away before he escalated to violent crimes like this one.
He wasn't a young kid, he was 54. He could have spent 1/2 of his life in jail already

Old 07-13-2019, 01:35 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,432,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Can’t say I feel bad about the car thief being beaten to death but why do people leave their cars running with their kids inside, especially in north Philadelphia.
I know it might be very tempting to factor that into the event, but let's remember that even if I leave a stack of $100 bills on my seat in the worst neighborhood, it doesn't alter my ability to pursue the matter, or affect the DA's ability to land a conviction.

Just may increase the number of times I am called "stupid" during the whole process.

Old 07-13-2019, 04:20 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,049,230 times
I'm not going to shed a tear for carjacking Dindus.

More states need to adopt a "three strikes" rule and put these perpetual criminals away for life....or at least send them to Africa where they'd be less of a drain on our resources. It's really time to get tough on nonsense like this.

Carjacking? If you can't figure out just how wrong an activity that is, at any age, then you deserve to die; the parents may not have raised that thug very well, or at all, but that shouldn't have to be my problem and I shouldn't have to suffer loss or injury because of these cretins.

Old 07-14-2019, 12:27 PM

17,285 posts, read 22,006,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...512622361.html

Car thief had at least 24 prior arrests and convictions.
He was going to go to college
He was getting married
He was taking care of his kids
He was changing his ways
He was, he was, he was........not doing anything good

Old 07-14-2019, 02:05 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,049,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
He was going to go to college
He was getting married
He was taking care of his kids
He was changing his ways
He was, he was, he was........not doing anything good

If he was still in his teens or twenties the obese welfare mama would be crying "Buh muh boy DIN DO NUFFINZ"

Old 07-14-2019, 03:35 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,704,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Why do you want to defend someone who would carjack a car with kids in it? he had to have seen 3 kids in the car before he stole it.
Try reading the article, so you know what you're talking about.

1) Car was stolen with kids inside.
2) Car got stuck in traffic, parents pulled carjacker from the vehicle.

Are you able to comprehend the simple fact that, at that point, the kids were safe?

3) Carjacker ran away.
4) Parents chased him, caught him, murdered him.

Thus, the killing wasn't defense. It was a lynching. But you're obviously cool with that.

Quote:
[b]I'm glad I don't have to raise kids in the world today with the lunacy going on defending criminals.
Right, right. The horrors of Due Process. I bet you're one of those wave-around-the-Constitution types. Except you're only big on the Constitution when you find it convenient. Someone you despise? Hey, extrajudicial punishment is cool! You probably naively think that only 'people who deserve it' are subject to mob justice.

PS - You also probably read my post and concluded that I'm siding with the carjacker. More naivete. Actually, I'm siding with justice and the rule of law. You probably think this lynching equates with justice, but if so then it's clear that you don't understand the actual concept of justice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john620 View Post
This is where jury nullification plays an important role in stopping bureaucrats, lawyers, cops, judges and politicians from imposing their twisted view on the public.
Amendments V and XIV to the United States Constitution: 'twisted view'

Quote:
I apologize, you are completely right.

The parents should have just stood around and waited for their kids to call them from the safe location they would have been dropped off at.
No one is arguing that the parents should have intervened. The issue is that the murder took place after the carjacker had fled the scene.

Oh, I forgot - you didn't read the article, and so have no idea what actually transpired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Don't bother reading us the statistics when our children are in danger.

If it's YOUR children at risk, go study up on your precious statistics first.
Me: Why is lynching okay?

You: Because ... emotion!

Quite the fantasy world you inhabit.

Old 07-14-2019, 03:55 PM

6,449 posts, read 9,807,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
Try reading the article, so you know what you're talking about.

1) Car was stolen with kids inside.
2) Car got stuck in traffic, parents pulled carjacker from the vehicle.

Are you able to comprehend the simple fact that, at that point, the kids were safe?

3) Carjacker ran away.
4) Parents chased him, caught him, murdered him.

Thus, the killing wasn't defense. It was a lynching. But you're obviously cool with that.

Right, right. The horrors of Due Process. I bet you're one of those wave-around-the-Constitution types. Except you're only big on the Constitution when you find it convenient. Someone you despise? Hey, extrajudicial punishment is cool! You probably naively think that only 'people who deserve it' are subject to mob justice.

PS - You also probably read my post and concluded that I'm siding with the carjacker. More naivete. Actually, I'm siding with justice and the rule of law. You probably think this lynching equates with justice, but if so then it's clear that you don't understand the actual concept of justice.

Amendments V and XIV to the United States Constitution: 'twisted view'

No one is arguing that the parents should have intervened. The issue is that the murder took place after the carjacker had fled the scene.

Oh, I forgot - you didn't read the article, and so have no idea what actually transpired.

Me: Why is lynching okay?

You: Because ... emotion!

Quite the fantasy world you inhabit.

You are completely wrong about me, but at least you are funny! thank you!

Old 07-14-2019, 04:26 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,156,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post

But Due Process and justice don't take place unless the alleged perp is caught. That's why citizen's arrests are legal.

I agree with you that the father and crowd went too far in killing him. America would be a terrible place to live if vigilantism and street justice were legal. But we don't know what led up to that beating. Maybe when dad caught up to make the citizen's arrest the kidnapper took the first swing trying to fight his way out of it. The guy who kidnapped the 3 kids is the one who inflamed the passions of this guy, which is why so many of us are okay with the outcome. He wasn't just innocently walking along when a gang attacked for no reason. And we're glad he was caught (not necessarily dead) so he can't do this again to another child or children.

Luckily there is video of the confrontation, and the police are currently going over that before they decide whether to charge the dad and/or crowd with anything. At least the dead guy has some representation with the video evidence, so it's not just the living person's word.

Old 07-14-2019, 04:32 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,432,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeHoLee View Post
But Due Process and justice don't take place unless the alleged perp is caught. That's why citizen's arrests are legal.

I agree with you that the father and crowd went too far in killing him. America would be a terrible place to live if vigilantism and street justice were legal. But we don't know what led up to that beating. Maybe when dad caught up to make the citizen's arrest the kidnapper took the first swing trying to fight his way out of it. The guy who kidnapped the 3 kids is the one who inflamed the passions of this guy, which is why so many of us are okay with the outcome. He wasn't just innocently walking along when a gang attacked for no reason. And we're glad he was caught (not necessarily dead) so he can't do this again to another child or children.

Luckily there is video of the confrontation, and the police are currently going over that before they decide whether to charge the dad and/or crowd with anything. At least the dead guy has some representation with the video evidence, so it's not just the living person's word.
I imagine one of the most difficult feelings to not act on would be if you've just had a crime committed against you, but you suddenly lost all rights to take matters into your own hands, because now the suspect is "fleeing".

When castle doctrine applies, due process is a privilege, not a right. The victim either chose to spare you, or did not quite manage to permanently neutralize you as a threat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events