Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2019, 09:21 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,030,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post

I'm really struggling to believe this. Honestly, this sounds like a disappearance for attention.

If this happened, as is told, REALLY, would you tell your adult son about this?

No. I might say I was chased by a crazy man with a knife, but there is NO WAY I would tell that self-congratulating story about my privates and how much this knife wielder wanted me. No.
It's a SUPER weird detail. The terror of that encounter easily could have been conveyed to her son (and the WHOLE WIDE WORLD) without including that.

And while we're being skeptical, if they had chosen such a remote campsite, as they were known to do, and she had been married to her husband for that long, why did she have to go SO far to pee? Is she that modest around him?

I know she wouldn't have wanted to pee right there on the site, but it seems like 10 feet up the hill behind a tree, close to her husband, would have worked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 09:23 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,030,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
I tried to read the son's explanation, but the page is not available so it must have been removed. Those of you who read it, what did it say?
We would have to DM it to you because it contains words and details not allowed on this forum. But let's just say the "man with the knife" complimented the state of her privates and proceeded to threaten her and her dog.

I can still see the post FYI.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:28 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 18 days ago)

35,667 posts, read 18,034,145 times
Yes, it hasn't been removed, but I would have to agree with BirdieBelle.

If I were to copy and paste the content here, I'd be in violation of TOS.

https://www.facebook.com/gpowellhb?_..._h5h_-ZgkgLGxk

Old 07-15-2019, 09:30 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,235,428 times
[quote=ClaraC;55680660]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahncss View Post

This is her son's explanation as to why she didn't respond. This story is just . . .

https://www.facebook.com/gpowellhb?_..._h5h_-ZgkgLGxk
Thanks! Talk about TMI!

[quote=ClaraC;55680699]
Quote:

I'm really struggling to believe this. Honestly, this sounds like a disappearance for attention.

No. I might say I was chased by a crazy man with a knife, but there is NO WAY I would tell that self-congratulating story about my privates and how much this knife wielder wanted me. No.
Curious if the main campsite a mile back had restrooms and why she didn't use them. Something's off to me.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:36 PM

17,356 posts, read 11,319,818 times
There's a lot of things off. I'm starting to think this woman doesn't have all her marbles. At this point I'm not too sure the whole man chasing her down a hill with a knife isn't just a fabrication for no other reason than she's embarrassed for getting lost so easily and so much effort was put into finding her. I hope the truth eventually comes out but she doesn't sound like she's quite all there.

She became lost so easily and kept moving in the opposite direction but she's supposedly an experienced hiker? It's just all so weird.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:38 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 18 days ago)

35,667 posts, read 18,034,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
There's a lot of things off. I'm starting to think this woman doesn't have all her marbles. At this point I'm not too sure the whole man chasing her down a hill with a knife isn't just a fabrication for no other reason than she's embarrassed for getting lost so easily and so much effort was put into finding her. I hope the truth eventually comes out but she doesn't sound like she's quite all there.
It appears to me she did this entire thing for attention.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:39 PM

14,358 posts, read 11,752,437 times
[quote=ClaraC;55680699]
Quote:

Yeah, there are just...no words for that. Beyond weird. I also just do NOT understand her running AWAY from her husband, and "travelling by night"? WTH?

Old 07-15-2019, 09:48 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,110,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahncss View Post

Still, why wouldn't she walk towards the sound of a car? I'm guessing she walked away from the campground that was a mile down the road. How far did she get so fast that she couldn't hear her husband yelling for her?
I thought she got out of the car at the end of that "road", at the summit of it, basically, while he went back downhill to park at the campground they'd decided on. I must be confusing that early article that showed a photo of the high end of the road in front of the mountain wall, with a separate narrative. It's been a little confusing. For awhile there were two different stories; one LE was telling, and one the son was telling.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:58 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,944,081 times
Whoa - this entire family needs a good night's sleep before any of them say another word to anyone.

Who knows at this point what really happened, but as the lady gets rehydrated, fed, rested and speaks to LE, her family needs to step away from the keyboard.

Happy she is safe and sound. They look elated in that picture!

Old 07-15-2019, 10:01 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,110,164 times
The story she gave her son doesn't add up, or at least, not the version the son posted.
Quote:
She ran away downhill and knew that my dad was beeping and yelling but had to get away from this man chasing her and trying to rape her.
Therefore, she stayed off the main paths and was traveling by night
OK, so, what happened that afternoon, as she was running away from the man (was she carrying the dog? Was the dog running, too? Isn't the dog crippled in one leg? And wouldn't the dog's presence (unless she was carrying him while struggling over difficult terrain) alert him to where she was? ); how did she manage to get away from him between the time he found her, and sundown? There's a huge gap in the story.

She said, she had to travel at night to get away from him, but how did she (and the dog) out-run him that initial afternoon/evening? And where did she hide all day the next day, that he couldn't find her? And how was she able to travel at night, in the dark? Did there just happen to be a full moon when she needed it? If there was good night visibility, why wouldn't he have continued to follow her, that first evening?

Oh, yeah; and what about those rattlesnakes, that deterred even LE and the SAR teams? How did she avoid those? Just lucky? No matter what happened, she's very lucky to be alive.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 07-15-2019 at 10:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events