Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2019, 05:14 PM

102,457 posts, read 108,880,609 times

Advertisements

Here's a report detailing the man-with-knife story. She said it was someone hiding out up there, as we'd suspected might have been one possible scenario.
https://abc7.com/family-found-huntin...-man-/5397637/

Quote:
She strayed away to find a place to use the restroom, when a man who appeared to have been hiding out in the area chased her down the hill, wielding a knife.

Powell's family said she thought the man was chasing her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 05:15 PM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 26 days ago)

36,142 posts, read 18,424,220 times
According to this article, she was chased somewhere during her ordeal - she wasn't chased away from the campsite by a man with a knife.

My guess is it was a delusion borne out of a dehydrated exhausted state.

Although who knows. Maybe there's some nutty hermit out there.

Old 07-15-2019, 05:18 PM

17,436 posts, read 11,461,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
"IF" as it seems to be unfolding, that her story seems disjointed and unrealistic, I fervently hope that the LEO's involved make a concerted attempt to get to the bottom of all of this and if found to be bordering on some mental illness onset, the lady gets the care she needs.

If however there is something else entirely going on with that family dynamic, I hope LEO's also follow up on that as well.
She may just be delusional from being out in the hot sun for several days without food or shade or maybe even enough water. On top of that, she must be beyond exhausted.
Hopefully, she's not having early signs of dementia. The only news source I can find so far that is talking about a man with a knife is ABC.

14,451 posts, read 11,950,455 times
That's not a place where a person can live, hiding out, for any length of time. There's no water. The whole area is dry, dry, dry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
"IF" as it seems to be unfolding, that her story seems disjointed and unrealistic, I fervently hope that the LEO's involved make a concerted attempt to get to the bottom of all of this and if found to be bordering on some mental illness onset, the lady gets the care she needs.

If however there is something else entirely going on with that family dynamic, I hope LEO's also follow up on that as well.
Well, heck, if there really was a guy with a knife living up there somewhere, preying on the occasional campers, I'd want LE and the Forest Service, or whatever relevant agency, to check THAT out!

Old 07-15-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
That's not a place where a person can live, hiding out, for any length of time. There's no water.
So where did he come from? How is it he was there, when there was no other car around?

Old 07-15-2019, 05:22 PM

17,436 posts, read 11,461,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, heck, if there really was a guy with a knife living up there somewhere, preying on the occasional campers, I'd want LE and the Forest Service, or whatever relevant agency, to check THAT out!
If there was a person living up there chasing campers with a knife, law enforcement would have known about it way before now. She must be his first victim

Old 07-15-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
According to this article, she was chased somewhere during her ordeal - she wasn't chased away from the campsite by a man with a knife.

My guess is it was a delusion borne out of a dehydrated exhausted state.

Although who knows. Maybe there's some nutty hermit out there.

OK, well I guess we don't know anything for sure yet, but if he didn't chase her from the campground, she would still need to explain why she kept walking as long as she could, instead of stopping to wait while her husband requested a search crew, or calling out his name, as soon as she realized she was lost. . Didn't she think he'd look for her, or bother to report her missing? WTH??!

Every time I read about a lost hiker story, the article always says, that if you get lost, stay put! Stay in one place, so search crews can find you.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 07-15-2019 at 05:39 PM..

Old 07-15-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
If there was a person living up there chasing campers with a knife, law enforcement would have known about it way before now. She must be his first victim
Yeah, very strange. Staying tuned for further developments. I wonder if LE has had any prior complaints about that area.

Old 07-15-2019, 05:26 PM

14,451 posts, read 11,950,455 times
We did have an unusually snowy winter. There might still be a few small creeks running, if you know where to find them, even though this is the "dry" side of the Sierras. Animals can survive in such places, because they can sniff out water. People can't do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events