Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2019, 09:39 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,440,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
Or maybe it was the Hills- you know, “The Hills Have Eyes” Hills.

Sorry if that’s in bad taste. The whole thing is just really crazy. I truly hope that by some miracle they find her alive.

The stranger abduction thing does seem unlikely but it did happen to Kari Swenson, the biathlete.
I find the stranger abduction the least likely scenario.

Very inhospitable location to be hanging out in. Slim pickings for opportunistic victims.

The victims age makes her seem an unlikely victim. Yes she's fit and looks younger, but she's at best average looking.

And the dog. What abductor would take the dog also?

Also, why choose a victim so close to her husband?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2019, 10:13 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,420,150 times
I agree, Blondy.

I believe the husband is the most obvious suspect. We’ve seen it so many times before. Always thinking they’ll get away with it.

As other posters have mentioned it’s unlikely she would get far enough away to be this lost .

Years ago I delivered mail to a neighborhood on the intracoastal here in south Florida. It’s one of those somewhat upscale neighborhoods where nothing ever happens.

There was a single woman there who owned a nice house on the water. Her boyfriend came to live with her.

One day he reported her missing. I believe they searched for months. We were all asking the same question:Why don’t they look in the yard?

She was buried in the side yard. And the houses are relatively close together. Duh! I guess he figured it was so obvious that no one would think to look.

Old 07-14-2019, 10:17 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
If it’s not the husband then it could very well be The Bird.

Three teachers & two police officers saw it in Texas in 1976. In 1977 it picked up a 7-year old boy in rural Illinois, carried him the length of a field & dropped him. He survived.

Two campers saw it in Colorado in 2001. A pilot & a ground utility worker saw it in Alaska in 2002 & I saw it in Colorado in 2006.

It has just recently (2018) been seen in Alaska again. This is why when they do find evidence after those missing in National Forest cases; it’s in a spot typically inaccessible to humans.

Old 07-14-2019, 10:36 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,420,150 times
Cos, I was just checking out a huge owl - the Blakiston fish owl. It lives in Japan, Russia etc and it’s HUGE. Also the great gray owl , and the Eurasian eagle owl. Big guys!

I often wonder what rogue species there are in places where they’re not supposed to be.
We have had razorbills in South Florida. Thrown off course by storms, or bad radar?

Could the birds you see be escaped exotic birds? There are some incredibly huge raptors in other parts of the world. Or something we thought was extinct?

There were supposedly sightings of a woodpecker thought to be extinct but there was no reliable evidence.

I don’t think that’s what happened here but it’s interesting in any case.

There was a video on YouTube of a golden eagle carrying a child, but the creators admitted it was not true.

There’s another video of a wedge-tailed eagle attacking a kid at a bird show in Australia. One theory is that the bird didn’t like the fact that the kid kept zipping and unzipping his hoodie. Another huge bird.

The Phillipine eagle has been recorded taking prey over 30 lbs.

Go figure.

Off topic - for years there have been jaguarundi sightings (reliable people knowledgeable about local wildlife) at a preserve in south Florida. It may not be so nutty. Years ago someone in central Florida had a bunch of them and I believe they escaped after a storm. Heck, we’ve got kangaroos in Jupiter and one of them escaped. Fortunately he was found. His girlfriend missed him.

There is also the case of Audubon’s Washington sea eagle. He suffered ridicule because it was thoughtbthe bird didn’t exist, yet he painted a picture of it. It would be larger than a California condor.

Last edited by ByeByeLW; 07-14-2019 at 11:16 PM..

Old 07-15-2019, 12:55 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
If that's the case, it's really foolish on his part. The spouse is always the first and most obvious suspect.

And if that's the case, that means he killed the dog, too.

Keeping in mind we don't really know anything yet...

Old 07-15-2019, 01:48 AM

37,106 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
Cos, I was just checking out a huge owl - the Blakiston fish owl. It lives in Japan, Russia etc and it’s HUGE. Also the great gray owl , and the Eurasian eagle owl. Big guys!

I often wonder what rogue species there are in places where they’re not supposed to be.
We have had razorbills in South Florida. Thrown off course by storms, or bad radar?

Could the birds you see be escaped exotic birds? There are some incredibly huge raptors in other parts of the world. Or something we thought was extinct?

There were supposedly sightings of a woodpecker thought to be extinct but there was no reliable evidence.

I don’t think that’s what happened here but it’s interesting in any case.

There was a video on YouTube of a golden eagle carrying a child, but the creators admitted it was not true.

There’s another video of a wedge-tailed eagle attacking a kid at a bird show in Australia. One theory is that the bird didn’t like the fact that the kid kept zipping and unzipping his hoodie. Another huge bird.

The Phillipine eagle has been recorded taking prey over 30 lbs.

Go figure.

Off topic - for years there have been jaguarundi sightings (reliable people knowledgeable about local wildlife) at a preserve in south Florida. It may not be so nutty. Years ago someone in central Florida had a bunch of them and I believe they escaped after a storm. Heck, we’ve got kangaroos in Jupiter and one of them escaped. Fortunately he was found. His girlfriend missed him.

There is also the case of Audubon’s Washington sea eagle. He suffered ridicule because it was thoughtbthe bird didn’t exist, yet he painted a picture of it. It would be larger than a California condor.
Bird with widest wingspan:

https://oceanwide-expeditions.com/to...ring-albatross

Old 07-15-2019, 05:56 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
I still don't understand how a bird became a suspect here. There are no birds of prey even remotely large enough to pick up an adult human and fly off, never mind such a bird would be seen by hundreds of people even in Inyo county. It would need a wingspan of a small airplane.

Old 07-15-2019, 06:16 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,708,233 times
I don't think people understand just how remote this area is. The campground is located at 8500' on a long dead-ending road that climbs the southern flanks of the White Mountains, the second-highest range in California (after the Sierra Nevada, the highest range in the Lower 48). Inyo County is larger than New Hampshire but holds fewer than 19,000 people, and most of them live in the Owens Valley (in places like Bishop, pop. 3,900, the county's metropolis).

This is a very out-of-the-way place. The only people on this road are hikers and tourists of the decidedly more adventurous types, and the occasional researcher heading up White Mountains (there's are altitude research stations on the peak, but they're unstaffed as often as not). The land is not flat. There are shelves and meadows, but none are extensive, and everywhere the terrain either climbs of drops away. And again, the slopes and canyons are dotted with prospects and mine shafts.

For some perspective, every once in a while a long-lost aircraft is found in the mountains of eastern California. Entire airplanes, lost for years or decades. And a person and a dog are a lot smaller than an airplane.

It's not baffling when someone goes missing in a place like this.

Old 07-15-2019, 06:24 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
I don't think people understand just how remote this area is. The campground is located at 8500' on a long dead-ending road that climbs the southern flanks of the White Mountains, the second-highest range in California (after the Sierra Nevada, the highest range in the Lower 48). Inyo County is larger than New Hampshire but holds fewer than 19,000 people, and most of them live in the Owens Valley (in places like Bishop, pop. 3,900, the county's metropolis).

This is a very out-of-the-way place. The only people on this road are hikers and tourists of the decidedly more adventurous types, and the occasional researcher heading up White Mountains (there's are altitude research stations on the peak, but they're unstaffed as often as not). The land is not flat. There are shelves and meadows, but none are extensive, and everywhere the terrain either climbs of drops away. And again, the slopes and canyons are dotted with prospects and mine shafts.

For some perspective, every once in a while a long-lost aircraft is found in the mountains of eastern California. Entire airplanes, lost for years or decades. And a person and a dog are a lot smaller than an airplane.

It's not baffling when someone goes missing in a place like this.
Of course, but what is baffling are the circumstances. She wasn't set to go hiking. She had a dog with a bum leg on a leash with her. According to everything that has been said, she simply got out of the car with the dog so her husband could park the car and when he returned, she was gone. She knew her husband would be right back for her. They know where the husband supposedly dropped her off so it's not like they need to search hundreds of rugged miles for her. No dog owner who cares about her dog enough to take it along on a trip like this is going to make a disabled dog walk more than is needed to give it a potty break. She couldn't have walked very far nor had a reason to.

Old 07-15-2019, 06:28 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times
This story has been updated with a new video.

The son shows the place where his mother was last seen; a little area under a tree, where she was waiting with her little yorkie for her husband to repark the car and set up the tent. The area does look like an appropriate place to do a remote campsite.

He's wearing rose-colored glasses, when he says the last time his parents argued he was 9 years old. I think we can discount his opinion on the state of his parents marriage, but the video is good to watch in that it clearly tells the story his father is saying.

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...2QSPw7xI45qEtg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events