Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2019, 08:44 AM

102,233 posts, read 108,076,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Twilight zone...

My BS meter is going off.

My thoughts too but the article and go fund me both say that they found her foot prints, does not say anything about the dogs prints. It sounds like the prints just stop.

I'm wondering if they had a fight, or they left to get more supplies, they fought, it turned bad. Why haven't the SAR or helicopters with heat sensing not finding them? That makes no sense to me.

From the article -
Huntington Beach woman and dog missing in Inyo National Forest; search underway

Agree, very hard to believe.

You're not kidding. Look at Atz Lee Kilcher that fell off a cliff. He was very experienced.

You're right. A few people have been found in places where only a large bird could have dropped them.
Can a large bird carry an adult human? Those are the stories the Bigfoot and UFO enthusiasts love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 08:51 AM

17,350 posts, read 11,312,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Can a large bird carry an adult human? Those are the stories the Bigfoot and UFO enthusiasts love.
Not only that, but a large bird of prey, regardless of the species would have only one reason to pick up a person and drop them off somewhere and that purpose would be to eat them. No one that has been found in one of those places that only a bird can drop them off had signs of huge talons dug deep into their flesh nor were they partially eaten by a large bird of prey. Wild and nutty theory gone.

Old 07-15-2019, 08:53 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,453,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
The dog very well may be the key. A tiny dog that has to be protected from wildlife is a liability, not an asset, when you're out in the wilderness. Five pounds is the perfect size to be a prey item. A coyote, bobcat or even a fox could have grabbed that dog and she may not have been holding the leash tightly. The predator could have gone in any direction and if she ran after it, she may have ended up in any crack or crevice in a short time.
Agreed. And, we don't even know if the dog was still on the leash. She had a carrier where she carried the dog strapped around her chest.

The dog has been described as "crippled" whatever that means. But, in any case, she could have taken the leash off and put the dog on the ground to do its business or just let him explore.

Old 07-15-2019, 08:58 AM

14,346 posts, read 11,742,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OK, I have to say, that the coyote scenario makes more sense, potentially. I wonder if it's coyote habitat at that elevation, around all that bare rock?
Yes, there are coyotes in the Sierras in that kind of terrain. I have gone backpacking many times out of Bishop, and I've seen them. There are also bobcats, foxes, bears, and mountain lions. My husband encountered a black bear at Bishop Pass (elevation 11,900').

Old 07-15-2019, 08:58 AM

17,350 posts, read 11,312,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Agreed. And, we don't even know if the dog was still on the leash. She had a carrier where she carried the dog strapped around her chest.

The dog has been described as "crippled" whatever that means. But, in any case, she could have taken the leash off and put the dog on the ground to do its business or just let him explore.
Anything is possible. Someone with any experience with wild places and tiny dogs knows not to let a tiny dog off leash to explore a wild area. It's an easy death sentence for the dog. She sounds like she cared a great deal for the dog and was experienced with hiking in natural places. Given that, the chances that she let the dog off leash to wander and explore are probably zero.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Anything is possible. Someone with any experience with wild places and tiny dogs knows not to let a tiny dog off leash to explore a wild area. It's an easy death sentence for the dog. She sounds like she cared a great deal for the dog and was experienced with hiking in natural places. Given that, the chances that she let the dog off leash to wonder and explore are probably zero.
Again, just thinking it through... She knew the dog was old and infirm and wasn't going to run away. She may very well have set it down without a leash thinking that it would stay put and would be safe in her presence. But animals like coyotes can be very bold. I can absolutely picture a coyote jumping out and grabbing the dog from just a couple of feet in front of her, and there would be nothing she could do about it. And even if it was on a leash, she may not have been gripping it tightly and it slipped from her fingers as the predator ran.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:12 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,564,135 times
Scary thought, but why would the husband drive so far into a totally remote area to camp. ? It is possible that he drove up there to 'hide' something. "Positioning the Jeep" ?? hmmmmm.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Scary thought, but why would the husband drive so far into a totally remote area to camp. ? It is possible that he drove up there to 'hide' something. "Positioning the Jeep" ?? hmmmmm.
If we believe their kids, this is the kind of thing they did. Lots of people like to hike/camp/backpack in remote areas. I'm one of them, myself. On an ideal backpacking trip, we wouldn't see anyone who wasn't part of our small group.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
I don't think that is suspicious at all. There's a long dirt road that has campsites (with a picnic table, fire ring) at various intervals off the road.

They probably just drove until they found one they liked. Maybe the first ones they came to were already taken.

They may have just pulled over onto the side of the road to get out and check out the campsite and then when they decided to stay, he went back to the main road to park the car better or closer to their chosen camp site.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Again, just thinking it through... She knew the dog was old and infirm and wasn't going to run away. She may very well have set it down without a leash thinking that it would stay put and would be safe in her presence. But animals like coyotes can be very bold. I can absolutely picture a coyote jumping out and grabbing the dog from just a couple of feet in front of her, and there would be nothing she could do about it. And even if it was on a leash, she may not have been gripping it tightly and it slipped from her fingers as the predator ran.
The bolded was what I was thinking. Sometimes people take risks even when they might know better just because they think they are more in control of a situation than they really are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events