Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 11:51 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I wish the buffalo would have ate him!
Was he named Herb?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2019, 07:26 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
My only point about the big cats, was that both Siegfried and Roy are convinced that the cat did not attack him but was saving him. I didn’t say anything about whether I believed it was true or not just that they believe it.

Oh I understand that. It was not my intention to be disparaging or put your intelligence in question at all. Far from it. My apologies if you took the post as such. I was merely attempting to add in some factors. In regards o how big cats are equipped.

Perhaps the animal, having been around humans its whole life, was indeed trying to save him. But such animals can hurt or kill without meaning to because humans are not built to handle even the charity of a big cat.

Their sheer strength alone can be overwhelming with the best of intentions behind it.

Old 08-10-2019, 08:26 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,778,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
About your second part, the story about the cat. I don’t believe that. The cat would’ve run if the little boy hadn’t been there. That cat was saving the little boy deliberately.
But there are many videos of domestic cats chasing dogs off the property even if there are no humans around.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:44 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
I saw a video on social media of a a bear playing in the water and the title of it was “bears are just forest puppies.”

Old 08-12-2019, 12:46 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I saw a video on social media of a a bear playing in the water and the title of it was “bears are just forest puppies.”
Yet it's pretty much true. I can think of a lot of animals that I would be more worried more about running into then a bear. Any large dog, for one. Bears killed by humans per year: 50,000. Humans killed by bears per year: 0.5. Bears are about as harmless as any large animal can be. That said, you should probably keep your distance from them, and always carry a can of bear spray when in their habitat.

Old 08-12-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Yet it's pretty much true. I can think of a lot of animals that I would be more worried more about running into then a bear. Any large dog, for one. Bears killed by humans per year: 50,000. Humans killed by bears per year: 0.5. Bears are about as harmless as any large animal can be. That said, you should probably keep your distance from them, and always carry a can of bear spray when in their habitat.
Put a cub in your scenario and that pepper spray isn’t going to do jack, other then make make the bear wish she has some salt to even the taste of the pepper out.
In all reality bear spray might be your undoing.

https://midcurrent.com/experts/does-bear-spray-work/

Yes, bear spray works, but bear-attack authority Dr. Stephen Herrero says, “Don’t bet your life on it.” Which means don’t think all you need to do is strap on a canister of Bear Mace and you’re good to go. Before you start thinking of what to do if you have an uncomfortable bear encounter, learn the best ways to avoid the situation in the first place. Study the best ways to carry and store food, how to recognize recent bear activity, how to make enough noise to warn bears of your presence, and how to best avoid those areas where you might surprise a bear. There’s plenty of info out there to help you hike, camp, and fish safely in bear country.

That said, sometimes a dangerous encounter is unavoidable, and you need to be prepared. As far as the gun-vs.-spray debate goes, you might be surprised to learn that a 2008 paper by Herrero and three other researchers found that bear spray ismore effective than a gun in stopping a bear attack. First of all, are you sure you could hit a bear that’s charging you? I doubt I could. And even if you do hit it, researchers found that it takes an average of four rounds to bring down a brown bear. And a wounded bear is an angry bear.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:20 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Put a cub in your scenario and that pepper spray isn’t going to do jack, other then make make the bear wish she has some salt to even the taste of the pepper out.
In all reality bear spray might be your undoing.

https://midcurrent.com/experts/does-bear-spray-work/

Yes, bear spray works, but bear-attack authority Dr. Stephen Herrero says, “Don’t bet your life on it.” Which means don’t think all you need to do is strap on a canister of Bear Mace and you’re good to go. Before you start thinking of what to do if you have an uncomfortable bear encounter, learn the best ways to avoid the situation in the first place. Study the best ways to carry and store food, how to recognize recent bear activity, how to make enough noise to warn bears of your presence, and how to best avoid those areas where you might surprise a bear. There’s plenty of info out there to help you hike, camp, and fish safely in bear country.

That said, sometimes a dangerous encounter is unavoidable, and you need to be prepared. As far as the gun-vs.-spray debate goes, you might be surprised to learn that a 2008 paper by Herrero and three other researchers found that bear spray ismore effective than a gun in stopping a bear attack. First of all, are you sure you could hit a bear that’s charging you? I doubt I could. And even if you do hit it, researchers found that it takes an average of four rounds to bring down a brown bear. And a wounded bear is an angry bear.
Did you even read what you posted? It starts off with "Yes, bear spray works", and it's more effective then a gun. What more do you want? And yes it does work perfectly well with cubs around too. Though pretty much anything would work, because bears really don't want to mess with humans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWYV7bYUXcA

Old 08-12-2019, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Did you even read what you posted? It starts off with "Yes, bear spray works", and it's more effective then a gun. What more do you want? And yes it does work perfectly well with cubs around too. Though pretty much anything would work, because bears really don't want to mess with humans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWYV7bYUXcA
Did you?

Don’t bet your life on it.” Which means don’t think all you need to do is strap on a canister of Bear Mace and you’re good to go. Using bear spray is a lot like shooting a gun you have to stay calm, and aim when you have a bear weighing 800- 3000 pounds charging at you, depending on the bear in question. All that without crapping your pants. Is the wind blowing in your favor? Is the bear in range enough for you to hit him with the spray? Because the bear isn’t going to give you a second shot at spraying him again.

Different article same person wrote it as the first one I posted.

This has been tested in the wilds by bear scientist Dr. Stephen Herrero, according to whose research, in 94% (15 out 16) of the cases, the deterrent was successful in stopping the aggressive behavior of the bear. This is an encouraging metric no doubt, but it is worth noting that in 3 of the cases where the animal was stopped at first, it RESUMED its aggressive behavior and managed to injure the defender, even after receiving a substantial dose of the deterrent.

From Dr. Herrero’s research, it is evident that successful self-defense through the use of this product is dependent on a number of factors, which include:

The gender of the attacking bear (females seem to be more hostile, possibly because of their cubs).
The distance between the person and the attacker when the product was used.
The number of doses sprayed.
The approach of spraying adopted by the defender.

https://www.bushcraftpro.com/does-bear-spray-work/

Old 08-13-2019, 11:56 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,648,730 times
It reminds me of a story of a lady who was attacked by an animal in a park, in the interview, she told the reporter that she said to the animal that she comes in peace....I guess she did say it loud enough.

Old 08-14-2019, 05:30 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
It reminds me of a story of a lady who was attacked by an animal in a park, in the interview, she told the reporter that she said to the animal that she comes in peace....I guess she did say it loud enough.
Yes there have been multiple incidents of people with mental illnesses thinking they could bond with wild animals. They’re not normally tourists on vacation though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events