Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2019, 09:30 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,529,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't think there's a connection. People were able to handle "Gentle Ben" without thinking they can go up to bears, and Born Free without thinking they can befriend a wild lion. I think this family was just a typical tourist family whose kid wandered off for a second and went to go see what a large crowd of people were doing. No, it wasn't the brightest move on anyone's part, but they aren't simpletons who thought that much differently than anyone else in the park that day. They are just the ones whose kid got thrown that day. I also don't think most people see bison as the same category as lions or other wild animals, they appear to be while not tame, they don't look like an animal that will charge out of the blue. Again was the family ignorant of the dangers? Yes. Are they idiots who deserve to be browbeaten all over social media? Not IMO.
I disagree I think people are ignorant as you said and In the era of those movies you mentioned people seemed to be smarter then what we see walking around now. If they can’t understand the meaning of a Wild animal they should stay home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 09:53 AM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I think your missing my point.

Disney has romanticized animals in their movies, shows, etc To the point where people don’t see animals as being dangerous .
I dont think Disney is to blame but I agree with the fact the Disney romanticized wild animals. I think this influence peoples perception and actions. Look what happened after 101 dalmatians, Beethoven, Marley and Me.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:48 AM

11,049 posts, read 6,637,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I dont think Disney is to blame but I agree with the fact the Disney romanticized wild animals. I think this influence peoples perception and actions. Look what happened after 101 dalmatians, Beethoven, Marley and Me.
What happened?

Old 08-05-2019, 10:56 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
it started with Steamboat Willie instilling the belief that rats could grip a steering wheel and were equal (if not better) than humans

Old 08-05-2019, 02:24 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,778,248 times
Quote:
I’m just saying if I’m at a tourist spot and I see a large crowd gathered looking at something, I’m going to go over and join them to see what they’re looking at. I think most people would.
My first reaction is that I should avoid whatever it is they are gathered at.

Old 08-05-2019, 02:27 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,778,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Blame it all on cartoons?

Please don't ever have kids.
I don't blame it ALL on cartoons. But I do blame some of it on cartoons/Disney. Think of this: kids in NYC who have never seen wildlife in their whole lives, where do they get their knowlege of animals from?

Old 08-05-2019, 02:33 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
I don't blame it ALL on cartoons. But I do blame some of it on cartoons/Disney. Think of this: kids in NYC who have never seen wildlife in their whole lives, where do they get their knowlege of animals from?
The zoo? School? TV shows like Wild Kingdom? Lots of places. I grew up on Disney but it never made me think wild animals are tame, I think that's just silly. I never saw a lion outside of the zoo but I never thought they were tame living in NYC has nothing to do with it. I grew up in the country but never saw a bison.

If people took Disney cartoons as the way animals really are, then no one would ever have a cat (cats are always villains in Disney movies) and no one would kill mice, or crickets.

Old 08-05-2019, 05:04 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,529,645 times
Quote:
The zoo? School? TV shows like Wild Kingdom? Lots of places. I grew up on Disney but it never made me think wild animals are tame, I think that's just silly. I never saw a lion outside of the zoo but I never thought they were tame living in NYC has nothing to do with it. I grew up in the country but never saw a bison.

If people took Disney cartoons as the way animals really are, then no one would ever have a cat (cats are always villains in Disney movies) and no one would kill mice, or crickets.
I don’t watch TV myself last time I did most of the nature channels had become reality TV. And what schools teaches that animals can be dangerous?

Old 08-05-2019, 06:10 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,528,085 times
Quote:
I don't think there's a connection. People were able to handle "Gentle Ben" without thinking they can go up to bears, and Born Free without thinking they can befriend a wild lion. I think this family was just a typical tourist family whose kid wandered off for a second and went to go see what a large crowd of people were doing. No, it wasn't the brightest move on anyone's part, but they aren't simpletons who thought that much differently than anyone else in the park that day. They are just the ones whose kid got thrown that day. I also don't think most people see bison as the same category as lions or other wild animals, they appear to be while not tame, they don't look like an animal that will charge out of the blue. Again was the family ignorant of the dangers? Yes. Are they idiots who deserve to be browbeaten all over social media? Not IMO.
Everybody else was doing it!

When you go in the entrance gates, they give you a warning sheet that says to stay back away from the buffalo specifically because they will charge. And they tell you verbally how far back to stay from the wild animals with a hand-out. There is absolutely no excuse to be ignorant of the dangers.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:12 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
Yellowstone is full of warning signs.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events